Did the Watchtower Destroy your Faith in Humanity?

by The wanderer 19 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Not at all..If the WBT$ is the measure of "Morale Standards",then they should be measured by thier own "Morale Yardstick".....No one has the "Impecable Morales" of those associated with the WBT$..The WBT$ says so.....The rest of us,with "Lower Standards",according to the WBT$,feel the "WBT$ Morales" are less than "Disgusting".....After my life with the WBT$,I have great hope for the rest of the world...OUTLAW

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

Nah... people are too good for that.

FBF

• blondie
    blondie

I survived the sexual abuse of my father and the verbal and emotional abuse of my alcoholic JW mother. What the WTS did was minor in comparison. I have retained my trust in people, but take it one person at a time.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

yes. and it was replaced with knowledge about humanity thankfully!

i do not associate pessimism with skepticism. skeptics are some of the most well adjusted people i have ever met. i think of carl sagan when i think of skeptics. that should say a lot.

i also do not associate faith with optimism. fundamentalists are some of the most unhappy people i have ever met. i think of the governing body when i i think of fundies. that should say a lot too.

i was angry at my loss of faith in god and humanity for a couple of months. but then when i realized that in the process i had gained a knowledge about both phenomena, and suddenly i became quite satisfied with the change in me.

hope i answered your questions,

tetra

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    what is your attitude toward God, religion, governments,
    corporations, and humanity in general?

God is a metaphor to me. i hope that someday humans will see God as that again.

religion is religion. it has not evolved fast enough, and is now dieing off, plain and simple.

governments are religions. taxes are the collection plate. property is the bread. the blood of it's "citizens" the wine.

corporations are religions. and as you can tell, i don't like religions.

humanity is composed of individuals. i have good reason to believe that humanity will outlive these other misassesments of nature and the cosmos.

tetra

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Rich:

I can't say for certain that they destroyed my faith in humanity because I am not sure I ever had much faith in humanity to begin with. I always knew people were imperfect and selfish. It would be more correct to say they destroyed my faith in RELIGION in general. It seems all religion starts out with good intentions and ends up being corrupt with the few trying to lord it over the many. It is the oldest story in the human race.

What I did get was an education about cultish behavior, manipulation and sales tactics in general which I have become an expert in fending off.

LHG

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Not in Humanity as a whole - indeed I find humanity to be utterly refeshing at times, now that I can view people without my judgment hat on. But it very nearly destroyed my faith in Religion as an institution. But not my personal faith.

Jeff

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

God-not sure

Relgion-Hate it

Governments-do not trust

Corporations-Opinion varies

Humanity-There is still hope for

Overall: try to remain positive but experience with the WT has made me skeptical & cautious.

• serendipity
    serendipity

WT doctrine made me cynical of institutions.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The WT did not destroy my faith in humanity, BTW what exactly do you mean by "faith in humanity"? Is it like faith in god? I never thought of myself as having any faith in humanity, people will be people, we are both good and bad, benevolent and opportunist, carring and unconcerned etc... what's there to have faith in?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit