Comments and Questions for pdf creators

by Lady Lee 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I hasve a couple of questions and some comments about things I have noticed.

If you have found the same problem at least I'll know it isn't my computer.

When I open some of the pdf files I have found on the internet they look good. Well the cover page looks good. But if I go further into the book it all begins to look greek to me. I'm not kidding. It looks Greek. The font changes. Now this confuses me.

• If the text looks OK in the beginning then why would it change?
    • If the original file was a text document then wouldn't my computer be able to read it even if I didn't have the same font?
    • Is it possible that there is a bug in whatever program is used to create the file, especially if they are not using Acrobat? - I use PrimoPDF and have noticed a couple of times that the program will create the first 2 pages and then nothing else. Rebooting the computer allows me to recreate the file and have it include all the pages
    • Here is a file that is almost all Greek to me http://www.reexamine.info/pre1920/1898_bible_vs_evolution.pdf Can someone check it to see if it does the same for them please. In this case it seems to be only a couple fo pages in the beginning of the book.
    • One other thing I have noticed is that it looks good when it isn't at 100% but as you move up to 100% the more garbled it gets.

Another issue that has come to my attention is the Millenial Dawn/Studies in the Scriptures sets by Russell. I have downloaded a few copies of these books. Mostly they are labeled as Studies. What I am looking for is the set called Millennial Dawn. I found one copy but when I opened it it was another Studies set. So . . .

• Does anyone have a link to a set that really is Millenial Dawn?
    • Is there anywhere that actually compares the 2 sets. This has gotten my interest because Russell himself who was the author of both sets was telling colporteurs to manipulate people into buying the Studies books even if he knew they already had the Millenial Dawn books.

There is a pdf file called The Curse of Death. I have found a few copies of this and when you open the file the real title is the Cause of Death a 1932 booklet.

Another thing I have come across is that when a book has been rereleased by the WTS (example: Make Sure of all Things) there are two different file names with the different years. But once opened the dates on both files are the first book.

A few times I have looked at a page of downloads and seen the same title with two different years. Sometimes it is a revised version but sometimes it is a book and a booklet/brochure/tract. It pays to check.

Speaking of booklets, brochures and tracts. What exactly is the difference? I expect number of pages is one clue but is there some specific thing that makes the difference?

And now speaking of size sometimes it pays to get two pdf files of the same book. A pdf scanned copy and a pdf text copy. The sizes will be different but if you want to know what the original book said (minus those sneaky edits) it is good to have the scanned copy. I have found those files tend to be much larger that the text-pdfs

I might have more comments or questions later.

I have found that Maria Russell wrote two books:

This Gospel of the Kingdom and The Twain One

I will be pulling some interesting quotes from the second book.

THE TWAIN ONE:

A BIBLE STUDY OF A VITAL SUBJECT.

THIS GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM:

A CUP OF COLD WATER FOR A THIRSTY SOUL.

BY

MARIA FRANCES RUSSELL

Copyrighted 1906 BY MARIA FRANCES RUSSELL

To The valued Christian Friends whose faith and courage have been a bulwark of strength, this volume is dedicated.

PREFACE.

If any apology is needed for the publication of this small work, it is the very general misconception of the teaching of the Word of God as to the social standing of one half of the human race, involving also, to a very large degree, the best interests of the other half. For so united are the interests of the twain that God made one, that if one suffers injustice and oppression the other will suffer also, either directly or indirectly. If the wives and mothers are enslaved and degraded, the husbands and sons will miss the tender ministries of that refinement and culture which can never flourish in any other atmosphere than that of the freedom and happiness which God designed, and posterity must inevitably feel the blight.

It looks very interesting

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I have a comment, I HATE pdf files lol

I tried for two hours this morning to just highlight and paste a pdf document and couldnt do it. And yes, it looked greek lol. Finally got it to paste into Word, but then i couldnt copy that and past it here! Sheeese. Never did figure it out, and ended up with a screenshot of it!

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

i read that pdf using http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php and it read without problems.

If you use adobe (which is over bloated) download the latest version and make sure it gets updated: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Also I recall a setting that I adjusted in adobe pdf reader that fixed that specific problem. I just don't remember. sorry. Plus, I use foxit now. Much quicker.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Buttlight

try copying it into WordPad. I now have a WORDPAD rtf document to specifically copy and paste info from WORD to the forum

Create the file in WORD. Copy and paste to WORDPAD. Save and then copy to the forum. It seems to be working . . . so far

WAC I'm checking it out - thanks

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    When I open some of the pdf files I have found on the internet they look good. Well the cover page looks good. But if I go further into the book it all begins to look greek to me. I'm not kidding. It looks Greek. The font changes. Now this confuses me.

This happens to me....it's due to some very aggressive fonts installed by the WT-CDROM 2005 release, and I haven't figured out how to turn these fonts off for reading PDF files. I'd hate to uninstall the 2005 WT Library, but it is very annoying even though those fonts are quite useful for Word. I think there is also a difference between opening the documents in Adobe Acrobat 5.0 versus Acrobat 7.0.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Lady Lee....Here is an example of what I am talking about:

Is this what happens to you? As you can see, the occurence of non-Greek paleo-Hebrew characters from YHWH shows that the source of this font is the WT-CD ROM. In fact, this annoying problem (which turns PDF files into gibberish) did not start until after I installed the 2005 version of the Library.

And just like you say, the document looks fine until you change the page and suddenly the fonts get converted like this.

I'm sure it is a bug in the WT-CD ROM that interferes with other applications, but I would seriously doubt the Society would issue a patch to fix it.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thanks Leo That is exactly what I get. And last week I installed the 2005 CD to see what was on it.

well I got what I needed for now so I will uninstall it and see if it solves the problem

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Just thinking out loud for a moment, but it could be that the pdf and/or CD is using a font that is not installed on your computer. If so, and the default font is not set (say to Courier or Times New Roman) then the default could be set to something gibberish such as Symbols or WP Greek (and so on).

Or not.

Chris

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thanks, Chris! I just noticed that Adobe 7.0 has an option "Use Local Fonts". When I uncheck it, the weird WT CD-ROM font disappears and it goes back to how it's supposed to be. :)

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

Well sir if ya want to paste into this forum from a word or PDF doc then try to paste it into notepad first. I think notepad will strip out any weird foramtting characters

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit