computers need ventilation, who knew?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 16 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Hecklerboy: Well, this desk is one from my husbands place of work that they were selling to upgrade. The back is metal. Hm. I wonder if maybe my hubby could do what you suggested, it would be way more practical. Thanks for the suggestion!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Temperature monitoring only works if you have a temperature sensor on your motherboard. Many do not, hence no icon in the system tray.

The rule of thumb is leave a couple of inches of room from the fan hole at the back of the computer to any walls, etc.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I just hate to pay someone else to do something that I can learn to do myself.

I started this all with a microwave that had blown a fuse. For a $75 service call I sat and watched wehile he took the back off and replaced a fuse that cost less than a dollar. I learned

From there I took my computer to a shop and watched while they threw it around - upside down and flat. I lost my fear of moving it around.

I watched as they took off the back and he was nice enough to show my how to install a modem.

From there I started picking up Smart Computing Magazine along with a few other in their series PC Today, Guide, Learning, and Reference Series that give tons of info in real-world-speak and many had pictures

Now I do everything. Install, repair and upgrade. And I save lots of $$$$$ doing it all. And I like doing it

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

The laptop my mom bought me last summer is known for running hot; we were warned of that before purchase. I figured no problem--I'll set it on a cooling rack. I use a separate keyboard for it, anyway, so it doesn't matter if it's raised.

It works great at home that way, but definitely heats up rather quickly in other settings when I don't have the cooling rack. The casing gets worrisomely warm!

• greendawn
    greendawn

Black Swan I now think that in fact the Intel monitor comes and works with Intel motherboards. Check it out on google "intel active monitor". There may be other similar monitors for other motherboards. Apparently it is not a part of the windows XP package.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

J-ex-W

I have that problem with my laptop. I think it is pretty common.

Last week when I was forced to get it out of hibernation I stuck a ruler under the back near the top to raise it just a little. It helped.

I did have a cooling stand that worked great but I gave that to my son-in-law for his laptop that they use all the time (plus my daughter got her cooling rack back)

• greendawn
    greendawn

"I started this all with a microwave that had blown a fuse. For a $75 service call I sat and watched wehile he took the back off and replaced a fuse that cost less than a dollar. I learned" That was a lot of money to pay for replacing a fuse, that's around £30, some people really know how to charge even counting for time on the road. I had a similar experience when I paid someone to install a satellite system he charged me £60 for labour for 30 minutes of work. I later figured out that with a cousin's help I could have easily done it and saved the £60.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit