Playing with words...

by Lumptard 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Lumptard
    Lumptard

I was talking w/ an elder last week about whether or not JWs have the only correct interpretation of the bible

Me: Is there only one correct interpretation of the bible?

Elder: Yes.

Me: If there is only one correct interpretation, then why does each religion that is based on the bible have a slightly different interpretation that coincides with what their leaders require of the religion's members?

Elder: Because all of the other religions besides JWs are under the influence of Satan. (shows me the scripture that says "whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one")

Me: So how do JWs know that theirs is the correct interpretation?

Elder: I don't like to use the word "interpretation"

Me: Uh.........wha?

Elder: "Interpretation" has the connotation of someone putting a spin on something. I prefer to use the word "understanding"

Me: I'm just using the dictionary's definition of interpretation. (interpretation: n. The act or process of explaining the meaning of something.)

Elder: Ok, but I still prefer to use "understanding"...The JW's understanding of the bible is the only correct one. (understanding: n.superior power of discernment; enlightened intelligence)

.....and then he went off with some type of circular logic that left me more confused than I was to begin with.

ARRGH...anyone else have this type of thing happen to them?...did I just get an illogical elder?

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Ask them no questions, and they tell ya no lies!

• TD
    TD

ARRGH...anyone else have this type of thing happen to them?...did I just get an illogical elder?

I don't think so. You would have gotten circular logic in one form or another from almost any JW elder.

Jehovah's Witnesses have the correct interpretation of the Bible because they are God's earthly organization

Jehovah's Witnesses were chosen to be God's earthly organization because they had the correct interpretation of the Bible

They can't help it because they accept conclusions that are unproven and unprovable as fact.

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Well, I suppose there is a sense in which I am being facetious, but there is a difference between the two words "interpretation" and "understanding"

In fact, much of the "understanding" the WTS has on a particular passage of scripture is based entirely on their "interpretation" of it. For example take these simple four words of Act 13:2:

"The Holy Spirit said"

The WTS "understanding" on those words is entirely based on their preconceived "interpretation" of the function of the Holy Spirit, which is to regard Him, like the butter you spread on your toast, as a thing. Being a thing "it" becomes incapable of saying anything, so they "understand" those words to be:

"[Evidently] using the holy spirit, Jesus said" [1st Sept WT 1987, pg 12] The fact that they are negating what the word of God says, does not seem to disturb them.

The arrogance of WT belief sees them as having the Bible's "understanding" of any given text, while we only have our own "interpretation" of it. It is this dogmatic certitude, unencumbered by any need for clarity of exposition, which ensures that the R&F are kept ensnared in WTS doctrinal institutionalism.

Cheers. Great post, by the way.

• Lumptard
    Lumptard

Thanks...

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

All JW discussions end up in illogical circles due to the large number of holes in Watchtower theology. The come back against the elders reasoning is that if the Watchtower understanding is true, why does it change. He will say "new light", but that does not address the issue of significant changes and doctrinal flip flops. How will we know when the light is truth and not still falsehood and requiring more new light. Of course the elder will say JWs have the most correct understanding about the important issues like the Trinity and Soul and Last Days. To which you could say that Christadelphians and Church of God believe the same, so which he will start a JC and disfellowship you.

Look at http://jwfacts.com/index_files/5min.htm for some ideas to discuss with him, but realise you will never get anywhere with a brainwashed person that does not want to see other points of view, you will just get yourself in trouble.

• uninformed
    uninformed

Me: Is there only one correct interpretation of the bible?

Elder: Yes.

Me: If there is only one correct interpretation, then why does each religion that is based on the bible have a slightly different interpretation that coincides with what their leaders require of the religion's members?

Elder: Because all of the other religions besides JWs are under the influence of Satan. (shows me the scripture that says "whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one")

Me: So how do JWs know that theirs is the correct interpretation?

Elder: I don't like to use the word "interpretation"

Me: Uh.........wha?

Elder: "Interpretation" has the connotation of someone putting a spin on something. I prefer to use the word "understanding"

Me: I'm just using the dictionary's definition of interpretation. (interpretation: n. The act or process of explaining the meaning of something.)

Elder: Ok, but I still prefer to use "understanding"...The JW's understanding of the bible is the only correct one. (understanding: n.superior power of discernment; enlightened intelligence)

.....and then he went off with some type of circular logic that left me more confused than I was to begin with.

Where the real problem is with the JW logic, is that although they claim to have the correct interpretation, over a period of time, they often change their "current understanding".

If they were on the hot line with God and the Holy Spirit, they would not have to change, so the question begs, When they say that they are the correct understanding, WHEN was it correct, in 1914 or now, in 1960 or now, in 1994 or 1995. Anyway, I am sure you get the picture.

Its just basically BS, and talk about circular, that is exactly what a fresh pile of bullshit is, circular.

Brant

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit