Why did we failed to see the rather obvious signs?

by greendawn 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

When we decided to accept the JWs something drew us to them perhaps the belief that they had the truth and they could provide a refuge from the so called Armageddon. Or it could be the need to belong somewhere or to associate with (ostensibly) spiritual people as was the case with me.

But why (unlike many other interested persons) did we miss the many rather obvious signs that there was something fundmentally wrong with this organisation so as to save ourselves a lot of trouble in the future when deciding to leave it? Eg their charitable works were basically non existent, the congos were very cliquish and unwelcoming to outsiders, all dissension was severely suppressed, the whole ambience was not really religious and warm but very cold and business like.

alt

• dobbie
    dobbie

Perhaps we were drawn in because we needed to belong somewhere, or the way they all seemed to be totally convinced it WAS the truth made me think they must be right. I don't know but i was 19 and my best friend was in it and i liked the social scene ( though after i was baptised it was non existent - no clique for me!) I think that personally once i got in to it and she was pushing for my baptism i did'nt want to see the signs, it would have been too awkward to have stopped studying with her i would have lost her friendship (though i have now anyway). Also aren't they always telling you to push any doubts from your mind etc , boy was i stupid!!

(ps have to mention your picture - i have that one over my fire in the sitting room, i think it's beautiful)

• greendawn
    greendawn

Hi Dobbie, I was the same age when I joined the dubs and of course at that age we lack the maturity and experience to correctly judge on such big issues as religion. It appared to me that the dubs were the only people in the world that cared about spirituality but of course there were a lot more. It is also cajoling that they show a personal interest in you and visit you at your home. But I didn't know how to do any serious research about their ideology. Like so many other people I also noticed the sudden distancing after baptism when in fact that's the time they should help newcomers to adjust to that new and very demanding environment. Of course they didn't have that sort of cordial mentality because at heart their org is a business pretending to be a religion.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

The jaydubs were practically my first experience of "church," so I had nothing to compare them to.

Besides, they roped me in in the early '70's, before the paranoia about "worldly association" and "apostacy" had gathered a full head of steam. Sure, they love-bombed me – gently – but it seemed to me that they were all love-bombing each other, too.

At the time, The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah had just been released; this was my first exposure to Bible prophecy and the whole notion that it could be deciphered. So the religion seemed to have formidable intellectual content. Ethics, brains, heart (much more open to "winning them [anybody!] over without a word" by good works) - the jaydubs seemed to have it all.

And I was only 17, for chrissake.

gently feral

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

An exaggerated sense of personal "specialness" which WT literature reinforces in receptive readers in spades.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Never had a choice. I was baptized at 11 because my cousin (5 mos. younger than me!) was getting baptized and my mother and her sister thought is would be nice for us to do it together. viola! 20+ years later the light bulb goes on over my head. I made them DF me. My cousin is a circuit overseer. I was the lucky one.

• JH
    JH
    they could provide a refuge from the so called Armageddon

Well, at first, I was ready to pay any price to be saved.

So, I SAW many errors with the JW's but I overlooked it, keeping my eye on the prize.

An elder told us once, if you see a dirty stop sign, it's still a stop sign. What he meant was, even if you see many errors in the organizaton, it's the truth anyways.

From that point, you start accepting errors and you still think it's God's organization.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Cant really answer the question since I was born into it and it was forced upon me from my first breath.

However, one talent the dubs possess is to convince the potential convert that everyone else is WRONG. From the get-go, they attack every other religion on the face of the earth, exposing their flaws and contradictions whilst trumpeting their own standards of "interpretive correctness", I think for many people, this is the hook. It leads to the position: "Well, they may have some flaws, but EVERY OTHER religion is much worse".....This effectively shuts down internally generated criticisms.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Hi and welcome to this forum greendawn,

In reply to your question, I like to also point out that there is a social aspect to when people first meet up with Jehovah witnesses. The first calling at the door by those well-dressed and groomed individuals

is the start of the introduction of this organization. This leaves an impression with the person that these are nice and honest people. So a book study starts with an interested one and so does the selling of the WTS. The JW that started the book study has been well trained and versed on how to sell to the newly interested one that the Jehovah's witnesses are god’s one and only true religion on earth they typically use bad world events which are troublesome and not good. Then they say this was all foretold and prophesied in the Bible and we can prove it, blab blah blah. Then the person thinks no really I didn’t know that, I'm very impressed, I think these people have got something here. So the invitation to go to a talk that following Sunday morning is introduced and the person attends it. And wouldn't you know it the person gets introduced to other JW's with greetings and smiles which again leaves the impression that these people are really nice and friendly. For the person who just witnessed his or her first contact with the Jehovah's Witnesses all seems good.

Then over time if the person stays with the organization he or she too goes through the mental manipulation in that everything that is said and written by the WTS. is the honest and the undeniable truth of all that is happening on the earth today and yesterday. So therefore they demand all followers or slaves as are called to kneel and succumb to their power with unquestionable devotion.

It is common knowledge that where there is power and control and maybe even money that men will strive toward that attainable goal for the betterment of themselves. If for example you were to do a background study on the people that started this religion like C. T. Russell and big judge Rutherford. You would clearly see that these men were great power seekers to the extreme. But they obtained that power from false pretences and conjecture.

The king keeps control of his slaves and the power that he has obtained, by the virtue of information given.

Unfortunately many of the stated doctrines and ideas were devised primarily and structured on increasing the circulation of the magazines and whatever else they were selling and yes they did have profits in mind.

Now in the kingdom halls there is a state of fear that is established between the elders, ministerial servants and congregation overseers, the eyes are upon you so to speak at all times to make sure everyone falls in line, all in the disguise that this is God's will and purpose which it is obviously not.

Unfortunately the reason why it takes so many Jehovah's Witnesses so long to wake up and realize that this is not God's organization and that they have perjured the truth is because the Jehovah's Witnesses are not allowed to question, analyze or debate any policies or instructions from headquarters. There is a mental mindset that when you walk into the Kingdom hall doors you leave any self observational thinking at the door or at least it's very frowned on. Remember too that at the book studies and watchtower studies the questions on the material is given by them they tell you what to think and how to think about their written material. This in essence is mind manipulation and control its not too hard to understand that.

So it kind of seems that the WTS. really started a psychosis of fear to the public by using world events and the imminent Armageddon in a venture to power themselves and power they certainly did receive. Having said that I can honestly say that I've gained some things from the organization perhaps some communication skills and some knowledge of other religions to my benefit and I did meet some very good people there, but I’m glad I’m out and probably will never return.

I guess I rambled long enough now so I'll let someone else have a chance.

All the best .....

• Gregor
    Gregor

Kid A and TheTrueOne both made excellent observations on what sucks people into JWs with their eyes wide open, and many of them never see what is right in front of them. Once a person turns their personal responsibily for life decisions and perceptions over to this organization they in a very real way become drones, zombies, robots or whatever word you want to give them. It is understandable that the young and unsophisticated are the most vulnerable. Next would be those whom a happy, fullfilling life has been elusive. TheTrueOne put it very well, I wish I could get every JW to read that essay just once.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit