Question From Readers

by 5thGeneration 13 Replies latest jw friends

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

(Fictional) But I wish I had the guts to write this to them for real!

1. Why can my mother that has just been diagnosed for possible terminal cancer (true) accept blood fractions from whole blood donated from a worldly person at the Red Cross?

2. Is it then now a conscience matter to go ourselves to the Red Cross and give blood if we designate it for fraction use only?

P.S. I realize that this may all have been discussed before!

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

The blood policy just gets stupider and stupider. I don't know I suppose you can't trust those red cross people to follow your wishes ;0 or else you wouldnt want to stumble your brothers and sisters who might think that fractions are sinful. I'm sure they have some justification as you know.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Yes, I imagine legal justification!

• thebiggestlie
    thebiggestlie

I asked my CO this very question and he whipped out some story how the 1st century christians where allowed to eat food sacrificed to idols which is also a big no-no but they could only eat it if they didnt know for sure that it was part of idolatrous worship. It was kind of a “what you dont know wont hurt you” kind of deals. How this even remotely related to blood fractions is beyond me. That sort of reasoning IMHO is seriously in error.

• choosing life
    choosing life

That is probably the best question to ask a dub to make them think about the blood policy. Is is OK to donate blood? They, of course would say no. Then ask them why it is OK to accept fractions from donated blood. Makes no sense.

I am sorry about your mother. Glad to hear she is open to using fractions though..

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

This has already been asked. You find the Society's answer in Greg Stafford' Three Dissertations on p. 190. I have to leave now for work. Maybe someone else can provode the contents?

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Thanks cl!

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW
    Dear Brother Roche,

Your letter of July 13, 2001, now has our attention. You ask about the propriety of a Christian's donating blood for the purpose of having minor blood fractions extracted and used. In view of your health condition, you ask if family members or even you could donate blood for the purpose of extracting fractions that you personally could later use.

The Scriptures clearly show that it would be wrong for a dedicated Christian to donate whole blood for use by someone else either in a transfusion of whole blood in a transfusion of any of its primary components. (Acts 15:20) However, as you mention in your letter , "Question from Readers" in the June 15, 2000, issue of The Watchtower explains that some Christians have felt that they medical treatment with a fraction extracted from any of the primary components of blood. On the same basis, some have felt that under certain conditions they could allow some minor fractions of their blood to be extracted for treating a medical condition as long as there was no misuse of their blood otherwise. The use of the blood fraction is neither sanctioned or discouraged, but is a matter for personal decision. It is not prerogative of "the faithful and discreet slave" class to rule on each product or technique. (Matthew 23:4; 24:45-47) Rather, we believe that this is a load that each Christian must carry. (Galatians 6:5) However, it is our understanding in many situations that blood from many donors would be needed to get a sufficient amount of a required fraction for treatment. Thus, the blood of a single donor may not be very significant from a practical standpoint in the production of the desired fraction.

The Scriptures expain that under the Mosaic Law, the blood of an animal (or a human) should be poured out on the ground as water and be covered over. (Leviticus 17:13: Deuteronomy 12:15, 16, 24) This showed respect for the sanctity of blood. In effect, it was given back to Jehovah by pouring it out on the ground. But if blood is taken from a body and, before it is disposed of, itbroken down by a medical procedure and in the process a small fraction is extracted, could it be said that there is a clear violation of God's law regarding the sanctity of the blood? We cannot say. This must be a matter for each one to decide. If a Christian did allow a minor fraction to be extracted from some of his blood, it would be assumed that he would make sure that the remaining bulk of the blood was discarded, which would be following the precept set forth in the Scriptures regarding the disposition of blood. This would prevent the possibility of one's blood, or one or more of the four major components of it, being used otherwise by medical personnel for transfusion purposes. Therefore, a Christian would carefully evaluate this possibility in determining whether to submit to having a minor fraction extracted from his blood.

Please know that our hearts go out to you and your wife in view of your critical health situation. Surely, Paul's word at 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 are strengthening aid: "Therefore we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day. For though the tribulation is momentary and light, it works out for us a glory that is of more and more surpassing weight and is everlasting; while we keep our eyes, not on the things seen, but on the things unseen. For the things seen are temporary, but the things unseen are everlasting."

No doubt, though you are struggeling with this malady, your determination to be faithful to Jehovah is being renewed daily.

We pray that Jehovah will strengthen and help you in walking with his people on the roadway that leads to eternal life in his new world.

Your brothers in Jehovah's service,

Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses

Letter dated July 30, 2001; published in Greg Stafford, Three Dissertations on the Teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses, p. 190 f.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I typed this all in manually and nobody comments.

There were some things I found strange:

• They refer to themselves in third person as "'the faithful and discreet slave' class"
    • They have invented the "four major components of blood", repeat it and make it appear this distinction was made in the Bible
    • They acknowledge that it takes quite a big number of donors of whole blood to get fractions
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am sorry to hear about your mother

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit