DON'T MISQUOTE UN-DPI WEBPAGE!

by MadApostate 12 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Below is the first heading from the UN-DPI-NGO webpage.

I have noticed that folks here have MISQUOTED this section several times.

Please read this carefully!

What is an NGO?

A non-governmental organization (NGO) is any non-profit, voluntary citizens' group which is organized on a local, national or international level. Task-oriented and driven by people with a common interest, NGOs perform a variety of services and humanitarian functions, bring citizens' concerns to Governments, monitor policies and encourage political participation at the community level. They provide analysis and expertise, serve as early warning mechanisms and help monitor and implement international agreements. Some are organized around specific issues, such as human rights, the environment or health. Their relationship with offices and agencies of the United Nations System differs depending on their goals, their venue and their mandate.

Over 1,500 NGOs with strong information programmes on issues of concern to the United Nations are associated with the Department of Public Information (DPI), giving the United Nations valuable links to people around the world. DPI helps those NGOs gain access to and disseminate information about the range of issues in which the United Nations is involved, to enable the public to understand better the aims and objectives of the world Organization.

Please note that this section of the webpage defines "NGOs". All NGOs ARE NOT "associated" with the UN.

Further, it is erroneous to attribute the activities and goals of SOME NGOs to ALL NGOs, or even to attribute activities and goals of SOME UN-associated NGOs to ALL UN-associated NGOs.

I have specifically seen this section erroneously attributed to the WTS:

...NGOs perform a variety of services and humanitarian functions, bring citizens' concerns to Governments, monitor policies and encourage political participation at the community level.

That statement is part of the NGO definition, and only relates SOME activities of SOME NGOs. That statement is not relating requirements of the UN-DPI for "associated NGOs", thus has nothing to do with the WTS.

Folks, we have a "winner" here. Don't screw it up! Errors in facts and terminology simply give JWs ammunition to discredit the issue.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

MA is absolutely right and I think I made a mistake like this in another thread about political participation.

Keep up the good "optics" work MA.

hawk

p.s - hawk doesn't think MA is a troll for what it is worth and doesn't care is MA is a JW or exJW and is really acting real professional lately for what it is worth

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

Good points, MA.

A non-governmental organization may (or may not, for that matter) be associated with the UN in different ways. In the case of the WTS, they are associated with the UN Department of Public Information (UN-DPI), under the catagory of "human rights".

This is an official association that the WTS applied for, 10 years ago.

This is not a mandatory relationship. The WTS made a choice to associate with the UN.

In my opinion, the following two sections from the NGO/UN-DPI faq provide the most incriminating information, as it lays out the requirements and responsibilities of *all* NGOs associated with UN-DPI (ie, the WTS):

"What are the Criteria for NGOs to become associated with DPI?"

Organizations eligible for association with DPI are those which:

- Share the ideals of the UN Charter;

- Operate solely on a not-for-profit basis;

- Have a demonstrated interest in United Nations issues and proven ability to reach large or specialized audiences, such as educators, media representatives, policy makers and the business community;

- Have the commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes about UN activities by publishing newsletters, bulletins, and pamphlets; organizing conferences, seminars and round tables; and enlisting the cooperation of the media.

"What are the responsibilities of NGOs associated with DPI?"

Since the founding days of the United Nations in San Francisco, NGOs have made valuable contributions to the international community by drawing attention to issues, suggesting ideas and programmes, disseminating information and mobilizing public opinion in support of the UN and its Specialized Agencies. Association with DPI constitutes a commitment to that effect. Associated NGOs are expected to devote a portion of their information programmes to promoting knowledge of the United Nations' principles and activities. In addition, they are expected to keep the DPI/NGO Section abreast of their activities by regularly providing samples of their information materials relating to the work of the UN. These are also made available for perusal at the DPI/NGO Resource Centre.

TS,

• Kent
    Kent
    I have specifically seen this section erroneously attributed to the WTS:

...NGOs perform a variety of services and humanitarian functions, bring citizens' concerns to Governments, monitor policies and encourage political participation at the community level.

That statement is part of the NGO definition, and only relates SOME activities of SOME NGOs.

How true! The Watchtower don't NGOs perform a variety of services and humanitarian functions if they themself doesn't have some money coming in from their work!

It's interesting to know, since they are a "humanitarian" and some stupid god knows what all the time.

Isn't it rather strange? In the US some people could use some help, I believe there is a small town New York somewhere, and there was some kind of bad accident there. But the Witchpower don't help out. Instead they're helping out in a chemical plant in France, and I believe the same Witchpower needs some good deeds there - to save their own money!

And what about their African aid? A place where a JW is running for president, I guess it would come handy to be a part of a "nice" organization, and "nice" organizations are used to get it their way in Africa.

So, Mad, I agree.

Yakki Da

Kent

I need more BOE letters, KMs and other material. Those who can send it to me - please do! The new section will be interesting!!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Hawkaw:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I believe that when I first started posting here I posted some of my background. I'm sure that Alan, Farkel, MSIL, Tina, and other have that post copied, but allow me to repeat such.

I have not officially been DFed, nor have I DAed. However, all but a couple of my JW family, and the whole Cong treat me as DFed. I have not been to ANY JW function in several years, and have not been out in FS for many years. Without going into specifics, the WTS has destroyed my life, which had well-above-average potential.

Obviously, I have a vendetta. However, I REFUSE to purposefully stoop to the level of fighting the WTS using half-truths or outright lies. As I have demonstrated here, if I see something that I think is incorrect, I will try to correct such regardless of whether the correction is pro or con the WTS. It is my sincere belief that short term gains via erroneous info later leads to longterm loses.

I'll step down off the stump.

• Kent
    Kent

Hi Mad;

Obviously, I have a vendetta. However, I REFUSE to purposefully stoop to the level of fighting the WTS using half-truths or outright lies. As I have demonstrated here, if I see something that I think is incorrect, I will try to correct such regardless of whether the correction is pro or con the WTS. It is my sincere belief that short term gains via erroneous info later leads to longterm loses.

Which is good. Posting lies and half truths is about the worst we could do, and there is nothing better for the Watchtower than being able to prove information false.

If they could prove lots of false claims and statements on the Watchtower Observer, they would be able to make it "less dangerous" by claiming it's all lies, quoting the false statements.

So, I'm with you there. On the other hand, you have some statements every now and then that makes me wonder. Especcially against someone who maybe posts something he/she thinks is interesting, trying to post news and questions. And is condemned an idiot by you because of having another view than you have.

I do agree I can be rather caustic myself, and I don't take offence of that. But you send out different messages which are hard to blend together...

Yakki Da

Kent

I need more BOE letters, KMs and other material. Those who can send it to me - please do! The new section will be interesting!!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• Winston
    Winston

MA,

I think you are very correct:

if I see something that I think is incorrect, I will try to correct such regardless of whether the correction is pro or con the WTS. It is my sincere belief that short term gains via erroneous info later leads to longterm loses

It's good when others speak up when something is not correct, we don't want to be bogged down with a bad case of GROUP THINK.

I feel there alot more we can accomplish this way.
    We don't need a bunch of YES-MEN to rubber stamp everything.

• Double Dee
    Double Dee

MA,

Thank you for your reminders.... but regardless of all the ways the NGO's relate to the UN, it is enough for me to just see the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society listed in full view on the same list with all the other religions that, in their view, make up the the "Harlot".

To me, it is just another example of how they say to not be part of the world, but don't mind using it to their own ends. They really can't go wrong if you think about it! They have so many code words like "theocratic warfare" and "caesars things to caesar" blah blah blah to just explain away their wickedness.

My guess would be that they will announce that:

"Many have taken issue with the fact that the WTBS is listed with the NGO's of the UN. Fortunately, we do not run ahead of Jehovah's direction to the Governing Body and realize that His spirit directed organization is following the lead of that spirit. Many times God's people have had to deceive others in the course of accomplishing Jehovah's purpose. For example, Jacob had to deceive his father so that he would gain the birthright from his brother Esau........."
    GAG GAG, PUKE PUKE, YUCK YUCK..........

And those poor pitiful people will believe it! (sigh)

Dee

• Double Dee
    Double Dee

MA,

Thank you for your reminders.... but regardless of all the ways the NGO's relate to the UN, it is enough for me to just see the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society listed in full view on the same list with all the other religions that, in their view, make up the the "Harlot".

To me, it is just another example of how they say to not be part of the world, but don't mind using it to their own ends. They really can't go wrong if you think about it! They have so many code words like "theocratic warfare" and "caesars things to caesar" blah blah blah to just explain away their wickedness.

My guess would be that they will announce that:

"Many have taken issue with the fact that the WTBS is listed with the NGO's of the UN. Fortunately, we do not run ahead of Jehovah's direction to the Governing Body and realize that His spirit directed organization is following the lead of that spirit. Many times God's people have had to deceive others in the course of accomplishing Jehovah's purpose. For example, Jacob had to deceive his father so that he would gain the birthright from his brother Esau........."
    GAG GAG, PUKE PUKE, YUCK YUCK..........

And those poor pitiful people will believe it! (sigh)

Dee

• Double Dee
    Double Dee

OOPS! Don't know how I posted the message twice! Sorry guys!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit