Is Jesus becoming less relevant - even to Christians?

by nicolaou 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nic:

No. I can only try to understand Christians through my own limited experience, my observations and - importantly - by reference to the touchstone of all Christian denominations, the 'Holy' Bible, especially the Greek Scriptures and in that I am not totally ignorant. We are all 'myopic' in many different areas, I guess that's why discussion boards like this one flourish.

Then you increase your odds of failing, because the JWs are diametrically opposed to most mainstream religions. You were fed a particular way of reading the Bible that is completely different to how others read it. It's a little like being used to reading the cooking instructions of a meal in Celcius and then come across one with Gas Marks, but no conversion table.

Even walking a mile in the shoes of one of the mainstream denominations would give you another perspective to compare and contrast (though I appreciate that option is currently impossible for you due to your circumstances). You can only learn so much from a book. With just two perspectives (JW and atheist) you have at best a caricature of where others are coming from and at worst only a two dimensional tableau of "spirituality" (??).

Corrine:
    What about being in company with the rest of the harem? We all love him and love talking about him. Would you rather ignore that fact and keep in blissful isolation believing you're the only one?

• 5go
    5go
    5go: Good point, well made

What is this for if jesus it was a good point! jesus

I fell jesus I am jesus beating a jesus dead horse!

Thank you, jesus

5go, jesus

P.S. I hate jesus this stupid jesus white noise! Jesus Christ it's bad in here oh it's gone. I quess it's was on my end. I got rid of somehow. Now you can hear normal again! jesus

• RAF
    RAF

Ross,

Corrine:
    What about being in company with the rest of the harem? We all love him and love talking about him. Would you rather ignore that fact and keep in blissful isolation believing you're the only one?

Harem who's the husband?
    We all love him and love talking about him ... yeah I like that it's good to hear you all talking about him
    Would you rather ignore that fact and keep in blissful isolation believing you're the only one? ( / ) ... But what are we doing here sometimes? if not talking about him at any occasion I know I'm not alone ... I don't know what any Church could bring to me, I'm just telling it's my choice, I don't want to take the risk to be dissapointed at the end anyway ... but if any is going to church to meet other christians it's ok since they are not attached to it or worse their leaders. It wouldn't be my right to judge them anyway ... Who am'I? Just a Bro!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

nic

DD: In response to my comments that you might "at least prefer atheists and others to behave with a form of morality and civility" you said: "You may want to take that up with Christ."

That comment was in regard to this part of your statement "You appear to condemn it but in the absence of a belief in Christ wouldn't you at least prefer atheists..."

I'm not condemning, Jesus did.

Face the question DD, I'm asking you, not Jesus. How would you like non-christians and atheists to behave?

What a ridiculous question! It's really none of my business. Do you mean if I were in God's shoes or the real world? Do you really want to please me? I have no personal authority over people. Besides you may not like my standard. It would be selfish of me to impose my personal morals on anyone else. I can only concern myself with me. I can't concern myself with "non-christians and atheists". They will behave as they do, "self" righteously, and that's fine with me. That's life!

It's what people do that matters to me!

I guess you want to be God. Do you really live your life worrying about how other people behave? Does this make you happy? Maybe you could tell me, would you like to receive more grace or more justice?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

What's the matter DD, are you too scared to come down off that fence and voice an opinion to which you'll be held accountable? By all means line yourself up with Christ but be a man for Christ's sake! Stop hiding behind his skirts.

Do you condemn atheists? How would you like atheists to behave?

I guess you want to be God.

I get slapped with a god complex simply because it matters more to me what people do rather than what beliefs they hold?!! Oh man, you crack me up, I guess you'd like atheists to just .

Have a good day DD

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'm not going to tell you how I like atheists to behave, either - ohhhh Sculllly!!!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

nic

What's the matter DD, are you too scared to come down off that fence and voice an opinion to which you'll be held accountable? By all means line yourself up with Christ ...

LT is right, you can't understand why Christ is so relevant to me.

...but be a man for Christ's sake! Stop hiding behind his skirts.

Sorry, I'm a slave to Christ!

How would you like atheists to behave?

I would like them to continue to demonstrate God's grace! So by all means, don't zip it! Carry on! LT Could you explain to nic, why a Calvinist (even a hyper one) really doesn't care how the atheist/nonbeliever behaves?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Oy!

Nic' [bangs head repeatedly against desk]

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

LOL

Its amusing seeing both sides of this debate, and the frustrations it incurs. I know, I know, I'm perverse, revelling in anothers' misery

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

nic

Do you condemn atheists?

No! But, Jesus said

John 3:18

He who believes on Him is not condemned, but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.

Does this help?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit