Has anyone seen this research on 607 and the Watchtower?

by lurker 13 Replies latest jw friends

• jdough
  • lrkr
    lrkr

Lurker- one of us has to get a new name. I volunteer.

For some, the 607 thing is just a lot of incomprehesible numbers anyway. If it was dropped it would not be any big deal. For me though, when I read Randy Waters essay on Ray Franz researching the subject for the Aid book and being disappointed that there was little or no secular evidence to support 607- it was the start of the end for me.

Then I went and read the Aid book article on Chronology and it was obvious that Ray did what was stated in the essay- spent most of the type arguing against every line of evidence that the destruction of Jerusalem was in 586, and then cobbled together very little and very weak proof for 607. Then I took the Insight book and compared the Chronology article line by line and I saw that they eliminated most of his argumentation against the evidence for 586. The editing basically ignored the problem- something Ray could not do.

A lot of JW theology is based on 1914 (time of the end, appointment of FDS, worldwide preaching work, etc) If 607 is a forced doctrine then so is 1914... and it all fell apart for me after that.

• jeanV
    jeanV

Jeffro dealt extensively with the jehovahsjudgement site: http://jeffro77.wordpress.com/jehovahs-witnesses-and-1914/response-to-607-website/

• Terry
    Terry

The bible HAS NO chronology!

You may as well study the clouds for the shapes of animals as to search for comprehensible numbers of any sort in scripture.

Very decent, truthful, honest and sincere people have covered the same ground endlessly searching the scriptures for what is not contained therein: INFORMATION.

The bible does not contain data, information or reliable numbers.

Look at the landscape of commentators throughout the last thousand years and what do you find? They are all looking at the same bible and the same scriptures and using what is there to come up with hundreds and hundreds of divergent and contradictory conclusions.

Garbage in=Garbage out.

607 is unprovable and that is why it was so useful for propping up a nonsense doctrine of the Faithful and Discreet Slave.

When William Miller was wrong about Jesus' return in 1843/44 he apologized publicly. (He still thought it would happen, though.)

Oh that we had somebody in the Watchtower Society with as much humility!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit