First Piano Lesson Tomorrow!! Need a littel advice.

by BlackPearl 28 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings again, PB!

Thanx for the update. I've found that adult students [you are an adult, aren't you?] are the more likely to succeed for reasons already obvious to you. I know nothing per downloading questions you've asked, but I would recommend a classical radio station in your area, if such is available. Music appreciation - in the classics - is truly the basis for what you are currently set out to do. If you have any doubt of its long range benefit [for me, nearly 50 years, ears attuned to the radio], please see Minimus' thread on How Often Do You Come to JWD?..... and look for the Dear Diary posts. All the other music that you listen to IS very important to the overall musical tableau that forms your musical experience; however, I needn't elaborate further on the classics because, surely, you're aware of their all-important position.

CoCo

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

My kids take piano and they practice 30 min everyday. Their teacher wants them to practice for 45 minutes.

Music is like learning a new language. The more you immerse yourself in it the better you will be at it. With music its all about the practice. Practice really does make perfect.

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Reporting in for an update on my Piano lessons. Geez! I didn't know my fingers had a mind of their own. It takes a very concentrated, slow, well thought out, deliberate effort to control your fingers, I had no idea. I'm getting better at this. I'm starting to learn the notes and reading them without accompanying letters to cheat by. This is really a challenge, but I'm absolutely loving it. This is completely challenging my to my mind and i love it. To think, it's like learning a new lanquage! What a beautiful thing! Wish I wold have done it years ago. Every new note is like a new door opened. It may not mean much now, but it will mean a lot later as I put all of these notes together. I wish there was a way I record my progress and post it.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings Black Pearl,

I was actually wondering about you and you musical progress earlier in the day. Thank you for the update. For your [and our] benefit, keep a journal as to what you practice each day and any detail you care to record. Impressions, biographical notes on the composers, development and improvement in technique, etc. Performance of a musical piece is a composite of elements: the mind, heart and digital response to the keyboard. It might be good also to tape-record some of your sessions. From month to month you will observe marked signs of improvement in your control: an evenness of touch, the steadying of tempo, a confidence that is discernible in your manner of execution [I don't mean murdering the music]. You must record your playing, however, to hear subtle improvements, comparing earlier to later sessions. Of course, this is optional; if you want to report back to us, though, you will have something tangible to work with. I realize you are only at the beginning of your musical experience, but it is good to have a plan. I'm sure you do.
    Continued success!

CoCo

• mavie
    mavie
    My wife got me a Yamaha Keyboard for Christmas

Dude, you are soooo busted you pagan! I'm pulling your 'Frosty' down next time I visit!

• Farkel
    Farkel

I appreciate all the comments made by the good folks who want to help you in your new path to music.

That being said, I want to trump them all. I am a very accomplished pianist, having, AHEM, fifty years of hard practice and god-given talent and love for my favorite hobby. Many here have heard my music. Most like it. Wannabes critique it. But wannabes don't offer anything other than their words and criticism. Those who cannot do it, bitch about those who can do it.

I play Mozart (the Dm concerto and a handfull of Sonatas and his Cm Fantasia), Beethoven (Sonatas [Pathetique, Appassionata, Waldstein, Moonlight] and the #3 Concerto, the Choral Fantasia and yeah, Fur Elise, and many more), Rachmaninoff (Preludes and the Fantasy on a Theme by Paganinni), Brahms (Rhapsodies and more), Liszt (Liebestraum, unSuspiro Etude in D flat major), Schumann (Arabesque, Traumerei), Chopin (several Etudes including the Cm Revolutionary, the Fantasy Impromptu, Waltzes and Preludes), Bach (three Preludes and Fugues [Cm, Gm, B flat M], all the trivial 2 and 3 part Inventions, and the French Suites, Partitas and most of the Chorales), Ravel (Pavanne), Debussy (many things including Claire de Lune, The Engulfed Cathedral and most of the Children's Corner), over a dozen of Dave Brubeck's stuff, and lots of other popular fun stuff like the Peanuts Linus and Lucy Song to name just a smidgeon of what I have learned and played over the years.

Here is my humble advice for an adult who wants to learn piano: YOU HAVE A MAJOR ADVANTANGE OVER THE KIDDIES! You have the motivation and you don't have the distractions that kids who are forced to learn an instrument when they don't care to do so.

Ask your teacher if he/she teaches solfege. If not, find another teacher. Solfege is nothing more than do, re, mi, fa, sol, etc. but it teaches you to sing the notes of the scale. Even if you cannot sing on pitch, you will have a great head start on those who do not learn it. Trust me on this. If you can even come close to singing something you can come much closer to playing it. I can not sing 3 notes in pitch to save my life, but after trying to sing them, I can hear what they should be in my head, and I can play them.

Another piece of advice: if your teacher uses progressive music books like the kind that starts you with music book "A' and you graduate to book "B" and so forth, the teacher needs to be fired. I went through that garbage and didn't learn a thing about music. I wasted three years of my life on that crap and didn't learn a thing. Same thing is true with scales and the "Hannon" books. Waste of time. Also, don't bother with the "Czerny Etudes" . Czerny was a brilliant pianist who premiered several of Beethovan's Sonatas and Concertos when Beethoven was deaf. He was a brilliant pianist, but he was a pathetic composer. Better to learn Bach's 2 or 3 part Inventions which happen to be REAL music and which you can play for your own pleasure and for the pleasure of others or as you progresss, Chopin's Etudes (exercises) which are also REAL music than to be bothered with meaningless Hannon scales and Czerny exercises. Trust me. I know what I am talking about. There is great music that will teach you technique and will still be great music that you can play and people will enjoy. You cannot play Hannon or Czerny to an audience. That crap is not music.

I've rambled long enough. Actually, I have much more to say on the subject, but I've said enough for now. Just to give you an idea about the dedication required, I will tell you how long I have worked on the Rachmaninoff "Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini": over two years! I'm 90% done to my satisfaction. More talented people could have tackled it in say, 5 months, and I'm talented. There you go. Making good music is hard work.

Nothing worthwhile is easy, but something worthwhile is worth all the time it takes to achieve it.

If you would like to hear some of what I can play, PM me and I'll be happy to send you a CD containing a sampling of my work.

Cheers,

Farkel

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Ahhh, yes, Frostie. Poor guy gets his ass kicked, for what? Being a nice warm, welcoming sort of chap?

• Cellist
    Cellist

I learnt to play as an adult, too. It's been alot of fun. Hard work, but fun.

Cellist

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Farkel! And everyone who responded, my lessons are working! I'm now learning Burt Bacharach's "What the world needs now", I love it! I want to share with all of you, but how? I NEED a Baby Grand! Man o man, would I love to have a Baby Grand Piano. This is getting bad, I NEED one.

http://yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D207%252526CTID%25253D200500%252526CNTYP%25253DPRODUCT,00.html

BP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit