Daughter of an ex witness and a re-instated witness.....

by LotusB 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• LotusB
    LotusB

My parents divorced when I was 12. Their divorce was so messy and upsetting that it threw my mother for a loop that none of the elders came to her aide. She has been distant and negetive towards JW's for almost ten years since. My father was re-instated after an almost 20 year apsence and is now happily attending meetings with his new family. SInce I was raised by my mom, I haven't been to a meeting in over ten years as well. But with the recent happenings of the world. Global warming, crime, natural disasters, wars breaking out, I've felt compelled to study the bible again. I know the end is near. Whether you are a JW, baptist, Lutherin, Methodist, or so on the belief of the end of days is a common one. And from the looks of things the end of days will be happening in our lifetime. My heart has shifted so much that I've desided to move out of the apartment I share with my boyfriend of two years, and possably start attending meetings. I've made the decision to abstain from sex and other things that have been very natural to me for over ten years now. Has anyone else been through a similar experiance??? Although my mind is fairly certian, I have a million questions and I feel so torn.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    My heart has shifted so much that I've desided to move out of the apartment I share with my boyfriend of two years

Did you leave him because the Watchtower says it's wrong, or did you leave him because you don't love him anymore?

If you left him for the Watchtower, you'll eventually regret doing so. Please stick around here and read some of the "Best Of" section. And please give your boyfriend a call, and possibly even a date. Don't give up on him until you've made your decision. He may be the most important person you have in your life, possibly more important than any Jehovah's Witness.

You may also want to visit http://www.freeminds.org since that's where most of my questions were answered.

Oh yeah, and feel free to ask all your questions here. There's a lot of people on this site, and some of them may have answers for you. If they don't have answers, they may be able to point you in the right direction to get them.

Also, if you still believe in "Armageddon coming before the 1914 Generation passes away", don't bother. They got rid of that belief in 1995.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

bump

• Lumptard
    Lumptard

Welcome LotusB

You've gotta do what you've gotta do, just don't let fear of the future cloud your rational judgement of whether or not to associate yourself and conform your life to the JWs. Make sure that whatever decision you make is based soundly on what you feel is right for you and not based on fear or superimposed guilt.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi LotusB, and welcome to the forum.

Personally, I was a jw for 25 years, and am very glad not to be one now. A little research of the religion would be sufficient for most people to realise that, if there is a true religion, it isn't the jws. I would advise you to obtain a copy of Crisis of Conscience, by and ex governing body member named Raymond Franz, before you make any decision to join the jws.

Please don't give up on your boyfriend, unless you really don't love him. Join the jws if you want to, but please do some research, independent of your study conductor, as they will only give you the watchtower version of things, before you commit yourself. Be aware that what you are being taught as "truth" now may not be considered truth in a few years, as the watchtower tend to change doctrine fairly regularly. If you want to check the truth of that, take a look at this website, which is made up of watchtower publications over the years, and shows clearly how thier beliefs have changed.

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/home.html

In particular, look at the doctrinal flip flops, and see how often they have changed doctrines that a religion that has the backing of god, which is what they claim for themselves, should really have got right the first time.

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

Welcome LotusB, It's good to have you join us.

I'm sorry to hear that you (and your mum and dad) have had difficult times. My husband and I were in the JWs for over thirty years and we really thought that only the witnesses had the truth, but when we found out about the Watchtower's secret involvement with the United Nations, we were horrified. We had put so much trust in the Organisation and suddenly we began to see them for what they really are. Please make sure that you check out everything before getting involved with them again. Do independant research and if possible share your concerns with your boyfriend.

We hope that you will come back and let us know how you're getting on.

Twinkletoes

• mia_b
    mia_b

Hmmm, at the end of the day you do have to do what your heart and mind both tell you to do. But I think that you should look at things from all angles before committing yourself because you will be warned to stop and only look at the W/T side of things when you get going.

If you do start studying/attending meetings and it makes you happy then that is ok but please be aware that all the initial support does not continue and you can end up very much on your own because everyone is so busy looking for their own salvation that they will ignore yours when they deem you fit to look after yourself.

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

Hi Lotus, I was raised a JW, but I find life so less complicating and rewarding when I try not to use numbers and passages in the Bible to determine my future. Human history tells us that every generation felt they were living in the time of the end. It's all there in our history books. You see it in the 1st century, the 1200's, the 1300's, 1400's, 1500,'s etc. Anytime there was conflict in one's life or the world, certain people from these generations felt the end was here. The world IS a crappy place and it always has been, even before Jesus. There's been wars, famines, diseases, earthquakes, etc. from the time of human existence (earthquakes occured frequently before humans were present on the earth as well). Blame it on Adam and Eve if you must, but my God doesn't need to allow 6000 years of human misery to prove a damn point. To that end, there is much beauty in the world and we humans have so much potential to create a peaceful world for ourselves. I think the end can be near for all of us, if we don't stand up to religious intolerance, but it won't be from the Armegeddon as we know it. My advice is to hold on to love if you found it and live your life to the fullest by living it on your own terms while helping to make the world a little better as you go along for those around us. Best, NYCkid

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Hey Lotus,

I'm also new to this site so welcome!!! It may be that you were so young when your mom stopped going to the KH, that you don't remember or didn't have the chance to see for yourself the negative parts of this organization.

Please go slowly and don't make changes in your life based on the WT. Go with your heart and PLEASE don't cut your mom, boyfriend, or close friends out of your life. You WILL need them one day when the JW's kick you to the curb. Hang in there!!!

ex-nj-jw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit