SKYPE - ANYONE

by stillajwexelder 23 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am sure there has been a thread about this but I downloaded SKYPE - (FREE) and I have a webcam and a microphone so I can call friends and family in Europe who also have SKYPE and I can talk and see them free of charge - really cool. Anyone of you guys got SKYPE?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Yup. It's the only way I can afford transatlantic calls to my friends over there, as the call rate is really cheap. It's even better if they also have Skype, as it's then free!!!

The Video can sometimes be a little dodgy, but the sound is generally VERY good.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

so in the highlands - can you get true broadband - or is it BT ASDSL or something similar - I have a true cable MODEM - so pretty fast

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I've got it but I found the voice delay was too irritating when calling land lines or cell phones. The idea is brilliant but I wish there was an answer for that short delay.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

I have the a subscription and the USB phone. It works very nice, and you can't beat 2 cents a minute for transatlantic! For a while, last year, calls within the US were free!

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I've used Skype quite a bit, it's great for confrence calls and stuff like that, however calling within Canada and the US is no longer (as of Jan. 1) free from Skype to landline so I just use my home phone where I have unlimited within North America and that works just fine. I do use Skype though to call Europe and Asia those few times that I've needed to, their rates are great for overseas!

Kwin

• free2beme
    free2beme

Where can you get this at?

• ringo5
    ringo5

Funny, I just downloaded it last night, and so far I'm impressed with the sound quality. I'm trying to manage with just a cell phone so this should help offset those costs. They had a deal to call any land line in North America for one year for $15 (US). Now would like a good cordless headset....

• free2beme
    free2beme

Oh, is this as VOIP product like Vonage or something?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Free3beme:Aye, it's VoIP: http://www.skype.com/

Stilla:My broadband conneciton is 8Mb download, 512Kb upload. It works very well indeed. Not bad for a wee Scottish island, methinks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit