Aqua Teen Terror Force

by rolling rock 11 Replies latest jw friends

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

So... Was it all just one clever marketing scam???

I'm about to believe that this was the reaction the cartoon network was looking for...

If it was Cartoon network is lucky nobody got killed while beantown was on lockdown...

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I think Boston totally over-reacted and I cannot believe that they actually arrested these two young men who were following orders from the marketing company. They should arrest the higher ups, not these two guys who made about $10 an hour to do this work. I was so ticked off today, and I feel embarressed that I live south of Boston. It should have been obvious to the Boston Police that these contraptions were lighted cartoon characters only, and nothing dangerous. I mean, they were placed in 9 other cities and nobody got arrested there.

They locked down the whole city and now have made two arrests because they have egg on their faces and look like complete morons. Which by the way, most Boston cops are. Lilly

• Mystla
    Mystla

People are sooo paranoid! I can't believe how badly this was over-reacted to. If those guys get a lawyer worth his salt they will endup getting compensated for false arrest and unlawful imprisonment or something. Thats gotta be worth a couple hundred grand apiece.

Misty

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think the fault partly lies with the Cartoon Network or the firm they hired for not obtaining permits to place these electronic signs up. I don't know what signage laws there are, but I suspect that they may be liable for putting up illegal billboard signage. These are also a novel type of sign that may not easily be recognized as such, especially during the daytime when the lights are turned off, making it difficult for someone to know what it is without looking up close (thus I don't quite buy the argument that it was obvious that these were benign devices, if it wasn't clear what they were). The police did have a responsibility to investigate and remove them if they judged them a threat, but practically shutting down the city over this sure looks like an overreaction to me. Arresting those two boys also looks like a mistake...I don't know what the charges are, but they should not have the word "hoax" unless the city feels they can prove this intent...and I seriously doubt that was the case.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

You do not need a permit to display "public art" as long as it is not offensive. You would think by the time the 2nd or 3rd were taken down, the cops would of had a clue that this was not a dangerous device. And even after they knew it was a hoax or marketing campaign, they still continued to shut down the city "just in case". Gross overeaction I think. Yes they should investigate things like this, but come on, it obviously was not a bomb.

Also, several people standing by while one of these things was taken down, told the cops exactly what the character was. Lilly

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

btw: a Boston area college student has one of these devices that the Boston Police did not blow up and he is selling it on ebay right now. The bid is up to $5,200. Lilly

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I totally agree about the overreaction. You bring up an interesting point on whether this was public art....these ads may fall into a grey area between categories, as these "light brite" devices were "artistic" depictions of a cartoon character, but on the other hand they were offsite advertising signs... and some municipalities expressly forbid signs on bridges and thoroughfares, or signs that consist of strings of lights or blinking lights. Also, I thought some cities require permits for public art as well...

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

lovelylil
    Post 2049 of 2049
    United States, Massachusetts

"btw: a Boston area college student has one of these devices that the Boston Police did not blow up and he is selling it on ebay right now. The bid is up to $5,200. Lilly"

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

It was a completely idiotic stunt. Maybe there was some overreaction...but with the world the way it is, I'd much rather be safe than sorry. If it was just a harnless stunt, why didn't they notify authorities before they did it? I have absolutely no sympathy for the morons involved in this nonsense...all the way to the top decision makers. I think they should be locked up...so no one else gets a bright idea to copy their stunt. Boston is a nightmare to drive in on a good day. I know...I drive there all the time. Yesterday was beyond horrible.

Coffee

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

It was a completely idiotic stunt. Maybe there was some overreaction...but with the world the way it is, I'd much rather be safe than sorry. If it was just a harnless stunt, why didn't they notify authorities before they did it? I have absolutely no sympathy for the morons involved in this nonsense...all the way to the top decision makers. I think they should be locked up...so no one else gets a bright idea to copy their stunt. Boston is a nightmare to drive in on a good day. I know...I drive there all the time. Yesterday was beyond horrible.

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit