Ever seen a whole family quit after disfellowshipping a member?

by lighthouse19something 7 Replies latest jw friends

• lighthouse19something
  • averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

No, but I know someone that was disfellowshipped and he died of heart attack and his JW family asked one of the elders to give a funeral talk and he declined, then the whole JW family(wife, grown son, grown daughter) suddenly stopped going to the meetings.

• lighthouse19something
    lighthouse19something

I don't blame them, that's really pathetic

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I know a guy that was d/f and the elders disciplined the 60yo father for talking to him. That shook the parents up and they stopped going to meetings over it. Since then they started to research the organization and now have no intention of going back. The sad thing is that the son recently was reinstated and goes to meetings, though mostly so that he could talk to JW friends and family.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

That's an interesting question; when I was d'f'ed at 15, I guess I thought my family would just follow me out. I know I did not believe they would actually shun me - while I was still living at home, even! I certainly did not believe shunning would continue for the rest of my life.

Anyway, no, I've never heard of that scenario where a whole family followed a d'f'ed one out, though I wish it would happen a lot. I think when witnesses "lose a loved one to worldly influences," they tend to view it as a test of their faith and endurance and they're really afraid of losing out on "everlasting life,' so they really stick to their guns on the shunning business. Plus, there's all the rest - personal and business relationships with other jws, face-saving in the community, inability to admit to being @h*les, etc.

It's just too bad for them all. Not only am I dead to my JW family; they are (finally) dead to me. I've completely lost interest in ever getting them out or having a relationship with them because of all the damage to me over the years - lost childhood, lost family, abandonment. What could they offer me at this late date, and what would I care to offer them? My back to them in coldness, at this moment in time. That's all. Maybe I'll change my mind about that one day, but I feel no sorrow in saying that now.

• zensim
    zensim

Madame Q: did they shun you whilst you still lived at home? At 15? How the hell do they do that?

Boy, I really came from a liberal cong, although my family were quite strict. I thought I had a 'good' attitude to the Witnesses since leaving, not really seeing them as that bad. But being on this forum has just opened up a whole other world to me - I didn't realise that many Witlesses were so extreme. Shame on me.

• troucul
    troucul

yeah, mine

• belbab
    belbab

Back around the late seventies or early eighties, I help a former elder see the real truth about the JWs. He was married with ten kids, eleven, with the last one adopted. He was a very popular friendly helpful brother in the congregation. He had a brother who was a district servant serving in Canadian bethel. He wrote his brother a letter and questioned the teachings of the Society. His brother blew the whistle on him and he was disfellowshipped. His whole family and a few others went out with him. That was a big loss for that congregation.

belbab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit