How old are these talk outlines?

by LtCmd.Lore 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

We had a talk at our hall recently and the speaker was quoting facts that I know had to be over 10 years old at least! It was a talk on gods wonderfull creation.

He talked about things like the wonderfull organization of the universe. (He didn't even mention the fact that stars, solar systems, and entire galaxies regularly slam into each other, or implode in on themselves forming super distructive black holes.)

He said the the universe is infinitely large... but then went on to explain how many galaxies there are, which would be impossible if the universe really WERE infinate...

And the animal life. (Once again, he said about how a mother bird takes care of her eggs... but didn't mention how the tarantula sneaks in and eats the babies while the mother is away getting food. Or diseases, or cannibal monkeys.)

And he said that the life sustaining water, only exists on earth... WTH!?

It has been proven to exist on the moon, Mars, Mercury, Neptune, several other moons, gas clouds. And is believe to exist on pluto, along with a bunch of those other little planets on the edge of our solar system. Heck lots of comets are made of ICE, so if they hit a planet, Ta Da, that planet now has water on it.

He said that the worlds fastest supercomputer is less that one billionth the ability of a HOUSE FLY... I'm quite certain I heard that EXACT SAME statement years ago! Have computers not progressed at all since then?

Does anyone here happen to know how old some of these talk outlines really are?

(Or better yet, does anyone know of website that contains the outlines?)

LtCmd.Lore

• sspo
    sspo

Some of these talks are 25 years old.

When you have been around for decades you hear the same crap over and over again and the sad part is many of

of elders are not really public speakers and have no business in going to other congr.

Many are too lazy to upgrade their outline and refresh it with new information and that's why

you have some outline with very old statistic.

There are just a handful of good speakers in every circuit.

• 5go
    5go
    He said that the worlds fastest supercomputer is less that one billionth the ability of a HOUSE FLY... I'm quite certain I heard that EXACT SAME statement years ago! Have computers not progressed at all since then?

A certain person his name escapes me right now who is been right about all but few of his predictions on technological progress, recently revised one of his predictions he originaly said computers would equal the human brain in 2050. He rivised it to 2025 or 2015 I can't remember which 2025 sounds more like it.

• Highlander
    Highlander

If I only had a nickle for every time I heard the public talk that included Mt St Helen's eruption as a warning example...

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    He said that the worlds fastest supercomputer is less that one billionth the ability of a HOUSE FLY

Flying ability maybe? I'll accept that.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Oh well they are just trying desperately to make their belief in god seem logical. http://www.jetpress.org/volume1/moravec.htm

That is a very informative site, that shows just how much computers have progressed.

Although I wonder how they gauge intelligence, because a normal household calculator can out perform the average human mathematicaly no problem.

So I have to wonder: if a robot is invented that can outperform humans in every aspect, art, math, science, memory, and logic, that has the ability to run and jump and be more coordinated than any human... would people accept it's superiority? Or would they still say that it only seems intelligent, and it's not 'self aware' no matter how good it is?

Anyways, I hate it when the speaker gives out false science! Because everyone accepts what is said on the platform as gospel, no matter how old the information is, or blatantly wrong!

I said to my family that some of his figures where wrong, and nobody believed me, they acctualy said that god would make sure we didn't get false information!!! I could probably spend a couple of hours proving to them that he was wrong, but what good would it do? They would just brush it off as human error.

AUGHH! I'm am so not looking forward to explaining my atheism to my parents... Now I know how gay guys feel about coming out of the closet! I know that they are incapable of understanding.

LtCmd.Lore

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Try being a queer atheist and let me know how that goes for ya ;)

I remember boring speakers being the bane of my existence. Mom would say we needed to pay attention no matter what but even she knew that some people were hard to follow. A captivating speaker with good stories and illustrations was rare. It made me wonder what would have happened if all their speakers where charismatic and engaging, how much harder it might have been to pull people away.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Typically an elder has a set of canned talks he's developed over the years. My Dad had six or seven talks that he'd "perfected" and would give these over and over at every congregation we went to. (What a blast that was). It's likely that the elder who gave this talk actually worked it up twenty years ago, and just pulled it out of his briefcase last Sunday.

As far as the "scientific facts" that he mentioned.....what can you expect from people who barely graduated High School?

Jehovah's Witnesses, where else can a high school dropout/window washer have dominion over the lives of hundreds of people?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I don't know how old that outline is, but I was still giving that talk a little over five years ago (just before I DAed), and I think I had been giving it for at least four or five years at that point. It certainly hadn't been updated in all that time.

• Mary
    Mary
    And he said that the life sustaining water, only exists on earth... WTH!? It has been proven to exist on the moon, Mars, Mercury, Neptune, several other moons, gas clouds. And is believe to exist on pluto, along with a bunch of those other little planets on the edge of our solar system. Heck lots of comets are made of ICE, so if they hit a planet, Ta Da, that planet now has water on it

Yes, but obviously Satan de Debbil put that evidence there, just to screw with our minds. Although I don't know how he found the time to do this, what with trying to seduce all the Witnesses into committing fornication, running Dateline and planting fake evidence about the dinasaurs in the ground.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit