Their citizenship was in heaven

by Rooster 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rooster
    Rooster
    *** sj p. 7 Our View of the Future ***
    Separate
    FromtheWorld

As one might expect, this view of the future also had a significant effect on the first Christians. It caused them to be a distinctive people, separate from the world. As historian E. G. Hardy noted in his book ChristianityandtheRomanGovernment:"The Christians were strangers and pilgrims in the world around them; their citizenship was in heaven; the kingdom to which they looked was not of this world. The consequent want of interest in public affairs came thus from the outset to be a noticeable feature in Christianity."
    Jesus made it clear that their separateness would be an outstanding characteristic of his disciples. "They are no part of the world," he said. (John 17:16; 15:19) In keeping with this principle, Jehovah’s Witnesses try to be "no part of the world." That does not mean, of course, that we advocate becoming hermits, shutting ourselves off from the world. We are sincerely interested in the welfare of others in the community and in the schools. Our young ones want to contribute to class activities in a helpful way.
    At the same time, however, we believe the Bible makes it clear that "the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one." (1 John 5:19; John 12:31; 2 Corinthians 4:4) As a result, we are concerned about the adverse effect that the world’s influence can have on our children. Often the world glamorizes life-styles that we believe to be unwholesome. And the schools are affected. So, to the extent possible, Jehovah’s Witnesses want their children to avoid such harmful influences.

So exactly when did Jesus say this hope would expire? 1935?

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Interesting post, Rooster. Oddly enough, I was discussing this just the other day with someone, and I came across some interesting figures which the WTS has manipulated, rather than presented, to their R&F. In order to restrict the number of those whose "citizenship was in the heavens" to the simple round figure of 144,000 this is what the WTS tells us:

1 33AD : No of Christians: 8,000 [arrived at by adding Ac 2:41 and Ac 4:4] - WT 1st Sept 1981 pg 9

2 95AD : No of Christians: 40,000 [martyrs] - WT 1st Sept 1951 pg 518

3 1935 AD: No of Christians: 52,465 [memorial partakers] Proclaimers pg 717

Giving a figure of 100,465, thus leaving 43,535 to have existed down through the centuries. Simple. Neat. And whats more it fits comfortably into WT theology.

Also nonsense.

There are several things wrong or deliberately minimized so as to make these figures fit into a preconceived mould.

First, take 33AD: The WTS, by simply adding two texts together, has avoided telling us about the fact that Ac 2:47 says "The Lord was ADDING to their number day by day". Secondly, at AC 4:4, the text tells us that the 5000 that were baptized were men.[ The word used in that text is "aner" -men, as opposed to "gyne" -women] So, this begs the question: How many women were baptized? Dunno. But suppose I said that there were at least as many, ie 5000, how will the WTS be able to deny this? So in 33AD this is what the figures would really look like:

Act 2:41: 3000, + 2:47 many more added + 5000 men + 5000 women [ The figures in red missed out by the WTS] Rather than the paltry 8k mentioned by the WTS, if I know the Holy Spirit and what He can do, the figure would be at least 20k converts by the first year of the Church

Now take 95AD: The WTS admits that the no of martyred Christians was 40k. The problem for the WTS, and one they have neatly circumvented, is that this is only part of the picture. Because how many were not martyred? If to be perfectly reasonable they numbered 60% of the total, then this would indicate that the total number was nearer 70,000.

But even this is paltry. Because it means that in the period 33-95 AD the Holy Spirit only made 50,000 converts, or just on 800 a year. Taking into consideration that the Christian churches had spread to all parts of the Empire by 95AD, this figure of 800 converts a year seems small by comparison. More likely something in the region of 8,000 a year.

Then, according to the WTS, between 110Ad to 1935 there was a global Great Apostasy, where the "True Christian" church all but vanished.[ All unproven of course] This of course gives them a rational explanation for why they appeared so suddenly, like a pimple on the collective arse of humanity.

Now take 1935. This is the arbitrary date from which the WTS has started counting down the number of the anointed. But why then? How many associated at the time of Russell? His meetings drew in thousands, around the world, in fact it was a constant boast, the number attending, and his subscription list was that much, at least. In fact his books were printed and distributed in the millions. Where did these ones all go? Into a convenient black hole, it looks like.

Figures don't lie. And the blood of the martyrs who died in the second and third centuries, some 861,000 estimated in 284 AD alone, demonstates, in mute testimony, the bankruptcy of WTS beliefs. To arrogantly dismiss these uncompromizing ones as "apostates" is to display an insensitivity that reveals the truly monstrous character of the WTS leadership.

Cheers

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Rooster and Moggy, excellent information. I agree with your posts. As I started reading the Bible on my own, the same things came to me with new ones being added. Paul in his preaching it said whole towns became believers. The whole 144,000 doesn't make sense and I believe that none of us can completely figure this whole thing out and we will have to wait until Jah reveals his whole plan but Romans 11:33 states how unsearchable his ways are and we just cant figure it out.

I have not believed for a long time in only 144,000 going to heaven, the numbers do not match up and as the Bible says our citenship lies in heaven. Again another thing the witness became dogmatic on and now can not back down on as their beliefs would crumble in the eyes of the flock. Again the Bible does not teach two classes

Stay the course just like Bush, even when you know you are wrong. Who are you trying to convince at this point. You or others?

abr

• carla
    carla

Do jw's recognize Fox's Book of Marytr's?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit