hauntingly beautiful

by tijkmo 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

the bbc in the uk is showing a series that documents the rise of l.a.music in the early 70s...esp crosby stills nash young taylor browne eagles etc...and one prog was about david geffens record label asylum and the troubadour cafe..and another had a song performed by judee sill who i had never heard of but who was the first artist geffen signed..and no wonder on this performance

the song is called the kiss..and it is just so hauntingly beautiful

you can hear it here http://members.aol.com/televisionwriter/jsl25_the_kiss.mp3

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

tijkmo,

Wonderful. What a unique soul Judee Sills was. I met her very briefly in London in the mid/late 70's I believe, just after Armageddon, when she appeared on The Old Grey Whistle test.

Geffen is quite an iconoclast in the business. A manager who actually enjoyed the music. He only signed what he liked, and he got the best. Laura Nyro, Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne ( I think Jackson was the first artist that he signed, as he created Asylum specifically to snag him ).

It is such a shame that so many of the innovators, like Judee Sill have been buried under an avalanche of copyists. Joni Mitchell made a comment of this recently when she fumed at the state of modern music and said :

"I saw one girl, a 14-year-old with a brand new bosom, and she shoved it at the camera and said 'I want to get my music to the world' and I thought, there is no muse in this…These are not creative people, these are created people."

Thank you for reminding us of an innovator.

HS

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    "I saw one girl, a 14-year-old with a brand new bosom, and she shoved it at the camera and said 'I want to get my music to the world' and I thought, there is no muse in this…These are not creative people, these are created people."

I, definitely, agree with you about this. It's sad. There are so many older people with beautiful voices, but the music industry is not concerned with just the voice. They are concerned more about age and beauty. The industry can use all kinds of technology to make a person's voice sound better. Remember Milli Vanilli! Tsk! Tsk! That debacle caused one of the young men to commit suicide.

I love to hear live vocalist (no lip synching) with a real band. It gives me goose bumps.

"Video did kill the radio star".

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

tijkmo,

I hope this does not act as thread hijack, but I am sure that you will enjoy these two clips.

1) Laura Nyro, without exaggeration one of the most gifted and underrated singer/songwriters ever, c1968. "Save The Country'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjdowef1oKE

2) Two of my favorite musicians - Richard Thompson sings 'Woodstock' to Joni Mitchell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmk0C2Jzs_w

HS

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

:)

I love the exposure to good music and artists I get from this discussion board.

purps

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

thanx hilary..they were def worth a listen..

interesting point about todays artists having to look the part...there is no doubt that these 70s guys and gals had to have the music cos lets face it they were no oil paintings..

gives me hope lol

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yes, that's a lovely song.

I was unfamiliar with the name so I did a search and discovered that sadly, she died too young:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judee_Sill

• wiegel
    wiegel

What a rush from the laura nyro video. she has been my favorite signer/songwriter since i first saw her in 1969 or 70 in los angeles at the Dorothy Chandler Theatre. She wore a long red dress and was barefoot. I only saw her 2 more times, but collected all her albums,and was devastated when I heard she had died. This clip was such an unexpected treat, I need to explore youtube some more! Thanks for the "trip"!

Trudy ;-)

• wiegel
    wiegel

oops forgot this part:
    tijkmo, Thank you for introducing me to Judee Sill - I just did a little browsing and landed on this site where you can hear a few more of hers. You just need to download their little player plugin, but it's fast. Can't believe I had never heard of her, but if you take a toke and listen to her, whoooooooaaaaaaaaa!

Trudy

• zagor
    zagor

tijkmo,
    Thanks of that. That was beautiful, didn't know we've got almost identical tastes in music

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit