Petition To Make Refusal of Blood on Religious Grounds Illegal

by Kenneson 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

In Montreal, Canada in late Dec. Jean-Claude Lavoie refused a blood transfusion and died. His decision has split his family apart--the father respecting his son's decision. His brother, Jonathan, a former Jehovah's Witness has since launched an internet campaign calling on the government to make it illegal for a person to refuse blood transfusions on religious grounds. So far, 1,000 have signed his petition.

See "Witness's refusal of transfusion costs his life"

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/montreal/story.html?id=e2a8aa3e-af52-4381-9d4c-c3fb7d0fe922&k=15147

• zeroday
    zeroday
    launched an internet campaign calling on the government to make it illegal for a person to refuse blood transfusions on religious grounds.

You are crossing a very dangerous line my friend. What's next. Making it illegal to freely speak on religious grounds, making it illegal to publish on religious grounds. Canada in fact did ban JW's during WW2. Take away their rights no matter what and you take away your own rights. Think about it. We may disagree about the blood issue but as adults we have the right to decide.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well in life and death circumstances refusing blood is like suicide, sure the reasons are different, but the outome is still the same. I would sign that petition, but I dont live in Canada.

• free2beme
    free2beme

As much as it sucks to have someone die for their religious stand, it is there right to do and I think having an emotional petition brought up after is not respecting the wishes of the people we love. A child, that is a whole different story. An adult has a right to faith and conviction, no matter how out there it might seem to another, it is there right. The idea that our ways are right and all other religions are whack job crack pots that do not know as much as us, is the root cause to why Muslims and Christians do not get a lone. This is no different, let people have the rights to religious freedoms for good and bad. As long as it does not harm another!

• zeroday
    zeroday
    I would sign that petition, but I dont live in Canada.

My dear fellow Tennessean. And if someone petitioned to deny you your rights in anyway how would you react. We may not like someone refusing blood on religious grounds but to deny them that right I repete denys you your rights also. Our freedom is riding on a precious thin line. We may be quick to deny others their rights because we don't agree with them but we do not recognize the consequences on our own at the same time. If you pass this where does it stop. It does not. You may get your way but be assured someone will be gunning for your rights some where down the line.

• Carmel
    Carmel

It's too bad refusal of blood isn 't an inheritable trait. If it were, it would be self limiting. Come to think of it, joining a cult should be genetic too! carmel

• zeroday
    zeroday
    It's too bad refusal of blood isn 't an inheritable trait. If it were, it would be self limiting. Come to think of it, joining a cult should be genetic too! carmel

Self limiting fine. But when society trys to deny rights to somuch as the smallest of us all we deny ourselfs our own rights. It's easy to get on top of a soap box and cry out "OH CANADA" or "GOD BLESS AMERICA". But to deny the rights of those we do not agree with we hit the trip wire of freedom and it tumbles down from there. Love or hate the WTS one thing you can not deny they have perserved rights for millions of Americans by staying the hand of opression. Opress the ones we do not agree with and you opress all. Hitler and Stalin proved that.

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's true that it is a bit like suicide. But, i think that adults should have the right to that kind of thing, if they really want it.

S

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Where does it say in the constitution that we have a right to death? And as for a previous comment earlier refusing blood does harm others, especially children who are left orphaned. If religious rights are so important, then why cant anyone claim a religious right to anything. Mormons practiced polygamy for years until it was outlawed by the government, their religious rights were violated, what makes their belief in plural marriage any less important than a JW's belief in no blood?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Junction guy

Sure, it can hurt the survivers. But, where does the constitution deny people the right to death, or the right to end a marriage, or the right to the medical tratment that they want (and can afford)? Divorces hurt people too.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit