How is it possible that JWs are permitted to be nurses etc?

by MinisterAmos 3 Replies latest watchtower medical

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

The first thing I can remember from my JW studies is having the (no) blood policy explained to me; the Brother liberally quoted from the OT and then from the NT when I complained that Mosaic Law did not apply to Christians. He also reminded me that "all scripture is beneficial" (forget which book that's from)

A quote that I must have heard a hundred times if I've heard it once is from Leviticus. It explains that "blood must be poured onto the ground" (destroyed) and never consumed. This is the rationale used to prevent JWs from "warehousing" their own blood in preparation of a surgery. Such an action would negate most of the risks that the WT always uses to frighten people into obeying their blood edict.

I've observed that Nurse is a fairly popular occupation amongst the JWs. There is an MS here who is an RN and works in an ER. Actually it's well-suited for them. Good hourly rate, not too much school required and a flexible schedule. There are always openings available in major cities so the WT can move Dubs around easily, keep them from becoming settled.

The down-side of course is that nurses are required to administer blood transfusions; in reality nurses administer ALL of them. Using the ER RN as an example, there is no option; It is a required part of his job.

The Dubs prohibit members from being police, soldiers, tobacco farmers etc. because guns and tobacco are distasteful to God, but why are there no restrictions against being a nurse when no-blood is a core belief?

• Scully
    Scully

I've seen a couple of JW student-nurses come through our department that refuse to have anything to do with blood transfusions or blood products.

I have had interesting conversations with their Clinical Instructors and provided them with print-outs from the WT CD ROM that outline the following points:

• It is not the nurse's decision to administer blood or blood products - it is a doctor's order.
    • It is not the nurse's choice to receive a blood transfusion or a blood product - it is the patient's decision with informed consent.
    • Current New Light™ which allowed for JWs to accept blood fractions as a Conscience Matter™.

Also, from the point of view of the nursing profession:

It is not the nurse's perogative to impose her beliefs and values on a patient. It is unprofessional to do so. In the case where a nurse's personal beliefs and values are in conflict with the procedures being carried out, the nurse can request to be reassigned to an area where the conflict no longer exists. One of my colleagues won a civil rights case against her former employer (big $ettlement) because she was fired for refusing to assist in the termination of pregnancies due to her personal beliefs. She had been willing to provide post-operative care for these patients, but her employer insisted that refusing to work where assigned (in the abortion clinic) constituted patient abandonment. The court upheld her right to be a conscientious objector and said that the hospital should have allowed her to be reassigned to another patient care area.

I imagine that this is a legal loophole that JWs can glom onto in order to refuse to administer blood or blood products.

• Scully
    Scully

w6411/15pp.682-683EmploymentandYourConscience***

The Society does not endorse any of the modern medical uses of blood, such as the uses of blood in connection with inoculations. Inoculation is, however, a virtually unavoidable circumstance in some segments of society, and so we leave it up to the conscience of the individual to determine whether to submit to inoculation with a serum containing blood fractions for the purpose of building up antibodies to fight against disease. If a person did this, he may derive comfort under the circumstances from the fact that he is not directly eating blood, which is expressly forbidden in God’s Word. It is not used for food or to replace lost blood. Here the Christian must make his own decision based on conscience. Therefore, whether a Christian will submit to inoculation with a serum, or whether doctors or nurses who are Christians will administer such, is for personal decision. Christians in the medical profession are individually responsible for employment decisions. They must bear the consequences of decisions made, in keeping with the principle at Galatians 6:5. Some doctors who are Jehovah’s witnesses have administered blood transfusions to persons of the world upon request. However, they do not do so in the case of one of Jehovah’s dedicated witnesses. In harmony with Deuteronomy 14:21, the administering of blood upon request to worldly persons is left to the Christian doctor’s own conscience. This is similar to the situation facing a Christian butcher or grocer who must decide whether he can conscientiously sell blood sausage to a worldly person.

w754/1pp.215-216AreYouGuidedbyaSensitiveChristianConscience?***

CONSCIENCE

ANDEMPLOYMENT

Employment is an area that brings up many problems calling for the exercise of Christian conscience. Some forms of employment, such as making idols, working in a gambling establishment or being employed by a false religious organization, are clearly contrary to the Scriptures. So Christians shun these. (1 John 5:21; Col. 3:5; Rev. 18:2, 4, 5) Not all employment matters, though, are that clear-cut. Certain employment may be in a "gray area," so to speak. And sometimes, while one’s basic work is unobjectionable, one may be asked occasionally to do something questionable. So conscience can be involved.

For example, there are employment problems involving blood. The Bible states plainly that God’s servants should not feed on blood. (Gen. 9:3, 4; Acts 15:19, 20) Hence, Jehovah’s Christian witnesses do not eat food containing blood, such as blood sausage, or accept blood transfusions. But what if, on your job you were asked to handle blood or blood products occasionally? Would your conscience permit that? A Witness in Colorado worked in a hospital as the chief medical technician running tests of various types on body tissue and fluid. Among the many things he was expected to test were blood samples. Sometimes it was simply to check a patient’s blood for the level of sugar or cholesterol. But at other times it was to cross match for transfusion purposes. Could he do that?

This Christian gave careful thought to the matter. It could be seen that it would not be right for a Christian to work exclusively for a blood bank, where everything was devoted to an end that was in violation of God’s law. But that was not his situation; he ran tests of many kinds. Also, if one were a doctor responsible for the decision, one could not order a blood transfusion for a patient, any more than a Christian store owner could order and stock idols or cigarettes. However, this technician realized that in connection with blood he was merely running a test, even as a nurse might have taken the sample, a messenger might have delivered it to the laboratory and someone else might administer a transfusion or other medication on a doctor’s orders. He reflected on the principle at Deuteronomy 14:21. According to that text a Jew finding a carcass of an animal that died of itself could clear it away by selling it to a foreigner who was not under the Law’s restrictions about animal flesh not drained of its blood. So the technician’s conscience at that time allowed him to run blood tests, including those of blood for transfusions to patients who did not care about God’s law on blood.

Is that how your conscience would have reacted? If not, for the sake of discussion, ask yourself whether your conscience would permit you as an employee to bring the blood sample to the laboratory for testing. Or, taking yet another step farther away from the actual transfusion, could you as a truck driver deliver the testing equipment to the hospital? Or would your conscience let you make glass from which such equipment might be produced? It is clear that not all these things reasonably can be viewed as direct contributions to violating God’s law on blood. But where does one "draw the line"? Here is where conscience comes into play. While the Christian must avoid things that are unmistakably in conflict with God’s law, he is called upon to use his conscience in settling many matters. Would your conscience serve you well in such situations? Is it sensitive?

In this particular case, after many years of running tests, the technician began to be troubled by his conscience. It was not as if someone else should or could tell him that he was doing wrong. Nor was he looking for someone else to make his decisions for him. But he began to think: "Is it consistent to talk of neighbor love, and yet contribute, in part, to my neighbor’s breaking of God’s law?" (Matt. 22:39; Acts 21:25) Appreciating his Christian duty to support his family, he discussed the matter with his wife. (1 Tim. 5:8) Together they agreed that, if his conscience was troubled, it would be better to make a change. He left his $15,000-a-year job and began doing cleaning work, though he started off earning just $3,600 a year.

Let us not miss the point of this example. It is not related here to suggest that a Christian cannot be a medical technician; there are Christians who continue to work as medical technicians, nurses, truck drivers, and so forth. This example is given to illustrate that conscience can come into play on matters of employment. In your case the type of job and what you are asked to do may be quite different. But all Christians should give thought to whether they are living as closely as possible in accord with God’s ways and principles. If your conscience trained by God’s Word is pained because of what is asked of you, will you ignore it? Just how important is it to you to have a clear conscience before God and men?—1 Tim. 1:5, 19.

Of course, we cannot altogether avoid employment problems, for we are still in this system of things. (1 Cor. 5:9, 10) Thus you likely realize that you may not be able to move your boss to cultivate a Christian conscience. He may choose to disregard certain laws, he may exaggerate the merits of his products or he may stock some items that you would not if you owned the business. Or your fellow workers may lie on their production reports or loaf when the boss is not nearby. Still, you can and should respond to your conscience. So if it does not allow you to do certain things or if you are ridiculed for your hard work, accept that. The apostle Peter wrote: "If someone, because of conscience toward God, bears up under grievous things and suffers unjustly, this is an agreeable thing."—1 Pet. 2:18, 19.

• one of 12
    one of 12

I have been a baptized witless since I was 13 years old. I wanted to study midwifery since then but my mother

wouldn't let me because of the blood issue. I am now 42 and am entering my first year of a three year bachelor

on Midwifery degree. I have no issues with blood. Five weeks ago my daughter delivered her second baby, a

9lb 12oz son, and lost a heap of blood on the operating table post ceasearian, and her father and I offered to

the hospital our blood, if needed, for our daughter. It ended up she didn't need it but at least her Dad and I are

'clean' and related with no risk of tainting. I have not associated with the local cong. for at least 7 years, but a

good point Scully that it okay for some but discouraged for others.

New Grandson, born 21/12/06 weighing in at 9lb12oz named Xavier (our lord and Xavier)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit