How did you choose your avatar or board name?

by new boy 39 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

New Boy

It is what they call new guys at bethel. Its a way the guys, who have been there awile (like over a year) to put you down.................If you are a new boy you don't know how the Organization REALLY works.

One of my favorite new boy stories is about Lyman Swingle GB.

Lunch in the 124 lower dining room 1973. Lyman Swingle table head said to a new BLACK bethelite........"Boy would you pass me the potatos?".............the new guy said " I'm not your BOY!" to which he said not batting an eye.........."Nigger pass the potates!"

True story I was there..............I wonder if that guy is still in the Borg.

NB

• Do Not Call
    Do Not Call

Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but here if a householder tells the JWs never to call again they are then termed a "Do not call".

Dubs are then instructed before 'working' a street, "Don't knock number 666 as they're a Do not call."

As I don't wish to ever see them at my door again I felt it was an appropriate board name.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

A form of my actual name.

Jeff

• JH
    JH

I wanted something that stands out.

<-------------

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I had been lurking and something posted that I wanted to comment on. I had to come up with a board name and couldn't think of anything cute. I pulled out a Bible Stories book my daughter has and flipped through it. I saw Mene Mene Tekel Peres - writing on the wall. So I entered Mene Mene.

Then stillajwexelder responded with Mene Mene Tekel Parsin. I knew that sounded familiar but was not the term the book used & I didn't look it up in the Bible. I knew I had heard that before but thought Parsin came from Harry Potter. I was thinking of what they call the language the large snake spoke. It was something similar to Parsin and I don't have my HP books anymore so I couldn't look it up.

I just embarrassed myself it front of everybody and didn't know how to Edit to fix it. I'm not happy with it - sounds too much like Meanie - and I'm really not mean. Maybe I'll see if Simon will let me change it.

• tijkmo
  • tijkmo
    tijkmo

PARSIN

(Par´sin).

One of the words mysteriously written on the wall of Belshazzar’s palace and read and interpreted by Daniel. (Da 5:25) It is the plural number of "Peres," which means "a half shekel," a division of a shekel. In giving the interpretation, Daniel did not use the plural "Parsin," but used the singular form (Peres). (Da 5:28) Perhaps this was because only Belshazzar was present to hear the prophet explain the prophetic message, although it applied to both rulers of the Babylonian Empire, Belshazzar and Nabonidus.—See PERES.

no embarrassment neccesary
  • LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I chose my name for obvious reasons. Funny thing is, I'm not certain what the "Real" Truth is.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

what was the maximum I could get away without breaking board rules. My avatar of about 9 months ago was deleted - I think Lady Lee was the moderator who decided enough was enough

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Parsel tongue is the snake language spoken of in harry potter.

I chose my username to be something different from the type of names I normally choose in order to preserve my anonymity. The three numerics 437 were the last 3 digits of a student number I had been assigned back in middle school and thus easy to remember for me and long forgotten by everyone else. I have always been someone mysterious online, on numerous sites I was presumed to be male for a number of years until I became a moderator. I found people treated me differently and thus never corrected them. Similarly I was always also assumed to be older than I was and never corrected anyone. Thus mysterious437 was born and used for any forums of a religious or occult nature that I wished to keep hidden.

My first avatar was a googling of the term mysterious warrior maiden or something to that effect and featured a girl in a cape leaning on a sword in fantasy style. My current avatar is more of a reflection of the dark sort of persona mysterious has become, more congruent with my current life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit