defining JW beliefs

by gcc2k 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gcc2k
    gcc2k

I managed to pick a therapist who knows nothing about JWs - lucky me.
    I sent him the following summary. Would you say it's fair/objective and accurate?

This summary is from my perspective, but there are places where I may express an opinion. I will mark these with an (O).

Jehovah's Witnesses (henceforth abbreviated as JW) are a Christian based religion (relatively).
    Some important things which are unique about this religion, and how they impact members:

- Unlike other religions, you cannot pick and choose what you believe. Your religion impacts every aspect of your life.
    - They believe that sooner or later, the world will be made anew (Armageddon). Those who are good JWs will survive, everyone else will pretty much be destroyed.
    This impacts their lives in several ways:
    - all their friends are JWs.
    - they generally marry only other JWs
    - they are encouraged to pursue their ministry, instead of higher education

- They believe theirs is the only true religion - there is no such thing as interfaith.
    - They go door to door (obviously) trying to warn people about the coming destruction, so they can convert.
    - They reject blood transfusions - a JW who willingly accepts one will be subject to discipline and most likely reproved (more on this later).
    - They do not celebrate any holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year's) or birthdays.
    - They don't salute the flag, vote, or stand for the National Anthem.

- There are not various levels of faith, as in other religions. If you're Catholic, you can go to church, confession, communion, if you want. Or , you can skip all that for a month.
    JWs are either active (normal members), inactive (did nothing wrong but not attending services), or one of two reproved states - disfellowshipped for doing something bad, like adultery, or disassociated, where the person has told them to take a hike. There is no way to be a conscientious objector, agreeing with some doctrines, but not others. Expressing an opinion that you do not believe something, especially to other JWs, will result in an inquiry, and discipline, if they are not able to "readjust" your thinking on the matter.
    Members in a disfellowshipped or disassociated state lose ALL their JW friends, who are not allowed to even greet them if they pass in the street, and even family members are urged to keep interactions with such a person to only important family matters.
    (O) This practice creates a strong pressure on members to conform, to stay "in", because leaving means the loss of your entire social circle.

For some additional info, the wikipedia entry is fairly accurate, but I cannot vouch for everything there.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses

Also, the official Watchtower site:
    http://www.watchtower.org

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

If I had "Cult" issues, I'd choose a Therapist who had experience in this area.

• Mystla
    Mystla

You forgot the 5 meetings a week, which are manditory if you want to remain in good standing with the congregation and God.

How else could they pound that drivel into our brains?

Misty

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I went to a therapist that knew nothing about JWs which did not matter as I still found almost instant relief. He was a cognitive behavioural therapist, which is partly covered by medicare in Australia. I let him look at my site jwfacts.com for an idea of what they teach, particularly the home page summary. After the first session he knew exactly how warped my thinking as a JW was, and has since been very damning of the belief structure.

Two things are worth emphasising, as these are two of the most destructive aspects of being a JW. FEAR and GUILT.

Fear to leave, fear of destruction at Armageddon, fear of not pleasing God, fear of not doing enough, fear of the world and fear of being d/f and loosing all family and friends. And then perpetual guilt at breaking one of the long list of regulations.

Another thing to add to your summary is the term "worldly people". JWs should not associate with worldly people for fear of being tainted by them since they are on the side of Satan rather than Jehovah.

A simple statement you could start with that that you have covered in detail is that - the WTS claims to be the only ‘Truth’, God’s only visible Organization and the only means of salvation.

• Arthur
    Arthur

I am currently getting counseling from an exit-counselor. She has worked with people in cultic groups for 20 years, and has worked with many ex-JWs. So far, this has been working very well for me; in that she is able to present many insights that I would have not been able to reach on my own. One of the insights that she has helped me to see is that the Watchtowe Society fosters a "one way relationship" between the leadership and the rank and file. She has noticed how it is always okay for the leadership to have a fault-finding attitude toward it's members; but the members must never harbor a fault-finding attitude toward them.

Jwfacts is absolutely correct when he states that fear and guilt are the two main commodities of JWism. Fear and guilt is the stock-in-trade of this organization which enables a tiny group of men to control the thinking of millions like a powerful lever.

I would strongly suggest that you give your therapist a copy of "Combatting Cult Mind Control" by Steven Hassan. Hassan's book (I believe) describes the Watchtower organization to a tee; even though he never mentions them. Even though your therapist does not know much about JWs, he could have a much better idea as to how to develop a strategy for your recovery based upon Hassan's assessment of mind control.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    I managed to pick a therapist who knows nothing about JWs - lucky me.

So much for the efficiency of the preaching work after some 130 years of WTBTS existence. Especially if you don't really live in Bangladesh.

I sent him the following summary. Would you say it's fair/objective and accurate?

Yeah it struck me as remarkably fair and well-thought.

• gcc2k
    gcc2k

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'm not in Bangladesh :)
    My issues are mainly marital, but I suspect the religion piece plays a big part in all this.
    We'll see how it goes.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It might help to let your therapist know that the WTS/JWs are like one huge very dysfunctional family.

The power structure is top down. The little guy has no say but must follow all rules regardless how absurd or harmful (blood issue most people know about) Obedience is mandatory

Talking about the group/religion to outsiders is forbidden because a person must always present the JWs as "good". Their reputation always come first so JWs who have problems are generally not allowed to get counseling.

Leaving the group is forbidden and is penalized with shunning even from family members.

Suggesting the WTS`website will only give the therapist the white-washed propaganda.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit