Getting perspective...

by Gregor 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

Cascade Locks, Oregon

Here in the heart of the Columbia River gorge we live beneath the looming, snow covered crags of the Cascade mountain range where the Columbia River cuts through its spectacular canyon about 1500 feet deep and a mile wide.. We are on the Oregon side of the river and when we step out on the porch we literally must look almost straight up to see the peaks. I have been building a tool shed out in the back but can only work a couple of hours at a time because of the rain and cold of the last few weeks. Today, after a couple of hours, the rain started to turn to snow so I stowed the tools and put the tarp over my material and secured it with big rocks. I went in and stripped off my wet clothes and got into some dry ones, turned on the heat under the pot of split pea and ham soup I made yesterday and poured myself a glass of Cabernet. As I ate my soup and watched the snow drift down I reflected on all the things that are going on in my life right now that are making me feel sad. Last year brought more than its share of bad news and the ripples have gone on and on. As many of you know, I don't believe in a god. I think that what we see is what we get. But there is a lot we can do to deal with reality in a positive way. I have a couple of bird feeders outside the window and I watch the little junkos and chickadees taking advantage of the windfall I have provided. They are so preoccupied with simple survival that they have no time to feel worry or sadness. They look very happy to have this food available in the winter and that's all they concern themselves with. I've got to concentrate on being happy with a roof over my head and a bowl of hot soup. I know it will get better.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Gregor,

A very wise and sobering post.

Thank you.

HS

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I've heard it said before that people get depressed because they have too much time on their hands. Time to think about things. I think I'll take the time and a little depression. I've done the working all the time, I didntl like that either. Good provocative post.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings Gregor,

When I penned my light-hearted post a couple hours ago [INDULGE YOURSELF / etc.], it was not without unspoken sentiment relative to yours. I am alone at my little cottage on "Walden Pond" after many years of very hard work and raising a family. I am surrounded by art, music and BOOKS [and JWD]. I am so grateful for the roof over my head, and that I was able to take the entire week off and stay put. No need to travel about. I am recovering from shattered-faith syndrome and remain hopeful for my JW kith and kin.

I am particularly moved by your post as I am an armchair traveler and have been to the Cascades in WA via Betty MacDonald's wonderful autobiops, THE EGG AND I & ONIONS IN THE STEW [Puget Sound]. My mom introduced me to that wonderful region of the USA through Betty's work 50 years ago. Though you are in Oregon, your little story has, as of the last ten minutes, transported me to a very happy place. Despite your ups and downs [I DO UNDERSTAND!], I am now in your presence, giving you a cyber-slap on the back and saying CHEERS!

Thank you so very much,

CoCo

• praiseband
    praiseband

Hey Gregor! I also live in the NW and absolutely love Washington and Oregon and I've often thought that the rainy winters we have were so perfect for just cocooning away with a good book, hot chocolate, music, needlework or other projects. They offer us the opportunity to slow things down a bit and really reflect on what we have to be thankful for. My family sponsors children through World Vision who are in Ethiopia and Honduras and when I sometimes get too overwhelmed with my own problems I think of them and their families. Our family has had some rough times lately with medical issues and we have all just decided the best way to cope with the emotional and financial stress is one day at a time, sometimes just one hour or even five minutes at a time!! I will be thinking of you and will keep you in my prayers. Praise

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit