JWs funerals.......forget about the dead person lets preach!

by new boy 54 Replies latest jw friends

• zack
    zack

Being raised in the "TRUTH" I have gone to many JW Funerals. The more you DID for the religion, the more "credit" you got, the "MORE CERTAIN" your

hope of a resurrection was, the more you were remembered. The dead person gets 5 minutes and the the WTS get 40 of a 45 min. talk. I have told my friends

that I'll make sure they get at least 30 min. They all laugh. But they know its true. You're used and then forgotten, both in life and in death. Once they can't get anything more from you

you're done.

The last JW Funeral I attended was held at a Funeral Home. The Memorial Service was also held at the Funeral Home. When I asked the widower, a friend of some time and an elder of

many years why no KH Funeral, he said of his wife and I paraphrase: 'She and her family suffered enough through her cancer. I wanted to have it in a place where the people

understood families and grieiving. I didn't want to have to use the outline for her eulogy." And he didn't. The brother who spoke, spoke about her. Her beleifs were just one facet of her life

and he didn't emphasize it over any other facet. It was warm, full of anecdotes, humor, memories, and kindness and love. Best JW Funeral ever---- at a local Funeral Home.

Zack----

• Mary
    Mary

This will explain why their "funeral talks" are so pathetic.......Here's the outline that they're supposed to use:

FUNERAL DISCOURSE

REMARKS REGARDING THE DECEASED (Use any that apply and are appropriate.)
    Details regarding age, birth, when married, and so forth
    By whom the deceased is survived
    Dedication record, including privileges of service
    Exemplary qualities displayed by the deceased (Eccl. 7:1)

THE HOPE THE DECEASED ENTERTAINED
    Worshiped Jehovah, the God of wisdom, justice, love, power
    Had faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12)
    Appreciated God's purpose regarding earth (Gen. 1:28)
    Sure to be realized (Isa. 11:9; 55:10, 11; Rev. 21:4)

Why good people die

Disobedience of Adam (-Gen. 3:19; contrast with Genesis 2:7.)
    Offspring inherited death (Rom. 5:12)

Condition of the dead
    Soul is mortal (Ezek 18:4, 20)
    Dead are unconscious (Ps. 146:4; Eccl. 3:19; 9:5, 10)
    The resurrection hope
    Made possible by sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Matt. 20:28)
    Christ's resurrection a guarantee (1 Cor. 15:22, 23)
    God uses Jesus to raise the dead (John 5:28, 29)
    For the anointed, resurrection is to heavenly life (1 Cor. 15:51-54; Rev. 20:4, 6)"Other sheep" resurrected to life in earthly Paradise (Luke 23:43; John 10:16)Armageddon survivors can hope to see the deceased one again soon
    Others too are in line for resurrection (Acts 24:15)

WHY IT IS GOOD TO GO TO HOUSE OF MOURNING
    Can comfort the bereaved; loss is mutual
    Take to heart uncertainty of life (Ps. 90:12; Eccl. 7:2)
    Makes us think about how we are using our life

HOW WE CAN BENEFIT FROM BEING HERE
    While living, make good name with Jehovah God (Eccl. 7:1)
    Lay up treasures in heaven (Matt. 6:19-21)
    One way is to take zealous part in witness work, if qualified (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20)
    In this way and by godly conduct, we contribute to sanctification of Jehovah's name (Prov. 27:11)
    Resurrection hope an incentive to learn and do divine will(l Cor. 15:58)

(Note: Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this outline to give a fine witness concerning the truth. Good balance should be observed in this regard. Doctrinal points can be presented as beliefs of the deceased, which served as motivation for him. Purpose of talk is to uphold Jehovah God as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the bereaved. Use of a song such as No. 102 (53) or 187 (93) is optional. A brief prayer at the close is fitting. When arrangement is made to go to the grave, it is well to consider quite briefly the hope through the Kingdom, reading one or two scriptures, such as Job 14:14, 15 and 1 Corinthians 15:5413-57. This service may also be closed with prayer, thanking Jehovah for the resurrection hope, which is of great comfort. The talk need not exceed 30 minutes.)

So once again, by their own hand, they condemn themselves. The bottom line is: don't show too much respect for the deceased, because that would take up precious time that could be spent promoting our infomercial. I've heard countless 'worldly' people express their total disgust at Witness funerals. Far from wanting to study with the Dubs, it demonstrates what the religion is really all about.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

My grandmother died before my wife was able to meet her. The funeral was a witness funeral even though she was never a witness. My wife was astounded at how impersonable it was. She made the comment that she didn't know anymore about my grandmother than before the funeral. The didn't talk about her one bit, just read the obituary from the little pamphlet you get at the funeral home.

Just the opposite, we both recently attend my uncles funeral. It was a Baptist funeral and they spent the entire time talking about him and his service in the Korean War and praised him and my still living aunt for caring for 42 handicapped foster children while they were married. The preacher said that if anyone deserved to go to heaven it was my uncle. Then at the graveside the VFW gave him a 21 gun salute. I was so proud of him. When we went back to my mother's house my brother and sister were saying how aweful the service was and how they had no idea what they were talking about. I spoke up and told them that I thought it was a wonderful service and that it's what our aunt wanted and that's all that matters.

JW's just don't get it.

• Mary
    Mary
    When we went back to my mother's house my brother and sister were saying how aweful the service was and how they had no idea what they were talking about. I spoke up and told them that I thought it was a wonderful service and that it's what our aunt wanted and that's all that matters.

I ran into the same situation last year at the funeral of a good friend's mother. My friend's son, an elder, was there with his family as it was held in a funeral home. The minister read scriptures in both the OT and the NT that speaks of heavenly life after we die and I thought he did a wonderful job. My friend's son came up to me afterwards and told me how much the talk "creeped" him out. He was just pissed off that they were 'sending someone to heaven' (so to speak), who was not a Dub or baptized before 1935. I told him I thought he did an excellent job. They just don't get it.

• stapler99
    stapler99

I've been to a few JW funerals, not for people I knew very well though. One thing that happened once that I thought was inconsiderate was that the "Kingdom Melodies" were sung and they didn't think to provide song-sheets for the non-witness attenders (that is, everyone in the person's family, and there were quite a few) so when it came to sing the song, the speaker suddenly realised that we needed to pass the song-books around.

• Undecided
    Undecided

The one I attended recently was much better than the ones I used to do. The speaker talked quite a bit about the person who died. He read a paper that her grandchild had written about her and it was really heart warming. It really surprised me.

Ken P.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I think to attend a Witness funeral is to accord the Witness funeral message and the whole Witness group a respect they did not earn and do not deserve.

That's why I didn't attend my mother's "memorial" at the kingdom hall, and neither did anyone else in my family. They knew next to nothing about her other than what she recorded on her monthly report, so what could they say about her? "She was a good sister - she placed a lot of magazines." They knew very little about who she really was.

W

• Jourles
    Jourles

The last and only JW funeral I went to was around '94. Two brothers(they were fleshly bros too) and I shared an apartment in Monument, CO. We were all good friends. One day when I was at work, a brother from our hall came in and said in a somber low tone, "Josh, Elias died today." I didn't quite make it out at first, but when he said it again, all of my strength left my body and I fell to the floor. I was totally stunned. I left work and went to his parent's place. Several others were already there. Everyone just talked about the good times we had with Elias. Towards the evening, their place was packed - standing room only. No one left until late that night.

When we had the memorial at the hall the following Saturday, it was packed. They had to set up speakers outside the hall so the people standing outdoors could hear the talk. This was only the second funeral/memorial I had ever been to. The first was for my grandmother(not a witness). After roughly 10 minutes of being preached to, I couldn't stand it and went outside. I was so pissed that the brother giving the talk didn't say anything personal about Elias unless it had something to do with the "ministry." And let's not mash words here - Elias was just as much of a party boy as the rest of us were. His "spiritual" level wasn't any higher than the rest of us 21 year old wannabe frat boys.

Even back then, when I was still mentally "in," it disgusted me to hear that talk. I was expecting something totally different. To this day, I'm glad I never had to attend another jw funeral. I'm dreading the day to hear one for my parents. In fact, I'm fairly certain that I will interrupt it, take over, and say what I want to say. And I'm pretty sure that the elders in their hall might let me do it too(they all know me from when I was very little).

Death sucks. RIP - Elias Barrera

• james_woods
    james_woods

This is an especially bad example that the witnesses are setting. They are simply showing out in public, to a grieving captive audience (most times with incredulous non-witnesses attending) that they really care very little for their people. They only (officially) care about hammering home their illogical sin & death & earned resurecction message.

However, there have been exceptions - as noted earlier. One elderly sister, Lois Van Doren, from Oak Glen in Okla. City died and received the most honerable witness funeral I ever heard. Of course, it didn't hurt at all that she was probably one of the most faithful, kind, and best-loved witness ladies ever, and that out congregation servant was the late Marion Dunlap. Marion cared more about doing the right thing than following that outline, and this ended up more like a normal christian funeral, with expressions of the many things she did to help others.

And, we should not forget that other religions can make a mess of a funeral, too. My sister crashed into the arrangements when my father died and forced her semi-holy-roller Baptist preacher in. (She did not even tell me my dad had died until after she called this guy and the funeral home.) My dad specifically asked me to have the local Presbyterian minister to the ceremony and I had to go back and tell this guy we had been hoodwinked, mainly so Norma could make a big production for her church friends. Yes, she is also ex-witness but went over to this.

Amoung other really unbelievable statements was "notice that the only people crying in this room are non-christians. That is why you see Muslims crying and crying at funerals. Christians know about the heavenly hope, blah blah blah.". My female companion is Buddhist, but I don't think she noticed it because she was trying to take care of my mother, who was crying like a Muslim. Also, naming the exact star formation where heaven was, and that it was an exact cube of 1000 miles on each dimension. Jeez! Even the witnesses quit that back in the 40s, didn't they? He also personally broke out into a wailing gospel song (yes - himself, not a competent singer) later in the service. It was as spooky as watching "Rev." Tilton break into the tongues.

My point being: these are times of extreme pain and emotion. It must take a person with the ego and cruelty of a Joseph Stalin to impose their will on people who are having this transition - no matter what the religion. The better (more reasonable) religions seem to manage a form of dignity in such matters - for everybody - family, friends, and the deceased.

James

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear New Boy,

Sounds like you recently had someone you cared about die. I am very sorry. Not long ago my grandfather died. We were sickened in that from the entire talk, my Grandfather was only mentioned under 5 minutes. Basically his obituary was read, and that was it. Like you said, the rest was just a opportunity to witness to all in the audience who where not witnesses. In our case, half of the family that sat there, although only two were officially disassociated, have left the Borg. So as we sat there it very much felt like the speaker was preaching at us. By the time it was over we were furious, not to mention heartbroken. My Grandfather was a VERY colorful character. Everyone loved him, and he had tons of funny stories from his life he eagerly shared. But sadley non of those fond memories were ever talked about. Just how much he believed in the so called truth. Which was the straw that broke the camels back. That was a complete lie!! He had been inactive for years, and often gave my Grandmother a hard time. The truth be told, I was shocked they even allowed a memorial talk to be given in the hall at all. They did it only for my Grandmother. And I believe they did it because they knew they had all of us in one place at one time to preach at us. We left there upset, and not comforted at ALL! In no way was that a memorial talk. Whats sad is that my dad and I talked to my grandmother and asked that she be sure to have the speaker really talk about Grandpa and his life. She assured us she did, and he would. But it never happened.

Anyhow..guess I needed to vent. It's just sad. I went to a memorial talk given for a husband to a lady I work with. It was not lavish, but very simple. Each family member got to tell a little about him, and even though many in the audience were there because they worked with his wife, we all were brought to heartwarming tears as we listened to his stories of his life. I told my husband, now why in the world would it be wrong for the organization to give that kind of respect? Neither of us had ever been to a memorial service that was given by another faith. It was so refreshing. I actually felt good about the respect shown. Yet later, it made me mad because I reflected on what my Grandfather recieved and what it could have been like and it makes me sick! After all don't witnesses say that a persons death is more important then their birth because of the person they have become?? Yet it is only worth 5 minutes of a obituary being read.. if your lucky that is!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit