The Alpha Course Holy Spirit Week End?

by Mrs Smith 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

My hubby and I are doing the Alpha course and are finding very interesting. In about 3 weeks time we have been invited to a weekend away to go through the information on the Holy Spirit. Has anyone on this forum been on this weekend. I'm a little nervous about going, not sure what to expect.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It's a cult!

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

LMAO . But seriously, anyone??

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

it should be ok - if the course is being run properly it should be a good time of fellowship and learning, just like the other weeks only longer.

Don't let anybody pressurise you into behaving in a certain way - and if everyone else is praying in tongues/falling over or whatever but it isn't happening to you, don't feel that you've been somehow 'missed out' or are less spiritual. (Try not to get freaked out either if these things happen to you or others!)

The Spirit moves where He will, and in His own way according to each one's need.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Thanks Sad emo.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'd ask if this is part of the course or something special this particular church is putting on. I suspect this is an add-on. If you don't feel comfortable, don't go. You won't be shunned!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hi jgnat

The Holy Spirit weekend is part of the Alpha course, 'the Holy Spirit' is taught over 3 or 4 sessions so a lot of churches (such as my own) just cram it all into one day! The bigger ones - such as HTB (where the course originated) which can afford to hire a venue for a weekend do it that way.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks, Sad Emo!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I went and it was fun. We had our talk sessions but we also got to have fun. I tried cross-country skiing and promptly fell hard enough to say I was done lol

People played indoor games or outdoor activities. It certainly wasn't like going to a convention. No religious sales pressure either

From what I recall it was just a lot of very nice fellowship with other people.

No speaking in tongues. No chanting. If you enjoyed the rest of the course the weekend is just more of the same with a lot of good feeling time.

It was a good example that life can be enjoyed without fear that God is gonna getcha

• Gadget
    Gadget
    It's a cult!
    LMAO . But seriously, anyone??

I heard a few different things about this. Some people praise it, but I've heard a lot of complaints about it in the UK too. At a conference last year I spoke to a few university lecturers who were concerned about the way their students were being recruited onto the course, and the numbers that were doing so. I've corresponded with others who felt uncomfortable at the pressure to conform they experienced on the course. I think its probably something like AA - it can be (and is!) helpful to a lot of people, but it can be misused too. You just need to watch your step. My advice would be that if its something you want to do, then do it. But before you go I would read up on techniques of persuasion, and if you feel uncomfortable about anything you see or experience over the weekend then have the conviction to be able to walk away and not just go along with the crowd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit