funeral talk script

by candidlynuts 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

I remember an Elder once saying from the platform that an upcoming memorial should be viewed like another meeting. We should come even if we did not know the sister. After all, we would not want to make the family (who were not in the truth) think we did not LOVE this sister

• juni
    juni

I recall pictures of the person being posted at the funeral home. Then we'd talk to each other about Bro. or Sister so and so (the deceased).

They probably feel that by eulogizing the deceased would be creature worship??? That's why they give mere stats? That's sad Candi about your grandpa.

All a pretense; using the occassion to give a "witness".

Juni

• choosing life
    choosing life

Jw funeral talks are a lot like the religion. They have no soul and offer no true comfort. They are just a recruiting tool. I have been to many a funeral that moved me and helped me to grieve, but the jw ones just make me feel hollow.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

*shaking my head in sadness and disbelief*

Baba.

• penny2
    penny2
    it's shameful for someone to live over 90 years and get only his "statistics" read at his service.

Particularly as this person lived through 90 birthdays, perhaps none of which were celebrated, because the day of ones death is supposed to be better than the day of ones birth (that's one of the reasons my family gives for not celebrating birthdays). And then the funeral is just another meeting? Not good enough!!

penny2

• zensim
    zensim

Even when a die hard witness I used to think the funeral talks were pathetic and sad. I could never understand why they didn't talk more about the person. I thought it was just the 'quirk' of the bro giving the talk. Of course I should have realised there was an outline for this too. That is just too cold hearted for me.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I once remember a District Overseer giving a funeral speech. It was the most personal speech I´ve ever heard in a witness funeral. He did depart from the outline. It was personal and close. Her missionary son and daugher-in-law was not able to attend, so a touching poem from them was read.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Yeah... I've been to three JW funerals in the last 10 years - or so... they were all the same (even tho the fella giving the talk was not the same) - and follow this 'outline' 100%.

Not only that - I noticed that the fella spent 30 minutes giving his 'talk' - and then repeated the same 30 minute drivel at the grave site. Sheesh!

I had the opportunity to attend my Aunt's funeral last year. She was 95 years old... and a Mormon. Their funeral was much different than a JW funeral. They actually just talked about the person - remembering things from when they were alive. I liked that funeral service much better.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit