What Do You Think About Jesus' Failed Prophecy?

by Morocco 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• heathen
    heathen

If I remember correctly the WTBTS had it that jesus was talking about his transfiguration and the appearance of elijah and moses .So in effect they saw the future kingdom not actually inheriting the kingdom at that point. The "this generation" is talking about the end times .IMO

• Forscher
    Forscher

I suppose I’m addressing the believers/agnostics more than the atheists on this one, but please, everyone feel free to comment.

So, it is apparent from the scriptures that Jesus and his followers believed that the end of the world was coming in their own lifetime.

I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. – (Matthew 24:34, Mark 13:30)

I suppose you could debate those scriptures like the Watchtower has – “this generation” is some future generation. But what about these :

Matthew 16:28 “I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Mark 9:1 “And he said to them, ‘I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power.’”

Luke 9:27 “I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God.”,/p>

So “some standing here”, as in some listening to Jesus speaking, was in reference to people of that specific day (not day as in time, day as in 24 hour day). THOSE people, at THAT time. It was obvious that Jesus prophecy failed, unless he never made this prophecy which is a whole other can of worms and one which stinks just as bad. What does everything think about it?

Your first "failed prophecy" is interesting since it and the rest of the prophecy was so accurately fufilled by the events which led up to the Fall of Jerusalem in 70 ad that the fulfillment is the main reason that the synoptic Gospels are dated well after that even by "mainstream Scholars," who don't believe in prophecy in the first place. The trouble comes from the interpretation that Jesus was also foretelling a future event and the timeframes which such apocalyptical types impose on that intepretaion.

As for the rest of the "failed prophecies" you cite, those were fulfilled within the week, as recorded for us by Matthew in the very next chapter.

Forscher

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Your first "failed prophecy" is interesting since it and the rest of the prophecy was so accurately fufilled by the events which led up to the Fall of Jerusalem in 70 ad that the fulfillment is the main reason that the synoptic Gospels are dated well after that even by "mainstream Scholars," who don't believe in prophecy in the first place. The trouble comes from the interpretation that Jesus was also foretelling a future event and the timeframes which such apocalyptical types impose on that intepretaion.

Compare:

But in those days, after that suffering,
    the sun will be darkened,
    and the moon will not give its light,
    and the stars will be falling from heaven,
    and the powers in the heavens will be shaken.
    Then they will see 'the Son of Man coming in clouds' with great power and glory. Then he will send out the angels, and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven.
    From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near. So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that he is near, at the very gates.
    Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

The events above were meant to happen to the 70 AD "generation" (Mark 13; Matthew 24). Which was probably believable for a few decades after 70 AD. When this scenario is no longer believable Luke changes it, by splitting the material referring to Jerusalem's Fall and the coming of the Son of Man chapters apart (17; 21), and introducing the famous "times of Gentiles" in the meantime.

Btw, one important text the list omitted is Matthew 10:23, referring to the Jewish mission before its extension to Gentiles (cf. v. 5f):

truly I tell you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Whether the failed prophecies are historically Jesus', otoh, is another big topic.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

So, it is apparent from the scriptures that Jesus and his followers believed that the end of the world was coming in their own lifetime.

I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. – (Matthew 24:34, Mark 13:30)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- sounds like a jw moment - "this is the assumption we will now build much upon"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The word he spoke was spirit - as in "born again" - i think even the jws have started to figure out "not literal" sometimes - when their prophect fails anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit