Is it legal to upload music?

by MsMcDucket 11 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I just uploaded a song that I bought to a web page called http://boomp3.com I don't know if it's legal to do that? Does anyone else know? It converts songs to mp3 and makes a html code for the songs too.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Well, I just looked it up on the web and it says that IT IS ILLEGAL. Even you didn't intend for other to copy it. So, I'm going to take it down.

• exwitless
    exwitless

Good to see someone doing the right thing in a case like this. I don't know, maybe what you had was OK. But I do feel strongly against illegally obtaining music or software. It's stealing, just the same as walking into a store and putting a CD in your coat pocket and walking out without paying.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Good to see someone doing the right thing in a case like this. I don't know, maybe what you had was OK. But I do feel strongly against illegally obtaining music or software. It's stealing, just the same as walking into a store and putting a CD in your coat pocket and walking out without paying.

Exwitless, I just uploaded one song. Thank goodness! But, when I went back to take it down, I couldn't; so, I reported as a copyright infringement. Hopefully, the owner of boomp3 will take it off!

• Robdar
    Robdar

If you don't pay for it, it isn't legal. Even if you pay for it, you are not supposed to share the downloads with others.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    It's stealing, just the same as walking into a store and putting a CD in your coat pocket and walking out without paying.

Ahemmmm..cough cough bool-sheiat

Starting to believe the propoganda are we now? Exactly what is "stolen" when I copy a CD? There might be copy-right infringement, but that depends on which country you happen to be in.

There is a huge difference; one is a CRIMINAL act and the other is at best a civil one.

• Mystla
    Mystla

Guess this makes you a pirate.... pass the rum

Don't worry about getting in trouble, they only bust 6 year olds for this crap.

Misty

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

If the program kicks back money to the music corporations then it's legal, otherwise it's considered illegal.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy
    It's stealing, just the same as walking into a store and putting a CD in your coat pocket and walking out without paying.

Ahemmmm..cough cough bool-sheiat

Starting to believe the propoganda are we now? Exactly what is "stolen" when I copy a CD? There might be copy-right infringement, but that depends on which country you happen to be in.

There is a huge difference; one is a CRIMINAL act and the other is at best a civil one.

The issue outlined in the initial post was not about the copying of the music, but really about a distibution issue - and I want to point out, in the U.S.. It is true that you are sometimes grantedthe right to copy music or software, but copying music for personal backup was not the thrust of the initial post. It was - unintentional or not - about distribution.

So bool-sheiat right back at ya.

Whatever you want to call it, Minister-Amos, if they decide to lower the boom on you and go for a six figure fine per infraction (which is the standard in the U.S.), you won't care about semantics at that point. So far, the companies are just smacking citizens on the wrist with small fines in the thousands of dollar range. That is still a lot though. Software license infringement issues are huge for companies though. I recall one univeristy that literally had to shut its doors and went under because they were not in compliance when their licenses were audited. It will eventually move that way for everybody as companies successfully prosecute more ordinary citizens. People need to understand (and to be fair and nice about it, many quite honestly don't) that when they copy music or software and distribute it in any way, that they are usually doing something illegal and that - if the copyright holder chooses to pursue the issue- can ruin them financially. This doesn't even touch on the right/wrong aspect of it. So, be safe everybody. Don't pirate .

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

So "uploading" is just as bad as "downloading"? I didn't copy it. I put it ON a web site.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit