Elders Meeting funny moments

by bj 15 Replies latest jw friends

• roybatty
    roybatty

DIM,

I’ll give you some more details. The CO read some of their lyrics (several of which did have the “f” word), several articles from Pearl Jams web site (where the “f” word was used quite a bit) and then he proceeded to tell the elder body that on Yield CD there is a song called “Do the Evolution” so he believed that Pearl Jam promoted this false teaching. As anyone who’s familiar with this song knows it’s a sarcastic look at how “evolved” man claims to be yet we still kill each over by the millions. Anyway, maybe I shouldn’t have done this but that Saturday I pulled into the KH for field service with the windows rolled down and Pearl Jam coming from my car speakers. I still say that the Yield CD is pretty good. LOL.

• DIM
    DIM

amazing - I remember when TEN first came out, all of the JW kids had the cd, then someone started the rumour that they had admitted to satan worship. Then Pearl Jam was considered bad and my mom threw out my copy of the cd. So i had to go out and buy it again.....

• roybatty
    roybatty

Getting off the subject a little bit but it seemed that music was one thing that always stirred a things up. When I was pioneering in the late ‘80s I was almost removed because I bought the U2 Joshua Tree CD and later saw them in concert. Some sister also bought the CD but decided to get rid of it because of the line “I held the hand of the devil” in the song “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.” Anyway, before she threw it out she went to the PO and told him that I about the CD, that I owned a copy and that *gasp I saw them in concert. So we did the little back room talk, I kept my CD and soon afterward (to my surprise) became a MS! LOL. Anyway, it always bugged me when people in the congregation tried to dictate their personal taste or even worse, made up rules regarding such.
    BTW, I like VS the best and No Code the least.

• sweetone2377
    sweetone2377

Funny, someone said that Pearl Jam doesn't use the fuc* word very often, have you heard their song "Leash" (I was a huge PJ fan in high school and still enjoy them)? Next time I hear it I'm going to count how many times they use fuc* in it...quite a bit I think.

About U2 and the Joshua Tree, the same elder who counseled all us younger ones that it was bad because it contained religious undertones had the very same CD and would listen to it very often (anytime I saw him out anywhere, which in a small town, I saw him often). LOL....talk about double standards.

• Makena1
    Makena1

One of our CO's was a big Detroit Pistons fan, and asked an MS to be sure and tape the game for him, because it was on during our servants meeting.

That was many moons ago, and I moved out of the area (Los Angeles)soon after. I could be wrong but this same CO (perhaps a DO years later) was removed because he was caught or finally admitted that he had been consorting with prostitutes. Apparently he paid for this from gifts given to him by wealthier brothers. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

When I asked the elder who told me this story how Jehovah could let something like this go on for so long, he said, "Sometimes Jehovah continues to use people, until they are used up...or something like that." Apparently he had a reputation as a fabulous public speaker and theocratic organization. Strange if true.

Makena

• rhett
    rhett

Wow, I have no idea how many times I had the song "Leash" going through my head during my many elder's meetings when I was a JW. I've always been a HUGE PJ and U2 fan. I met my wife at a U2 concert, asked her to marry me after a PJ concert, and our son's middle name is Stone (one of PJ's guitarists is Stone Gossard).

>>Funny, someone said that Pearl Jam doesn't use the fuc* word very often, have you heard their song "Leash" (I was a huge PJ fan in high school and still enjoy them)? Next time I hear it I'm going to count how many times they use fuc* in it...quite a bit I think.<<

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit