When we quote from the bible to prove a point do we have any right?

by Qcmbr 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RAF
    RAF

Id like somehow, someone would open a specific range of topics related to differents views on scriptures.

so that anyone trying to give at least 1 to 3 interpretations of each in staying in the context (of the verse and it's meaning)

• literal : the primal interpretation
    • How it's interpretated by the JW's or different religion : knowledge on the matter
    • How it could be intrepreted conceptaly or if prefered spiritually : any view point

The verses studyed would be some who are debated in other topics (for instance - lunched on after this other) otherwise we would have to think about wich verses to talk about.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    The WTS treats Scripture as some mystic document containing types and parallels that apparently point forward to their own history, such as in the 1930s. What a travesty!

Well said Doug. That is the #1 reason why I left.

There are many ways to study the bible. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will start my own soon on how multiple interpretations create real problems to claims of divinity and truth for Christians. I know I am not going to sway believers, but I look forward to the arguements....

I do believe that textual criticism and analysis are essential if you are going to be honest about your faith. To be sure, the bible does contain theology and points of view beyond the idea that Christ died for our sins. For example, 1 Corinthians is a letter Paul wrote to a congregation that was a mess. They had divisions, fornication, disorderly meetings, (women were speaking up, not a good idea in a Pauline congregation) and some were saying the ressurection had already occurred. Thus, there is a lot of theology in there, ready to be interpreted according to you own theological slant. (for that matter, 1 Cor 5 has the much debated passage in vs 9-11 that JW use for disfellowshipping. JW are the most notorious, but there are local churches I know that apply it similarly) How did that apply then, and most importantly, how does it apply today?

Doug, I am sure you are aware that other believers would tell you that how you think the bible should be intepreted is limiting at best. These internal arguements on p.o.v. that can't be proven today make belief and esp faith more and more troublesome. To use such an ancient book to prove points in the modern world is dangerous imo. I respect though your right to believe as you do. Thanks for your input.

• jatreloar
    jatreloar

[quote=Matthew 7:13 - 14]
    13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that lead eth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.[/quote]

I always took this to be a prophetic endorsement of cricket.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit