My recent conversation with a JW

by onlycurious 5 Replies latest jw friends

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

I had a great conversation with my witness employee last night. She was baptised 1 yr ago and her mom is studying, too. So far no other family members are in.

I ask a lot of questions and she doesn't always have all the answers for me. That's okay because most of the time I already know the answers anyway, I am just asking her PERSONALLY what she thinks.

I told her last night I was so surprised she is a witness because of her young age and the culture of our younger generations is one of independence and free thinking. Yet the witnesses are SO structured. She told me she had gone to a Lutheran church and her friend told her to just take communion and act like she knows what she is doing. This greatly offended her and she knew immediately that she should be with the witnesses. Her mom had been studying with them at the time and it was important to her that she find the truth.

Also, I asked her if it was hard for her to look around and see all the people who are going to be 86'd in the Big A. She asked me to clarify so I used myself as an example, asking her if it made her sad to know that someone like myself is going to be wiped out by Jehovah. Her explaination was that she goes around and tells everyone about the truth and it is up to them. She said they are a very social group of people and aren't trying to hide the truth.

The cool thing about this is that she actaully came out and asked me a very pointed questions...."What do you mean when you call yourself born-again?" Wow....that opened the floodgates. Surprisingly enough, John 3:3 in her bible also said 'born-again' so I am wondering what they do with this scripture.

She said she was going to cross-reference it and I suppose she is going to ask her mentor.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi onlycurious,

In my experience, people who have only recently joined the jws don't really know much more than basic doctrines anyway, and they are are also at the "very convinced it's the truth" stage, and thus not easy to reason with. As for the text you used, she will most likely ask one of her elders about it. Jehovahs witnesses believe that only the anointed are born again, which is likely to be what she will tell you.

• needproof
    needproof

It's a difficult one. Most likely she will run to her mentor and come back more brainwashed than ever. Perhaps it may be better to tell her straight 'get out while you still can'.

• aanita
    aanita

Since she and they are focused on scriptures fight fire with fire or scriptures with scriptures.

Tell her you know they use Acts 15 saying "abstain from blood" as if applied to modern emergency transfusions of whole blood but how is she able to reconcile

Matthew 12:7 where Christ says God wants "mercy not sacrifice" when surely the death of even one single adult or child is sacrifice, and also

1 Samuel 14:32 where to stay alive all Saul's men ate blood with meat and were not punished with death, only having to build an altar to show they were sorry it had been absolutely necessary, and that due to the Mosaic Law then being in effect

Also, using reasoning rather than scriptural basis you can ask her:

how do you reconcile the Watchtower Society interpretations with the fact that organ transplants have whole blood in them and yet JWs can and do take those?

what about the fact that many identical twins transfuse whole blood back and forth to each via a shared placenta?

If you want more such Questions For Reasoning email me at [email protected]

• Mystla
    Mystla

Welcome Aanita! That's some great reasoning, too bad most JW's are unable to see reason. There is no reasoning with the unreasonable, they have to be ready to see it in order for it to sink in.

Misty

• moshe
    moshe

the WT "transfusion confusion" topic in Canada concerning the JW premies is the hot topic right now. I wish I had some time to unload on a JW about this story- back to work for six weeks- no extra time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit