My roommate went to the one day assembly yesterday

by oppgirl63 11 Replies latest jw friends

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

1,940 people attended

10 baptized - 6 female, 4 male --- youngest 10 yrs old, oldest 66 yrs old

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

Do you know if there were more children than adults? I wonder if the 66 year old was already married to an active JW. I know one in our hall that has, mainly to keep peace with the spouse.

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

I tried to ask their ages without her being too suspicious and she just said some of both. I overheard her talking to someone on the phone last night and that's when she said that the youngest was 10 and the oldest was 66. She didn't stay for the baptisms...I went by and picked her up and we went out for lunch and then I took her back for the afternoon session. The place where they met is about an hour away from home so I had to kill time all day while she attended. I went to walmart and did some shopping. She did ask me if I wanted to go in with her for the afternoon session and I said no thanks.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings oppgirl63,

"Youngest 10 years old". It makes me wonder why the heck Jesus (The Exemplar) dragged his feet for so long and waited 'til he was 30. Perhaps he wanted to get past the bloomayouth?

10 years old. How cruel

Dismembered

• blondie
    blondie

I think of that too but then I remember that all Israelites were dedicated as belonging to God at birth. Baptism was not required under the Law code which what was binding on Jesus. I prefer to point out that they would not allow their child to marry, drive a car, vote, drink alcohol, or choose their own medical treatment at the age of 10.

Blondie

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Did they say that Matt. 24:14 has been fulfilled at this one too?

Kwin

• TheListener
    TheListener

You're a good roommate. I hope that fact isn't lost on your roomie.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Must be an American phenomenon among witnesses. It is extremely rare that someone younger than 14 gets baptized in Scandinavia.Most between 16-19

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

"10 years old. How cruel"

Here's how it goes; Child does all that is asked of him, parents are so proud at such a spiritual child. Congregation fawn over child and congratulate parents. Witnesses to kids and teachers and seen out on field service. Puts hand up at nearly every WT question. Polite, respectful and........sensitive. Sensitive to the needs of his parents. Wants them to be proud of him.

Reaching 14 now. Mum and Dad are fallible and can make mistakes. He is making less self centred observations of the big world.

One of two or three things happen. Fear of the outside world causes him to cling to the Society and remain insulated. Need to think clearly stops.

Or, he gets a nasty sense that something is wrong with his omniscient Watchtower. Puberty kicks in.
    Mental conflict, hormones and the need to question everything starts. (all normal stuff)

Judicial committee, difellowshipping, shunning. Fear of returning. Fear of NOT returning. Troubled conscience, isolation, loss of love providers, guilt, worthlessness, hopelessness, (suicide??)

With the baptizing of kids, i.e. LOCKING THEM INTO A PERMANENT CONTRACT WITH 'GOD', under, say, 20 you may as well baptize infants!

Unconditional love is required for your kids while they continue to learn from their dumb mistakes.

• C_of_Tranquility
    C_of_Tranquility

well said bigmouth!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit