Anyone in here(parents) homeschool the kids? What curriculms do you use?

by Jeepthing 34 Replies latest jw friends

• hemp lover
    hemp lover
    Hi, Hemp lover, so did you give up on joining groups and just tried the lessons?

Yes. Dance, gymnastics, acting, art, guitar, piano, whatever she was interested in at the moment. Some things stick, some things don't, but that's how you find out what you really love. That's kind of scary about the YMCA group. The PE lessons we looked into were through the city we lived in at the time. They had all sorts of sports classes for all ages. I think we found a brochure at the local library that listed all the options. Or maybe it was the Chamber of Commerce - though now I'm sure municipal lessons like that can be found online.

• becca1
    becca1

looking_glass and Jeppthing: Thanks for you're kindness and balanced views.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

In addition to ebay, I have bought used curriculum by searching for used curriculum on the Internet, such as here:

http://www.wtmboards.com/saleswap/

I also have found some interesting free resources on-line. Search under "Free Stuff"

I am a big believer in reading together--the great classics--I have several books that list really noteworthy books "Honey For A Child's Heart", "Books Children Love" We used the library frequently and have shelves and shelves of books in almost every room.

There is a philosophy that believes in delayed formal academics until sense are mature (around age 8). Dr. Raymond Moore is an author worth reading in this regard. That means lots and lots of reading together and activities together without the pressure of pushing math and writing, etc. if they aren't ready. Again, check the Internet for some articles about this approach, if you would like.

Sorry that you have had unpleasant experiences with the Christian hsers in your area. I have met many that are not as fanatical. I have been involved in 3 different groups but now we go solo. The A Beka curriculum is an advanced curriculum (about a year ahead of Canadian public schools, so likely even more ahead of US schools, lol) but very patriotic American in tone at times.

But those hs conference curriculum halls are a great way to pick up some really fun and interesting stuff.

All the best,

TS

• mouthy
    mouthy

Whoa - I must have been stoned and missed that line!
    I have been reading this debate ,& I want to add my 2 cents ( as you knew I would) I think the above quote was sarcastic....I too thought you were a dope smoker. We are free to do what we want to in our freedom. But then when a person surmises that is what you are> dont ridicule them
    Mouthy

• choosing life
    choosing life

Hemp Lover,

That Calvert science book would have been used in the late 80's. It was published much earlier, though. I don't remember the publishing date.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit