My ribs hurt

by FrightMare 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

The "secret" answer to the question about Adam's rib holds very little value in my personal opinion. It is an irrelevant topic that neither proves or disproves biblical authenticity, unless the origin of myths and fables is a concern.

However, in order to participate, I will offer my former opinion as an active JW, and that was early man (in whatever form you may accept) had fashioned many tools and possibly weapons from the ribs of different animals.

Therefore, the author of the Genesis account could have used knowledge about that aspect of early man's daily life during the compilation of the biblical creation story.

It is a rather convenient bone to fashion into a digging tool or handle or even some type of dagger, perhaps even a musical instrument of sorts to strike some type of drum? Who knows? One thing for sure, the verses that detail the creation of woman using the rib certainly have a "primtive or prehistoric" overtone in the underlying thoughts.

That's my two-cents.

• Xena
    Xena

Since we are getting technical...I found this in Larry Richards book "Baffling Bible Questions Answered" :

Q. Why would God make Eve from Adam's rib rather than shape her as he ad Adam? Is this just another proof of the Bible's chauvinistic attitude toward women?

A. It is, in fact just the opposite. If God had made Eve from clay after he created Adam, it might be argued that women are different from and, as a later creation, inferior to men. (per me or superior?) In forming Eve from Adam's rib God confirmed woman's identity with man. Eve was thus a full partner with Adam in God's gift of the divine image and likeness.

Personally I don't believe the Bible...but thought some of you might find this interesting....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit