Does anyone know about real estate (mom? dad?)

by Schism 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Schism
    Schism

Yeah, I won't ask my real life parents this, so I am turning to my JWD parents for help, lol.

I have just caught wind that a 2 week long class will be opening up on a nearby campus. Once the class is over, the students will then be able to take a state test and get a realtor's license. The course costs $700.

OK, so I need to get a job, otherwise we are going to starve to death. I have finally decided to overcome my fear of social situations and get back out there (had a job before, long story). Working is a necessary thing, and I need to step up to the plate Scared to death, BTW

I do believe that this job would be something I am interested in. But how does it work? What exactly do realtors do besides show houses? I thought they had to go to school for way longer than that. I am being told that there is a possibility for a decent income. I suppose that depends on certain things though.

Know an agent? Been one? Any advice?

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Everything differs State to State. Here an agent will get aprox. 3% of every sale which can add up. You will be assigned time in the office answering the phone, you'll get prospects that way. You will work under your Broker, they get a percentage too. There are many ways to work at getting customers.

I studied to take the test here in Cali before the law went into effect that made agents have to take college classes before they took the test. That was maybe 20 years ago I'm sure there have been changes. I took classes with Century 21 and kinda crammed for the test. I didn't pass it but that's ok, we have to try different things.

Now you will probably not make money right away. It takes time to get your first sale for one thing, there is competition. Then you don't get money until the deal closes which can take 1-3 months. The agent works to find buyers and sellers, make the sale smooth, emotionally, professionaly. You will work with loan agents, estimators, Title companies, buyers and sellers.

I hope you find something soon. You can work on Real Estate and another job too until you have a steady income. I never tried to take the test again, I did get commisions on Time Shares when I lived on Maui and that was sweet.

Good Luck~Kate

edited to say; {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}} don't be afraid. Experience life and have fun doing it. Don't let anyone get you down.

• Schism
    Schism

Thank you so much kate (((((hugs)))))

Very helpful post!

I will try not to let anything get to me like it used to. I used to be such a work-a-holic, independent girl. Then one thing happened after another and I became a socially anxious clam, to say the least, lol. I quit working and was so scared to get out there again, that I didn't care what the finances looked like. One day I tried to go to work for a very nice guy I've been knowing all my life. It was only part-time. I started crying on the way there and never did go in for my first day! I was so embarrassed for being such a drama queen, but I didn't have any control over myself that day, lol.

So here I am now, in desperate need of money to pay bills, and I don't know where to start. I don't wanna be a grown-up anymore!!!

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Schism, It doesn't take too long to get a license. My son got his and here in tx. I'm thinking 10% is what you get. My son's wife also works for a real estate. If you want to know anything paticular let me no and I can check with them.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

What do you want to do in real estate? Do you merely want to help people find homes and sell them? Do you want to hold properties for investment as in rental units? Or are you just trying to make money? If its for the last two, save your money. I have a good e-book on real estate you may want to check out before droping $700 to get a license you may not need. p.m me if you want it I am not at home to send it to or post.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Schism, I am an agent and you can PM and we can go from there. My wife and I usually sell about 12-14 million a year and I can give you some real good suggestions if you like.

abr

• restrangled
    restrangled

Schism...

Here in Florida, one of my good friends passed her Real Estate Exam, and joined Remax. She has been dragging people around for 6 months, and not made one penny. Lots of wannabe buyers who can't qualify at the last minute. We are still in a hot realestate market but there are too many agents per person...much like the personal injury attorneys. Just this week she went back to being a legal secretary.

So I guess it depends on where you are at, the immediate market and the saturation level of agents in your area.

You might want to consider becoming a realestate appraiser. (I've heard thats pretty wide open)

Good luck and best wishes for your success.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit