Why do people act so weird on the internet?

by serendipity 17 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I talk to only two people on IM. I keep my IM's blocked for almost everyone. I don't have the time to speak to people endlessly on IM. Besides, Andy and my grandsons freak out enough about the time I spend on line, specifically here at JWD.

I'm not much of a phone talker either. Except to my daughter, I talk to her all the time. I'd much rather speak to people face to face. I love good conversation. I like posting on Active Topics here better than chatting in a chat room. I learned during my first experiences on line that if you are female, you are prey. There will be propositions right and left to have cyber, once certain guys realize you're a woman. I jes ain't got time fer it no how. My yearz of bein' impressed by the interest of mens who lack self control, dignity and good judgment are loooong gone.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

people act "weirder" on the internet than in person because of the anonimity

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    people act "weirder" on the internet than in person because of the anonimity

Right on, bobba! Online I can be Bootsy Collins or Sir Nose d'Voidoffunk, or a Viking, or a pirate, or a ninja, or anything!! Heck that might be a good screenname: PirateVikingNinja_587

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

I think that sometimes people forget that their online friends are not just entities living within their own monitor, but are actually real people with lives of their own.

Sometimes there isn't even time to type 'brb' if a domestic crisis suddenly occurs, and for a person to get offended so easily says a lot about them themselves. Obsessive is the word that springs to mind.

tim

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

I suspect that people online get to act the way they wish they could in real life (sometimes). At least, some people. I don't use any instant messaging services. I can't think of the last time I have. It's been years.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

FlyingHIghNow said,"if you are female, you are prey. There will be propositions right and left to have cyber, once certain guys realize you're a woman. I jes ain't got time fer it no how. My yearz of bein' impressed by the interest of mens who lack self control, dignity and good judgment are loooong gone."

I too was dismayed (although not surprised) to discover that what FHN says is true, as soon as I got online for chat. Second or third time in chat: rude behaviour/proposition from an "unhappily married guy;" and immediately afterwards (in the same chatroom): a friendly discussion with a woman who logged off as soon as I told her my height and weight . . . (which isn't horrible, though I knew when she asked "she" probably was some kind of predator) . . . shallow, judgemental, rude and suspiscious to ask someone's height and weight, nonetheless. I suspected she'd log off after I suggested that I was obese . . .which "she" did . . . (That was in an atheist chat, not here.)

• FreeChick
    FreeChick

I've read information that shows communication split as follows: 1/3 is what a person says (the words), 1/3 how it is said (voice tone) and 1/3 how a person appears while speaking (body language/facial expressions). So with electronic communication, it's easy to see why things may be misinterpreted since approximately 2/3 of the intended communication is missing.

I send out anywhere from 75-100 emails per day at work. Not all of them are worded correctly...gasp. Thankfully, co-workers call to clarify things before jumping to conclusions. I also work in an environment where immediate responses are necessary. So emailing starts at around 6a and ends around midnight on a good day.

On another note, It's unfortunate when people take advantage of the anonymity of the internet by being rude.

FreeChick

• greendawn
    greendawn

The lack of accountability encourages many to put away their inhibitions and let out their frustrations in a way they can not in real life. It's a case of wanting to let out steam to release emotional tension. Overall it was an interesting study about on-line psychology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit