Question on Teaching UN is Beast to recruits?

by hawkaw 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Question to you intelligent JWs and exJWs.

Does the WT, through its knowledge book or whatever, make sure new recruits know who the scarlet coloured wild beast is or disgusting thing is (ie, the UN), who is part of the great harlot etc before becoming full blown JWs?

Like should new recruits know this off by heart thanks to the rote teaching?

hawk

• comment
    comment

From 1995 onward (and I believe this has just changed recently, in terms of a return to a more extended Bible study program), those studying to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses would optimally go through the book Knowledge That Leads to Everlasting Life (1995) in six months (most took longer, a few less).

That book contains NO references to either the League of Nations or the United Nations, positive or negative.

Interestingly, the book passes up an opportunity to refer explicitly to the UN on page 106 under the subheading "Respond to the Evidence."

It says: "How will this system end? The Bible foretells a 'great tribulation' that will begin with an attack by this world's political element upon 'Babylon the Great,' the world empire of false religion. (Matthew 24:21; Revelation 17:5, 16)"

By contrast, the Revelation Climax (1988) book is much more explicit when it states in chapter 28: "Yes, the nations will use the scarlet-colored wild beast, the United Nations, in destroying Babylon the Great. They do not act on their own initiative, for Jehovah puts it into their hearts 'even to carry out their one thought by giving their kingdom to the wild beast.' When the time comes, the nations will evidently see the need to strengthen the United Nations. They will give it teeth, as it were, lending it whatever authority and power they possess so that it can turn upon false religion and fight successfully against her 'until the words of God will have been accomplished.' Thus, the ancient harlot will come to her complete end. And good riddance to her!"

Having completed a study of the Knowledge book, the prospective baptismal candidate, by now participating in the door-to-door ministry and "living according to Bible standards," would go through the baptismal questions on pages 175-218 of the book Organized to Accomplish Our Ministry (1983), with several elders.

The Organized book contains NO references to either the League of Nations or the United Nations.

If the questions were answered successfully, the person could now get baptized.

Therefore, depending on what materials were discussed at congregation meetings during the period of an interested person's Bible study, I believe it would have been POSSIBLE, at least for a good portion of the 1990's, for a person to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses without knowing whom the Society identifies as the scarlet-colored wild beast or the disgusting thing.

I'd be interested to see what others have to say on this matter.

comment

• Moxy
    Moxy

this is unsurprising. the trend with the Knowledge book and ESPECIALLY the Require brochure is to strip the study down to the bare bones. The weird revelation relics from rutherfords day, include the UN as wild beast, are relegated to the few remaining 'deep' books like Revelation. I doubt the topic would have been mentioned even in the last study book, the Live Forever book, published in '83. I wouldn't be surprised if one had to go all the way back to the Let God be Found True to find mention of the League of Nations in a primary study book. I'll have to check but it doesn't seem particularly significant. It's simply not a very central doctrine. You can get baptized with little more than pointing up when being asked, 'where's jehovah?'

mox

• Trilobite
    Trilobite

I was under the impression that the teaching that the UN is the disgusting thing causing desolation had be changed fairly recently. This came from a JW. I don't have access to Watchtowers after 1997. Any clarification on this?

Thanks,

T.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

LOL at Mox

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Hawkaw,

a very good question.

I do believe you have received an answer already.

Moxy gave a more precise view of the "bible' study".

"the trend with the knowledge book and ESPECIALLY the Require brochure is to strip the study down to the bare bones."

True, and very accurate. As a matter of fact in the "Knowledge "
    book, only 2 ยงยง are dealing with the "blood issue " and NONE
    at all in the "Require" brochure ...!

Can you imagine if someone can be ready to dedicate his /her
    life with such a "thin " knowledge of some vital issues.

It show where the WTBS' real interest is: NUMBERS
    both phisical and...financial.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Hawkaw,

As others have commented, the JW "study" will only be told the basics. However, they will be encouraged to read the "deeper" books including the prophetic commentaries. Also, during the course of a Bible study the student will be told more than is written in the text.

A search of the WTS website shows these statements as typical of the material that prospective JWs will be reading:

7. Jesus' disciples must be no part of this wicked world. (John 17:16) They do not get involved in the world's political affairs and social controversies. They avoid the harmful conduct, practices, and attitudes that are common in the world. (James 1:27; 4:4) Can you identify a religious group in your community that has these marks of true Christianity?

This article can be found at:
    ( http://www.watchtower.org/library/rq/article_13.htm

Also, regarding the UN and the League of Nations the WTS states this on the Official Website of Jehovah's Witnesses:

Because our first parents rejected God's law, human government came under the control of Satan. Appropriately the Bible calls Satan "the god of this system of things." (2 Corinthians 4:4) The wars, the cruelties, the corruption, and the instability of man's governments prove that he is. The League of Nations and the United Nations have failed to bring peace out of the confusion. Mankind cries out for a government of peace.

Full reference can be found here:
    ( http://www.watchtower.org/library/lmn/article_10.htm

So while the WTS does not on its public sites state that the UN is the image of the wild beast of Revelaton they state that being involved with the social issues of this world (human rights being a social issue) are harmful practices and the UN is a failure. This is not good PR for the UN and the WTS is suppose to use its media outlets to support the ideals of United Nations Org. Do they know about this?

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Thirdson,

thanks for your reminders,

from the WTBS web's pages. It always better to

be able to quote " ..their own words..."!

Thanks again, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• OhHappyDay
    OhHappyDay

The book actually used in the Cong Boo Study identifies the UN as the biest, doesn't it?
    I dont have it aty hand right now, bur I'm very sure about it.
    Happy Day!

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Thanks to all for responding. I didn't realize I would get so many responses. Wow!

OHDay,

Is this the book study you are doing right now?

hawk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit