Need Help on "Generation" Research

by Bluegrass Tom 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bluegrass Tom
    Bluegrass Tom

I made the mistake of having a discussion about the "Generation" understanding. I stated that the 1994 WA was the latest change in that doctrine, abandoning the concept of 1914+70/80 year span of a generation=1994 Max. I was told by a practicing dub (a real Kool-Aid drinker) that there is a "new light" on this matter after the 1994 WA. This modified understanding is that we are living in "the time of the end" and the "generation" now means all the people on earth that are alive at this "time of the end". Has anybody else heard of this understanding? Does anybody know what WA articles say this? I am getting ready to continue this discussion, mistake or not.

• Clam
    Clam

Tom - this might help. Some good 'chopping and changing' here.

"Even if we presume that youngsters 15 years of age would be perceptive enough to realize the import of what happened in 1914, it would still make the youngest of ‘this generation’ nearly 70 years old today. So the great majority of the generation to which Jesus was referring has already passed away in death. The remaining ones are approaching old age. And remember, Jesus said that the end of this wicked world would come before the generation passed away in death. This of itself, tells us that the years left before the foretold end comes cannot be many." - Awake10/8/68 p13-14

"If you assume that 10 is the age at which an event creates a lasting impression on a person's memory, then there are today more than 13 million Americans who have a recollection of World War I. And if the wicked system of this world survived until the turn of the century,which is highly improbable in view of world trends and the fulfillment of Bible prophecy, there will still be survivors of the World War I generation. However, the fact that their number is dwindling is one more indication that ‘the conclusion of the system of things’ is moving fast towards its end." - WTower 10/15/80 p31

"If Jesus used ‘generation’ in the sense and we apply it to 1914, then the babies of that generation are now 70 years old or older. And others alive in 1914 are in their 80's or 90's., a few having reached a hundred. There are still many millions of that generation alive. Some of them ‘will by no means pass away until all things occur.’ - Luke 21:32." - WTower 5/15/84

"Therefore, in the final fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy today, ‘this generation’ apparently refers to the peoples of the earth who see the sign of Christ's presence but fail to mend their ways." - WTower 11/1/95 pg19

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Bluegrass Tom, All I know is , it was in 1996 when they changed the 1914 doctrine. You might try finding a 1996 Watchtower [the 1st and 15th watchtower might have something.] Good Luck.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Bluegrass,

Originally it was those who were at "the age of awareness" in 1914, meaning those who were about 14 years old. Then it was changed to "those BORN in 1914", finally, the Generation change in 1995 to, roughly translated "we really don't know, but we are sticking to: We are DEEP into the last days and we really have not changed our minds about Armeggedon, even though we really have changed our minds, according to what you just read in the Watchtower".

I know, I know. Now you are really confused, but I think that was the whole point. "Confuse the flock, before they wake up".

Warlock

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

There has been ongoing changes to the generation teaching in order to make the current decade appear to be the one in which the end will come. Quotes for this are at http://jwfacts.com/index_files/generation.htm I have inserted the page for you. However, I am unsure of any changes since 1995, when it was stated that the generation can continue for an unspecified period of time.

The Watchtower is pushing strongly that the end is still about to come any moment now, but no longer is able to use the generation teach to put a definite end date to it.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Tom,

Others here can probably give a more complete answers, but I'll throw in my 2cents, since I remember when this all went down, and it was a major factor in my exit:

I was told by a practicing dub (a real Kool-Aid drinker) that there is a "new light" on this matter after the 1994 WA. This modified understanding is that we are living in "the time of the end" and the "generation" now means all the people on earth that are alive at this "time of the end".

new light: yes, a major adjustment in their teaching on "this generation" was made, although I believe this all originated in a 1995 Watchtower not 1994; with some followup discussion in later years, I know definitely there was a major followup in 1997.

we are living in "the time of the end" this is not a change, they have taught this for decades.

The "generation" now means all the people on earth that are alive at this "time of the end". Basically yes, this is their "new light". Previously they taught that this generation referred to those people who witnessed the beginning of Christ's invisible presence in 1914, and would still be alive on earth when Armageddon came, for reals. What they did was disconnect "this generation" from the 1914, so that now its basically the generation that is present when Armageddon starts. Which basically makes it a useless statement: The generation that will see the end will be here to see the end. Well duh.

Despite the fact that this removes 1914 as an anchor point to try and determine just when the end will be here, the Watchtower insists that Armageddon is still very close, closer than ever! ever!!!! It's very very very close, really. Did we mention that the end is really really close???

In reality, I think a lot of witnesses, after hearing this new understanding, eventually realized what it boiled down to for them: the Watchtower is basically telling them- after years of proclaiming Millions Now Living Will Never Die, and You Can Live Forever in Paradise- that they can no longer assume the Big A will hit in their lifetime.

Hence, a general decline in most JW's activities since 1995, and more time being selfishly spent in recreation and trying to figure out how to manage without a retirement plan. And maybe getting an education.

No Apologies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit