Did you ever go to Brooklyn to visit Bethel?

by JH 26 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

When I joined back in the mid 80's many in my congregation went to visit the bethel in Brooklyn.

For some reason, I had no interest for that.

In the last years that I attended meetings, they didn't organize anything like that anymore.

I wonder why that changed?

• Highlander
    Highlander

Never been there, never will. My j-dub wife wants to go. I told her she can go, but I'm not paying for it. It'll have to be on her dime.

• JH
    JH

I remember telling the JW's that I visited the United Nations building instead.....

It's true......a few years before joining the JW's I visited the UN with my parents.

I must be the only JW who had a greater interest in visiting the UN than the Watchtower.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I visited in 1985, waste of time and money.

W.Once

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    I must be the only JW who had a greater interest in visiting the UN than the Watchtower.

Except the watchtower visiting the UN for 10 years strait!

• Scully
    Scully

I went there once.

The tours used to be pretty informal back then. I have pics of myself doing the tour in jeans and a casual blouse. After that, they started requiring tour groups to dress as though they were attending the Kingdom Hall for a meeting.

That probably has a lot to do with why the interest lagged a bit.

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

Yes I did, it was back in 1983. I have managed to shake Carey Barber's hand before the Morning Worship when I was a teenager.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

a relative of mine went a few years ago.

she saved her money for years to go, got there and saw that theater that is so fancy and got sick to her stomach at how much she struggled for years to donate donate donate and with no education , working her butt off just to live in a used mobile home..it kind of sticks it in your face that your financing a religion just like jim bakers or jerry falwells.. no big difference at all.

• free2think
    free2think

I've been to new york twice, the first time was a really short visit so I decided to spend my time shopping instead, the second time I went was for over a week so I didn't really have an excuse not to go especially as I was staying with some dubs, so I did a few tours one afternoon. Felt really sorry for the tour guide guy, he was a typical dub. Tried to have a laugh with him, coz I felt so sorry for him. But I think he had a sense of humour failure that day. Poor guy. Felt really guilty afterwards like I should do all the tours or something. (typical jw guilt trip).

free2think

• blondie
    blondie

I lived in the area and acted as an unofficial tour guide and hotel for single JW women wanting to be seen, perhaps attracting a "spiritual" husband, happy hunting grounds. JW men usually signed up for temporary work to have somethng good on their "resume" when anointing, oops appointing, time came around. Families visited with young sons to "encourage" them to sign up for Bethel, another good thing to have on your "resume." Others like to meet friends who are at Bethel, that looks good on your resume especially if the Bethel husband is a "heavy" brother. It's a good hopping off point to see the city.

I found it more enlightening in ways that the WTS did not expect as to the "spirituality" of the organization.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit