Debaters: Let's have It Out !

by Amazing 124 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    The Bible does say the wheat (true Christians) and weeds(false Chrisitans) grow up together until Christ comes with his Angels to sort them out.

Glad you brought that up. I was going to talk about this as well, but just didn't get to it.

Don't worry about that 'invisible church' thing ;) The main reason I brought it up is because I myself used it for quite some time, but eventually started looking at it from a differant perspective. I realized that I was actually using the idea of an invisible church to actually write off every group out there as not worthy of consideration. (I'm not saying you do this) So I personally like to be balanced when talking about true Christians being scattered. The main purpose is to insure that no particuliar group takes for itself the role assigned to Christ, that of being the agent of our salvation. When any group does this (JWs and all the others) they violate scripture and the main message of what it is to be Christian.

Also, don't give me the credit for 'organism not organization', I picked that up from Barnhouse and I'm sure he got it from somebody before him. It's a great way to look at it though, isn't it?

• mouthy
    mouthy

LT No you did not kill the thread>>>
    The church is the "body of believers". It is comprised of those who have been saved and redeemed by the true living God based upon the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus upon the cross. Another term for body of believers is "body of Christ" . So all those "in Christ" make up the church. Inclusion into the body of Christ or the true Church is not by membership in ANY denomination. It is not recieved by any rituals or by ceremony, or by natural birth. It is recieved by faith (Romans 5:1, Ephesians 2:8). The invisible Church is the church made up of all true believers who have been born again by the spirit of God.AMEN!!!! to that LIl
    JeffT I agree wole heartly.....Good discussion

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Drew, Thank you.

And I am going to add that "quote" to my favorites list. Peace, Lilly

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Grace,

How are you? Thanks for your support on this thread. Lilly

• 5go
    5go
    My biggest question is why do you have to do goofy things to worship God?

My biggest question is why do you have to worship a Goofy God?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Grace,

How are you? Not bad..Will feel better when it warms up though LOL...You seem to think like I do .... Two minds one single thought...LOL(((HUG)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Terry:
    On the contrary, we've determined for ourselves that we are quite happy with our own opinions of such things. We have no intention of going back to turning atoms into molecules, but would rather discuss the ways in which we can construct things with rough hewn wood. Sometimes you've just gotta let it go, bro, and enjoy the discussion for what it is...

Jeremiah:
    But what do YOU think? This is a discussion, for debaters, not a "who can post the biggest article" contest.

5go:
    Is that genuinely your biggest question? Are you sure it has not been superceded by "what am I going to have for dinner?"

Grace:
    Maybe its the beast that was and was not but now is; and I'm not talking about Sir Tom

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I find it interesting that many non-catholics posting here feel free to post their interpretations of scripture here as though they understood the scripture better than the catholic church or in other words that they were privy to understanding denied the RC(and yes I include myself). Surely if the real contextual meaning of the scriptures thus quoted meant that the church was structureless then the Roman Catholic church could not have claimed any legitemacy, ever and would have been foolish to allow those damning scriptures to remain in the books they had such control over.

It is groundless to preach scriptural understanding without suggesting one is able to make such a claim. To make such a claim is to assume the authority denied (i.e. that God would give authority to speak and interpret His word on His behalf.) I think that the assumption of the Spirit of God dwelling in your heart thus qualifies one to be part of the notional church is merely a self proclaimed attempt to be a prophet (and thus interpret scripture)and then declaring that all other structures claiming authority (be it splinter group through RC) are thus in error is no more than an assumption of authority based upon circular reasoning. Now if God turned up and called you as His leader/prophet/rep you'd be onto something but I'm less impressed by claims of the spirit as enough. No offense intended.

The questions regarding the RC church and any splinter group or individual are IMO:

1/ Does God's authority exist or is the very idea of authority just a human creation?
    2/ If it exists does it ever pass to mankind - can anyone speak/act for God?
    3/ How?
    4/ How is it manifest - miracles/sacraments/judgment/prophecy/direction?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Grace:
    Maybe its the beast that was and was not but now is; and I'm not talking about Sir Tom

LT Your bad.... get behind me. Here I was spiritually engrossed in the topic. Then to turned my eye& heart onto my idle..... Go to your room..

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Sorry everyone... I just couldn't resist the opportunity!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit