How did Jesus suffer?

by onacruse 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Carmel
    Carmel

Perhaps Craig another element of physical reaction to sever pain is possible in the case of Jesus' experiance. There are recorded stories of early Persian Baha'is that were tortured by the Mullas by having their skin cut and lighted candles shoved into the flesh where they burn down until the burning wax seared the body. A victim would have as many as twenty candles lit on his body at one time trying to enduce a recantation of faith. Survivors testified that the pain was innitially unbearable but after a brief period all sensation went away and it was almost like an "out-of-body" experiance seeing themselves being dragged through the streets lit up like a christmas tree yet feeling nothing. I don't know if it was the product of being God-intoxicated or another psychological reaction akin to shock that literally protected them from enduring extended agony, but I would guess that both might be at play in a synergistic response. Just a thought. carmel

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey onacruise!..Welcome Home!!..I think being nailed to a cross would count as suffering..I don`t care how tough you are,thats gotta suck!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• onacruse
    onacruse

Carmel, as I suggested above, before Saturday I'd never considered the possibility you mention. Your post adds to that.

Nark mentioned Docetism. I dug out a book about it (A History of the Christian Church), and I'll transcribe what it said about this period of theological upheaval. Again, not something that I'd ever given any serious thought.

As for the passage from Peter, I've still got a bit of researching to do.

OUTLAW: And here I thought you were tough!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit