The Ten Commandments

by darth frosty 6 Replies latest jw friends

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Just had a thought, was I the only one who thought the story of the ten commandments was a crock. Moses is up in the mountain and God with his own finger write's them on stone tablets and gives them to moses. God than tells moses, go down them people are acting up. But, not only did God tell him they were acting up, he also stated the they had made a calf. So moses goes down and gets his lookout joshua and they go back to the people. Moses see's the calf and the party thats going on and 'moses' anger begin to blaze, and he at once threw the tablets from his hands and shattered them at the foot of the mountain' Ex.32:19.

Why was moses angry? God had told him what was going on, Moses was the one in the mountain trying to calm god down Ex. 32:11. The account describes these tablets as 'the workmanship of God.' Ex. 32:16 Doesn't getting angry and shattering the work of God's own hand seem to be a rather stupid thing to do when faced with a situation that god had told you what was going on.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

The bible is nothing more than Green Eggs and Ham. A fairy tale.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Read Genesis and you realize that most of the important laws were already practiced by the hebrews.

Levirate marriage, menstrual uncleanness, loathing of homosexuals, double portion for the first born (an Egyptian rule), honor the Sabbath (an Egyptian invention) no adultery (all societies invented this one), sacrifice a ram instead of a first born son (Babylonian), honor your father and mother (not exclusive to the jews.) No way was all this given to Moses thousands of years later.

Strange to say, the WTBCS has no explanation for this one - if a house had dry rot, the priest was to take two birds; one was to be killed over running water and the blood caught in an earthenware bowl. The other bird was to be dipped in the blood, and then released. What did this picture in the antitype seen in Crooklyn at the start of the 21st century?

HB

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

The Bible is a book of metaphors

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Moses always had an anger problem and sometimes did not show proper respect for God. That is why he was not allowed to enter the promised land. Lilly

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The bible is just one inconsisitency after another. You can bet a dollar that whoever believes it never read it. That or is uncapable of critical thinking.

For some people when they read the bible they fall under the godspell and become zombies.

• Norm
    Norm

The Ten Commandments

I have some shocking news for all of you believers out there. WE have been fooled all our lives. So much for honesty and Christian “values.” Every time you have seen and read the Decalogue, which is the posh name for the 10 Commandments you have been unaware that they are a fake.

Now let me elaborate. Let us use the most holy of Bibles the New World Translation.
    We will read Exodus 19: 20 and 20: 2-17 which say:

*** Rbi8 Exodus 19:20-25 ***
    20 So Jehovah came down upon Mount Si´nai to the top of the mountain. Then Jehovah called Moses to the top of the mountain, and Moses went on up. 21 Jehovah now said to Moses: “Go down, warn the people, that they do not try to break through to Jehovah to take a look and many of them have to fall. 22 And let the priests also who regularly come near to Jehovah sanctify themselves, that Jehovah may not break out upon them.” 23 At this Moses said to Jehovah: “The people are not able to come up to Mount Si´nai, because you yourself already warned us, saying, ‘Set bounds for the mountain and make it sacred.’” 24 However, Jehovah said to him: “Go, descend, and you must come up, you and Aaron with you; but let not the priests and the people break through to come up to Jehovah, that he may not break out upon them.” 25 Accordingly Moses descended to the people and told them.

The 10 Commandments a message received orally.
    Notice the very significant detail that this time Moses was merely receiving an oral message from Jehovah. Nowhere in the text is it stated that this message constituted the 10 Commandments.

*** Rbi8 Exodus 20:1-17 ***
    20 And God proceeded to speak all these words, saying:
    2 “I am Jehovah your God, who have brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slaves. 3 You must not have any other gods against my face.
    4 “You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or that is on the earth underneath or that is in the waters under the earth. 5 You must not bow down to them nor be induced to serve them, because I Jehovah your God am a God exacting exclusive devotion, bringing punishment for the error of fathers upon sons, upon the third generation and upon the fourth generation, in the case of those who hate me; 6 but exercising loving-kindness toward the thousandth generation in the case of those who love me and keep my commandments.
    7 “You must not take up the name of Jehovah your God in a worthless way, for Jehovah will not leave the one unpunished who takes up his name in a worthless way.
    8 “Remembering the sabbath day to hold it sacred, 9 you are to render service and you must do all your work six days. 10 But the seventh day is a sabbath to Jehovah your God. You must not do any work, you nor your son nor your daughter, your slave man nor your slave girl nor your domestic animal nor your alien resident who is inside your gates. 11 For in six days Jehovah made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and he proceeded to rest on the seventh day. That is why Jehovah blessed the sabbath day and proceeded to make it sacred.
    12 “Honor your father and your mother in order that your days may prove long upon the ground that Jehovah your God is giving you.
    13 “You must not murder.
    14 “You must not commit adultery.
    15 “You must not steal.
    16 “You must not testify falsely as a witness against your fellowman.
    17 “You must not desire your fellowman’s house. You must not desire your fellowman’s wife, nor his slave man nor his slave girl nor his bull nor his ass nor anything that belongs to your fellowman.”

We have always been told that Moses received the 10 Commandments from God on stone tablets on top of the mountain.

So what are the REAL 10 Commandments, what was written on the stone tablets Moses did receive? We will find out:

Moses seemed to have been on top of that mountain at least 3 times and here is what happened, probably the second time:

*** Rbi8 Exodus 31:18 ***
    18 Now as soon as he had finished speaking with him on Mount Si´nai he proceeded to give Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone written on by God’s finger.

But when Moses came down he screwed up and destroyed the tablets:

*** Rbi8 Exodus 32:19 ***
    19 So it came about that as soon as he got near the camp and could see the calf and the dances, Moses’ anger began to blaze, and he at once threw the tablets from his hands and shattered them at the foot of the mountain.

So Moses had to climb all the way back up again to get the two stone tablets again. This is apparently what was written upon those stone tablets

*** Rbi8 Exodus 34:14-28 ***
    14 For you must not prostrate yourself to another god, because Jehovah, whose name is Jealous, he is a jealous God; 15 for fear that you may conclude a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, as they will certainly have immoral intercourse with their gods and sacrifice to their gods, and someone will be certain to invite you, and you will certainly eat some of his sacrifice. 16 Then you will have to take some of their daughters for your sons, and their daughters will be certain to have immoral intercourse with their gods and make your sons have immoral intercourse with their gods.
    17 “You must not make molten idol gods for yourself.
    18 “The festival of unfermented cakes you are to keep. You will eat unfermented cakes, just as I have commanded you, seven days at the appointed time in the month of A´bib, because it was in the month of A´bib that you came out of Egypt.
    19 “Everything that first opens the womb is mine, and, as regards all your livestock, the male firstling of bull and of sheep. 20 And the firstling of an ass you are to redeem with a sheep. But if you will not redeem it, then you must break its neck. Every firstborn of your sons you are to redeem. And they must not appear before me empty-handed.
    21 “Six days you are to labor, but on the seventh day you will keep sabbath. In plowing time and in harvest you will keep sabbath.
    22 “And you will carry on your festival of weeks with the first ripe fruits of the wheat harvest, and the festival of ingathering at the turn of the year.
    23 “Three times in the year every male of yours is to appear before the [true] Lord, Jehovah, the God of Israel. 24 For I shall drive the nations away from before you, and I will make your territory spacious; and nobody will desire your land while you are going up to see the face of Jehovah your God three times in the year.
    25 “You must not slaughter along with what is leavened the blood of my sacrifice. And the sacrifice of the festival of the passover should not stay overnight until the morning.
    26 “The best of the first ripe fruits of your soil you are to bring to the house of Jehovah your God.
    “You must not boil a kid in its mother’s milk.”
    27 And Jehovah went on to say to Moses: “Write down for yourself these words, because it is in accordance with these words that I do conclude a covenant with you and Israel.” 28 And he continued there with Jehovah forty days and forty nights. He ate no bread and he drank no water. And he proceeded to write upon the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Words.

So folks, in the text above you see the real 10 Commandments, not the fake stuff that you have been fobbed off with all these years. Notice that the New World translation tries to throw you off by writing “Ten Words” in verse 28, instead of Ten Commandments as King James does. That is of course if you care about what is written in the Bible. Anyway, here is the REAL thing again, this time from good old King James:

1. For thou shalt worship no other god
    2. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
    3. The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep.
    4. Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest.
    5. And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.
    6. Thrice in the year shall all your men children appear before the Lord GOD.
    7. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven;
    8. Neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.
    9. The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God.
    10. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

As pointed out above the Bible do not in anyway indicate that the oral message Moses received on the mountain was the Ten Commandments but King James makes it abundantly clear that what is written in Exodus 34: 12- 26 is. Just read Exodus 34: 27-28 in King James:

27: And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel. 28: And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

So there it is folks, now you know the truth about the Ten Commandments. Me, I was just as dumb and gullible as all of you, this was brought to my attention by the little book, “50 things you are not supposed to know” by Russ Kick, which deserves the honor.

Norm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit