Meditation, letting the demons in

by free2beme 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Clam
    Clam

Yes I've seen the Society's magazine articles about the "dangers" of meditation and also in related yoga practices. Their theory of demon posession during altered states is quite an interesting one though. Like free2beme I also got into meditation with martial arts. The meditation consisted of deep relaxation, usually aided by concentrating on candle flames. Then a few years ago, without going into the reasons, I was drawn to spiritualism. At a development circle I was taught to open my chakras but with important emphasis on asking for protection. Since spiritualists are almost always going down the route of communication with spirits, all the ones I know take very seriously the threat of negative spirits and energies. Since in seances it's not unusual for mediums or trainee mediums to speak in trance, there has to be some element of "letting go". By this I mean giving permission to a non earthly entity to use their human faculties for communication. Protection consists of prayer and visualisation techniques, and is part and parcel of spiritualist meditation: well in my experience anyway. Maybe this is how the JWs look at meditation and why they're frightened of it? However meditation takes many forms and the benefits cannot be understated. There are lots of Cds which are very helpful but certain classical music can also be a great aid.

• vitty
    vitty

I have been interested in meditation, so heres a couple of questions.

Do you have to sit up or can you lie down?

Has it got to be very quiet or do you listen to music?

And what stops you from falling asleep?

• bernadette
    bernadette

I have found simply keeping aware of my breathing brings me into a state of meditation and deep relaxation.

Than giving my attention to the present and calmly not getting sidetracked by the dramas my mind creates and wants to involve me in is one way to start.

Attending to and absorbing nature also helps.

bernadette

• Satanus
    Satanus

vitty

Do you have to sit up or can you lie down?

Sitting up in a chair is the best. You could do it lying down, or walking, or even while you are driving. Doing it while driving can calm you, but it doesn't work nearly as well as the other two positions.

Has it got to be very quiet or do you listen to music?

Some people use quiet new age type music. I prefer quiet. I think really serious meditation doesn't rely on music, or anything.

And what stops you from falling asleep?

That is one reason to do it sitting up in a chair. Japanese zen buddhist moinks have someone w a stick keeping an eye on them. Someone falling asleep gets a thwack

S

Ps, for really serious meditation, i take one or two tokes of the herb. Practitioners recommend against it, because it is a short cut. If you try this, it would be better to learn it without, first, like learning to drive a standard 4 cylender before driving a v8 automatic turbo and nitrous oxide (car).

• jinjam
    jinjam

i do yoga, i find it really helps clear your mind,i'm not really into buddhism, but i have to say its calming, makes you feel good, get a cd on yoga or even a book, basically its good stretching and breathing execises,people always thinks doing yoga is wierd, try it for yourself.Its always better without music, try and find a quiet corner in your house!

• Sirona
    Sirona

Its DB74 posting on Sironas PC!

The problem that medititation poses for the WTBTS is that it opens ones mind and provides a sense of clarity; lets be blunt clarity leads to thought; thought leads to questions, questions lead to answers (or lack of them). Its this the society wishes to avoid.

No wonder they demonise medititation!

DB74

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Meditation, yoga, martial arts are all things that strengthen the mind and body. The JWs can't have people with strong minds and secure in themselves alone. This is the "real" reason they ban that stuff.

::searching4truth said: "I have been really wanting to experiment with meditation but don't know where to start"

Freedomloverr has a great book called "The Buddha's Way" (http://www.amazon.com/Buddhas-Way-H-Saddhatissa/dp/0807606359)that is a great intro to Buddhism that focuses on the non-religious aspects of it and on the main forms of Buddhist meditation. It's out of print now and the used ones are VERY expensive (i.e. $50-60). But it is written in regular english and is not cryptic by any means.

I also am in the middle of an eight-week course called 8-minute meditation (http://www.amazon.com/Minute-Meditation-Quiet-Mind-Change/dp/0399529950) that has got stellar reviews from everyone who has tried it - secular business people to spiritual people. It is not cheesy like some "For Dummies" books but is instead very respectful of the practice of meditation. The author doesn't get into the Buddhism part as much so it was kinda helpful for me to read a little on the Buddhist stuff in the first book (The Buddha's Way) - I knew a little more of what the author of the 8-minute book was talking about when he merely touched on points relating to Buddhism. I'm a little anal-retentive that way though.

Those would be the two books I would recommend. It's working for me anyways.

-ithinkisee

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hmmm

I agree that meditation can influence a person to think "outside of the box". However, I don't think that it, in itself, can induce open mindedness.

I suspect that the Watchtower leaders have other motives for preventing meditation. One of these motives could be the desire to prevent "supernatural" experiences in the rank and file JW. Meditation when done correctly and with the right attitude can produce some lovely spiritual type experiences. These experiences will be contained within the framework of a person's existing belief system. Therefore, a JW who meditates could experience a vision similar to John's in revelations. He may see Jehovah on his throne in all his glory and be given an inspirational message. How would that affect the JW religion if its members suddenly went to the KHall with experiences like this?

They would have a problem telling the individual that demons initiated the vision, considering that we're supposed to all accept the biblical visions as from God.

Just an idea.

Sirona

• Satanus
    Satanus

"Pure" meditation brings a blank slate, free of beliefs, fears, expectations. It isn't even breath focussed. It may be what james thomas talks about. Regular meditation practice can get a person into that direction. In fact, it seems to me that the main goal of meditation should be to acheive the ability sluff off all things. Other kinds of meditation can be used to explore issues in ones subconscious, ones relations to others, etc. Those are called focussed meditations.

S

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I agree that meditation can influence a person to think "outside of the box". However, I don't think that it, in itself, can induce open mindedness

To some degree thinking outside the box requires an element of open mindedness however I was approaching meditation from a relaxation standpoint as opposed to the mystical. If their members relax and begin to think outside of the box, this is hardly going to be a desirable effect.

I suspect that the Watchtower leaders have other motives for preventing meditation. One of these motives could be the desire to prevent "supernatural" experiences in the rank and file JW. Meditation when done correctly and with the right attitude can produce some lovely spiritual type experiences. These experiences will be contained within the framework of a person's existing belief system. Therefore, a JW who meditates could experience a vision similar to John's in revelations. He may see Jehovah on his throne in all his glory and be given an inspirational message. How would that affect the JW religion if its members suddenly went to the KHall with experiences like this?

I hadnt thought of it this way before, given they have been preaching that God speaks only through his organisation, this would pose a great threat to their position.

DB74

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit