Lessons Learned from Captain Jack Sparrow

by zagor 15 Replies latest jw friends

• zagor
    zagor

Jack Sparrow: [Imitating Elizabeth] "It must have been terrible for you, Jack. Must have been terrible." Well, it bloody is now.

Jack Sparrow: Of the two of us I am the only one who hasn't committed mutiny, therefore my word is the one we'll be trusting. Although, I suppose I should be thanking you because in fact, if you hadn't betrayed me and left me to die, I would have an equal share in that curse same as you.

Jack Sparrow: Elizabeth... it would never have worked between us darling. I'm sorry... Will... nice hat.

[Jack throws a bucket of water on sleeping Gibbs]
    Mr. Gibbs: Curse you for breathin' ya slack-jawed idiot. Mother's love. Jack. You should know better than to wake a man when he's sleepin'. Its bad luck.
    Jack Sparrow: Fortunately, I know how to counter it; the man who did the waking buys the man who was sleeping a drink; the man who was sleeping drinks it while listening to a proposition from the man who did the waking.
    Mr. Gibbs: Aye, that'll about do it.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Good lords, Man, I love this post!!!

And to look deeper, there is a lesson even with the REAL flesh and mind behind Captain Jack Sparrow... in the very creation of him!

Apparently, in the very beginning of filming, when Disney execs saw how over the top Johnny Depp was going with his portrayal of the Cap'n... they told him to pull back a bit. He, in response, told them that was the way he was going to play him... if they didn't like it they would have to get someone else. Fortunately, for them, they made the right decision.

Baba.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

This post was so funny. My DD loves the Pirates and I am giving her a copy of this-she has a strong sense of self worth and I encourage it. Perhaps that is why she enjoys the character so much. My six year old adores him too-but I think its because the captain has regular access to swords. . .he is big into swords.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey zagor,

i agree, capt jack sparrow is something else! that was a cool synopsis. and so true! lol!

This led me to question...what is it this seemingly drunken character inspires in viewers?

the only other thing i would add is that the character and the movie did as well as it did because it was Johnny Depp who played captain jack sparrow. and i think that depp understood what he had to do with that character from personal experience. i am skeptical of whether any other actor could have pulled it off so perfectly. and this is why the success of the movie did not surprise me at all. it was johnny depp, after all, who made it, imho.

peace,

tetra

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Depp = one of the greatest nonconventional actors EVER!!!

Great post. I just finished watching both movies in the last week, and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I am eagerly anticipating the next one.

• serendipity
    serendipity

HI Zagor, Thanks for posting this. I too wondered about the Captain's magnetism, beyond Depp's brown eyes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit