Kenny Drew On Modern Black American Popular Music.

by hillary_step 48 Replies latest social entertainment

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Kenny Drew Jnr. is the son of the great jazz pianist, now deceased. His own accomplishments are rich and varied, playing with some of the greatest names in modern Jazz and also entering the world of the classical piano with the same success that he has met in the Jazz world.

He published a stinging criticism of the 'rap' music idiom, taking bold side-swipes at the true culprits, the record companies on his web site. Though I do not agree with all his arguments, I find little to disagree with.

Do you think that 'rap' is music? Has it served as a vehicle to downgrade areas of Black society that are already gasping for breath? Does it do a disservice to Black youth?

To those so inclined, I apologize for the language.

KENNY'S KORNER vol.1
    What the Fuck Happened to Black Popular Music?

I've decided to add this section to my website as a vehicle to express my views on various topics, musical and otherwise, that have been on my mind lately. You may wonder why I'm talking about popular music in this first installment, since I am generally thought of as a"jazz" musician. However, anyone who knows me knows that my tastes in music are very eclectic (as are those of most jazz musicians, quiet as it's kept). In fact when I started my career as a professional musician, I was not playing jazz. I started out playing in R&B groups and Top-40 bands. We only played jazz if the club was almost empty!

The 60s - 80s was such an incredible time for all styles of popular music, but for the sake of this discussion I will concentrate specifically on black music (or rhythm-and-blues, or funk, or whatever the hell you want to call it). Recently, I've been listening to a lot of my favorite music from that time, and to be honest, I am disgusted and sickened at how far our music has declined in the quality of the music and its message. How the hell did we get from Motown to Death Row; from Earth Wind & Fire to Ludacris; from Luther Vandross to 50Cent? I remember a time in our music when songs had great melodies and chord changes, you actually had to be able to sing or play an instument to become a musician, and Michael Jackson was black! It's a sad commentary on our culture and society when the biggest thing in popular music is an ex-crack dealer whose claim to fame is being shot nine times, and one of the greatest entertainers in the world was on trial for child molestation. If that's not a sign of the coming Apocalypse, I don't know what is! And if 50Cent was really shot nine times, why couldn't one of those bullets have hit a vital organ? Who the fuck was shooting at him: Stevie Wonder? And as far as all these black rappers getting shot, how about a little equal opportunity violence here? Can't somebody pop a cap in Eminem's white ass?

Another issue in the decline of music today is the stupidity and negativity in the lyrics and the video images that accompany this so-called"music". I recently discovered that there is now a form of rap called"coke rap", in which the lyrics deal mainly with the sale, distribution and use of cocaine and crack. I find it offensive that any record company would try to make a profit from glorifying something that has decimated the black community the way that crack has. I hope that one day while 50Cent is lounging by the pool in his humongous mansion surrounded by beautiful groupies, he might consider how many lives were ruined by the poison he used to sell, and how many more lives will be potentially damaged by the musical poison he's selling now. There's a video by Ludacris that I've seen of a song called"Act a Fool". All I can remember about the video is that there were a lot of shots of him and his boys running from the cops. Don't we have enough young black men running around acting like fools without some idiot rapper encouraging it?( But then again, Ludacris probably makes more money in one month than I'll make in my entire life as a jazz musician. So who's the idiot here? Maybe it's me!)

Remember when the lyrics in our music spoke of love or the loss of love? Who can forget the uplifting messages of peace, hope and spirituality in the lyrics of Earth Wind & Fire? Or the social consciousness and protest messages in the lyrics of Gil Scott-Heron and Marvin Gaye? How the hell did we get from"Just to be Close to You Girl" to"Back That Ass Up Bitch"? How the hell did we get from"What's Goin' On" and"You Haven't Done Nothin'" to"Me So Horny" and"My Hump"?

Last, but not least, it's time to address the musical quality of this bullshit, or more accurately, the lack of it. Way back when, when I first started studying music I was told that music had to consist of three elements: melody, harmony and rhythm. Rap music (an oxymoron similar to"military intelligence"or ³jumbo shrimp") has basically discarded the first two elements and is left with nothing but rhythm. Since only one element of music is present in most of this crap it doesn't even justify being called music. Our culture has been dumbed down to the point where your average dumb-ass American can't tell the difference between a truly great musician and somebody who's been studying their instrument for a week. Playing a musical instrument at a high level is no longer a well-respected skill in our society. (I'm not 100% sure that it ever really was.) In fact, to be honest, I think that most of the students in music schools today who are studying jazz and classical music are wasting their fucking time and their parents' money! (Boy, am I gonna get in trouble for saying this!) Why spend all that time mastering an instrument when you can just get a drum machine and a microphone, write some asinine lyrics about bitches, ho's and pimps and make a ton of money? Sometimes I wonder whether I'm wasting my time in this cesspool called the music industry. These days it seems like the only way to make any serious money in music is to produce some bullshit that doesn't even sound like music!

So what's the solution here? Damned if I know! But I did see an encouraging story on the news recently. A billboard advertising 50Cent's new movie was put up in a black neighborhood not far from a school. In the billboard 50Cent is seen with his heavily tatooed back to the camera with his arms outstretched in a crucifix-like pose with a microphone in one hand and a gun in the other. Understandably, the community was outraged. They held protests, got some media coverage, and eventually succeeded in getting the movie company to remove the billboard. I say that we use this as a model nationwide. I propose a nationwide boycott of rap music; perhaps by picketing in front of record company offices and major record store chains. Anybody remember the"Disco Sucks" movement in the 70s? Maybe it's time for a"Rap Sucks" movement now. Who's with me here? (Actually, looking back on the disco era, that music sounds like Beethoven in comparison to the rap garbage that's poisoning our airwaves now!) Maybe we could have a big"Rap Sucks" rally somewhere.( As long as it doesn't escalate into a riot like the"Disco Sucks" one did.) That's it for now. I'll be back soon with more of my opinions on various topics.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I find it offensive that any record company would try to make a profit from glorifying something that has decimated the black community the way that crack has.

The irony of our times is that our socially conservative elected representatives have gotten our country into such a fiscal mess with the Iraq business that the sort of raw, cynical, 24/7 capitalism that "makes a profit" from things that are so revulsive to social conservatives has become one of the pillars of the economy that is (barely) keeping the coffers full enough to pay the interest (nevermind the principal). There's no room for any moral prescriptiveness for today's CEO, especially if they're in the entertainment business. The only question is, "is there a market for this"? Witness the recent OJ TV special debacle.

As regards to rap, I don't think that most afficianados of the genre refer to it as "music". It's just rap. And they like it. They really really like it. I once posted on this forum that people only pretend to like rap, because I couldn't (and still can't) fathom the appeal. I can't stand it. But after being awakened at 2 am to hear my across-the-street neighbor sit in his car, by himself, and quietly (relatively) listen to rap for a full hour before going into his house, I can no longer kid myself. There's something there that resonates with them, like it or not.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Sir:

Enclosed is $14.95. Please send one "Rap Sucks" t-shirt immediately.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Dan,

As regards to rap, I don't think that most afficianados of the genre refer to it as "music". It's just rap. And they like it. They really really like it. I once posted on this forum that people only pretend to like rap, because I couldn't (and still can't) fathom the appeal. I can't stand it. But after being awakened at 2 am to hear my across-the-street neighbor sit in his car, by himself, and quietly (relatively) listen to rap for a full hour before going into his house, I can no longer kid myself. There's something there that resonates with them, like it

The problem with the ideals of Democracy is that it assumes that people have a brain, know how to use it and are politically informed. This is seldom the case.

With some there is the instict to rule, with most the instinct is to follow the herd and to do so without the effort of generating an original thought, after all why think when others have done it for you. No-one knows this better than those who steer the wheel of the fashion and entertainment buisness. One day they will convince the world that being fashionable involves wearing an elephant turd as a hat and listening to the rhythm of indigestion.

Imho rap is not music, it is astyle, and one that dangerously misrepresents the vast majority of Blacks in the US. I was hoping that those who listen might explain to me what the attraction is.

Best regards - HS

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    These days it seems like the only way to make any serious money in music is to produce some bullshit that doesn't even sound like music!

I agree there, and feel as if anyone can get a record deal nowadays if they know the right people. (too bad I don't)

Imho rap is not music, it is a style, and one that dangerously misrepresents the vast majority of Blacks in the US.

I agree with that, too. Music, to me, are played by instruments and has a singer belting out some GOOD lyrics. Maybe that's just my music training.

I was hoping that those who listen might explain to me what the attraction is.

The beats. I like it, I listen to it, but not nearly as much as I used to (like the 80's when all rap was good).

HS--I'm just curious...are you either black OR American?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I thought I was going to be upset when I read this, but I agree with him, no doubt.

Here's my opinion as to why the transformation occurred, with respect to the quality of black music: black music went from alerting people to life in the ghetto and to the struggles of black folk, to perpetuating the problem and bragging about who's got the "fly-est chain" (mental slavery). So instead of saying, in the music, "Hey, life is tough, but we want to improve our situation, and we have a positive outlook," now it's just "Well, I'm stuck in this ghetto, so I might as well be the best thug I can be. Forget trying to get out, this is my way of life, and I will take advantage of it the best I can."

As to exactly when this change ocurred, I'm sure there are a dozen theories. Early rap was still talking about the problem (Grandmaster Flash's "The Message," etc.). I'm going to put the blame on N.W.A.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

:: Or the social consciousness and protest messages in the lyrics of Gil Scott-Heron.....?

:: Way back when, when I first started studying music I was told that music had to consist of three elements: melody, harmony and rhythm. Rap music has basically discarded the first two elements and is left with nothing but rhythm.

Hmmmm.... I don't recall Gil Scott-Heron having a lot of melody and harmony.

:: I propose a nationwide boycott of rap music; perhaps by picketing in front of record company offices and major record store chains.

While I'm sure this suggestion is somewhat tongue in cheek, it's completely idiotic. There is plenty
    of very intelligent 'Rap' (most informed musicians know it as Hip-Hop) music out there. I propose Mr. Drew
    dig a little deeper than 50 Cent before he broadly proclaims that all 'rap sucks'.

While he is quick to blame the artists and record companies, he doesn't factor in the people that actually
    buy this stuff, the 'black community'? Does he feel that they are not smart enough to make their own
    decisions? Don't they share much of the blame for buying (and buying into) this type of music and lifestyle?

• lowden
    lowden

HS

Rap and Hip-Hop has no doubt been dirtied and degraded by the sheer lack of integrity towards music that alot of black artists exhibit. Alot of Rap has sod all to do with art or music, it's just a vehicle for gun-toting blinged-up arseholes with which to air their sick and criminal minds.

Some hip-hop is brilliant and yes i would call it music. Roots Manuva, Dwele, The Roots, US3 (getting into Jazz/Hip-Hop there) but the hardcore stuff where MotherF**ker is used every second word, has no place in art as far as i'm concerned.

I don't mind the odd swear word in a track but to use swearing as a verbal crutch to prop up ones inability to express oneself is quite plainly lazy, unintelligent and a regression back to the cave.

Eminem, some people say, is an intelligent lad. Well, he does see to have a good command of verse but that's as far as his talent goes.

The words of the very talented Ms Dynamite in her scathing denunciation of scumbag rappers entitled IT TAKES MORE says exactly what an intelligent and literate black person really should be saying about these monstrously over-publicised gangsters.

Yes art is about expression but there are limits. Their 'cool' behaviour has helped to spawn, strengthen and accelerate gun culture and gangland warfare. That's not art!!

Peace

Lowden

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

lonelysheep,

HS--I'm just curious...are you either black OR American?

No, I am neither. Kenny Drew Jnr is Black and American, that is why I deliberately chose him to represent my own views.

Lowden,

I think that your views are pretty well balanced on this issue.

I am not going to pretend that I have time for any rap music at all, but then I have little time for traditional Celtic music which washes over me in waves of repetative tedium. I do know however, which style of music glorifies violence, dangerous drug use, criminality, disgusting sexism - including the rape of woman, and mediocrity of thought and it is not the freckle-faced fiddle player.

HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

sixy,

While he is quick to blame the artists and record companies, he doesn't factor in the people that actually buy this stuff, the 'black community'? Does he feel that they are not smart enough to make their own decisions? Don't they share much of the blame for buying (and buying into) this type of music and lifestyle?

Being part of the Back community himself, I am sure that he is better placed to answer this question than I. My own point of view is that while people are free to buy what music they wish, most people are not very smart at all, and this being said not just about music.

People follow the fashions that the recording companies pick up, manufacture into a product and then market. There are very few musical innovators, and millions of copyists, and this is a reality of modern entertainment and what passes as creativity in the musical world these dyas. The innovators, and of course even rap, hip-hop, whatever you call it had its early innovators, but as money and corporations enter the fray they rely on the tried and tested ignorance of the young to feed the coffers.

That is why I state that rap is not music, it is a style.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit