Can Jehovah's Witnesses do Pilates

by I quit! 10 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

My wife is going start exercising again so I am thinking about trying to get her to take a Pilates class or at least get a CD to work out with. Does anyone know if the Watchtower finds anything wrong with Pilates? I'm sure Yoga is right out although I did it as a JW but then again I did a lot of things they said you couldn't do if I felt there was nothing wrong with them. I'm sure they might say something like it will take valuable time from the door to door work that is a given but what I am wondering about is do they claim demons will get you or some garbage like that if you do Pilates.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I doubt they could flex their heads of their asses to do it!

But seriously though - I think Yoga was out because it involved deep breathing and meditation which JWs associate with spiritistic practices. Absolute balderdash of course. If pilates involves the meditation aspect then it could be disallowed for that reason.

Hope your wife enjoys - hear it can be very beneficial.

• blondie
    blondie

Around 1914, Joseph Pilates was a performer and a boxer living in England and, at the outbreak of WWI, was placed under forced internment along with other German nationals in Lancaster, England. There he taught fellow camp members the concepts and exercises developed over 20 years of self-study and apprenticeship in yoga, Zen, and ancient Greek and Roman physical regimens. It was at this time that he began devising the system of original exercises known today as "matwork", or exercises done on the floor. He called this regimen "Contrology." A few years later, he was transferred to another camp, where he became a nurse/caretaker to the many internees struck with wartime disease and physical injury. Here, he began devising equipment to rehabilitate his "patients," taking springs from the beds and rigging them to create spring resistance and "movement" for the bedridden.

http://www.pilatesmethodalliance.org/whatis.html

But then most JWs would not investigate that far. I know some that practice Tai Chi without realizing that it is a first level martial art.

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~maa1/chi/taichi/martial2.htm

• V
    V

Pilates is not mentioned specifically by the WTS. Most JWs I know have no problem with it.

Yoga has been directly condemned by the WTS in the poorly researched and biased Watchtower article, "Yoga--Just an Exercise or Something More?" (August 1, 2002, pg 20)

The irony is that pilates borrows many postures from yoga, as does physical therapy and even routine warm-ups.

Of course, the pilates name can be traced back to Pontius Pilate, the unwitting tool of Satan who was used to unfairly judge Jesus. This indicates that this form of physical exercise is actually a form of worship to the Devil himself...

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Blondie - the more I read here the more I think that the watchtower should come with a disclaimer:

"This magazine has been poorly researched and none of the characters within are intended to represent actual persons living or dead"

• I quit!
    I quit!

Thank you for the help guys. It looks like they haven't found anything wrong with it yet so I guess it is ok for them to do it. Once they make the connection V made with Pontius Pilates I'm sure it will be out.

Crumpet, I would think the members of the Governing Body would have to do some Pilates or Yoga exercises before being elected to the GB in order to get their heads far enough up their behinds to make decisions they make once they are on it.

Blonde I'm surprised that a JW would take Tai Chi even if they don't know it is a form of martial art I would think it wouldn't take them long to realize that it is full of eastern thought and religion.

• blondie
    blondie

I quit, you'd be surprised what individual JWs do to validate a choice they have already invested money in. This JW said they had asked a Chinese workmate if Tai Chi was a martial art, obviously thinking that all Chinese are experts on Tai Chi and JW doctrine. Even when I showed them an article from a magazine on Tai Chi, describing it as a martial art, they refused to believe it. Not being a total idiot, I didn't push it with them. Many JWs practice this motto, "ignorance is bliss."

Blondie

WHAT IS TAI CHI

Tai chi is a Chinese martial art that is primarily practiced for its health benefits, including a means for dealing with tension and stress. Among the martial arts, there are two basic types: the hard martial arts and the soft martial arts. The latter are also called internal arts. Examples of the hard martial arts are karate and kung fu (or wushu). Examples of the soft martial arts are ba gua and tai chi.

Tai chi emphasizes complete relaxation, and is essentially a form of meditation, or what has been called "meditation in motion." Unlike the hard martial arts, tai chi is characterized by soft, slow, flowing movements that emphasize force, rather than brute strength. Though it is soft, slow, and flowing, the movements are executed precisely. ....

http://www.mtsu.edu/~jpurcell/Taichi/taichi.htm

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Just checked the 2006 cd rom - No mention there .

• blondie
    blondie

(smile) So Bluesbrother, does it follow then as it does with the Bible, that just because the Bible doesn't mention it does it make it right? (blood transfusion, e.g.)?

I'm sure this JW looked it up and found it was not mentioned in the CD.

If it wouldn't blow my cover, I would call Bethel.

BTW, do you know how I can get a copy of the 2006 CD without going to the KH?

Blondie

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I doubt if JW's have time for Pilates.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit