If there is no life after death

by onacruse 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"So who is going to remember, or even care about your precious "legacy"?"

Probably a handful more people will remember and care about a decent, intelligent, "smart" person than will remember and care about a stupid asshole.

I wonder if this whole discussion boils down to "why shouldn't I just be an asshole, instead of a repressed asshole?". The cool thing is that when you find the answer, you can move on.... being neither ;)

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Probably a handful more people will remember and care about a decent, intelligent, "smart" person than will remember and care about a stupid asshole.

Six,

Why are you such a coward?

Warlock

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"Why are you such a coward?"

That's good; move past that repression. Let's meet again next week.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    That's good; move past that repression. Let's meet again next week

I don't even think you got it.

Warlock

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Warlock:

First of all, you smart guys always have to take some type of shot. Why is that? It's probably deep seated insecurity of your own "higher intelligence".

No, I was just confused as to why you were laughing out loud. My comment wasn't intended to be humorous so there's the possibility that you misunderstood it, that you were laughing at me rather than with me, or that you tend to type "LOL" at inappropriate places. I still don't know, given that you took offense instead of clarifying.

Second of all, if there is nothing after death, for at least for some of us, this life is just a waste, a tease, and for what?

For itself. For all the joy life can give us, for beautiful sunsets and chocolate cake and sex and music. I prefer to focus on how lucky I am to be alive rather than complaining that life isn't good enough or long enough. It's only a waste if you waste it.

So who is going to remember, or even care about your precious "legacy"?

If nobody else, my friends and family, the people whose lives I touch. If I'm lucky - and good enough - maybe many more. Was Shakespeare's life a waste? Was Mozart's? Isaac Newton, Leonardo da Vinci, Albert Einstein, Mohandas Gandhi? Do you really believe that unless those people are still alive in some spirit world their lives were meaningless?

• Warlock
    Warlock
    If nobody else, my friends and family, the people whose lives I touch. If I'm lucky - and good enough - maybe many more. Was Shakespeare's life a waste? Was Mozart's? Isaac Newton, Leonardo da Vinci, Albert Einstein, Mohandas Gandhi? Do you really believe that unless those people are still alive in some spirit world their lives were meaningless?

Now, why did I figure you were going to bring these people into it?

One of my points is these people who you name are only six people. Those who's names are written down in history are a very tiny percentage of all the people that have ever, or will ever live. What about everyone else? You cannot tell me that there are others who did not have the same talents, although dormant in some cases, I'm sure, as these people? What about those who worked just as hard, but got no recognition? What about those who had the same ideas, but were born at the wrong time? What about those born in the wrong place?

Concerning being remembered by your friends and family, to what generation? And how many in your family have been forgotten thru the passing of time?

I do not disagree that you can't live a full and productive life in the short period of time that you have here on earth. I do not think those you named above had meaningless lives. It's just that I cannot agree that this very short period of time is all we have as some type of conscious being.

Warlock

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Warlock:

One of my points is these people who you name are only six people. Those who's names are written down in history are a very tiny percentage of all the people that have ever, or will ever live.

And those who have lived are in turn a tiny percentage of those who might have lived. They should count themselves lucky.

What about everyone else? You cannot tell me that there are others who did not have the same talents, although dormant in some cases, I'm sure, as these people? What about those who worked just as hard, but got no recognition? What about those who had the same ideas, but were born at the wrong time? What about those born in the wrong place?

Your question seems to boil down to: "Why isn't everything wonderful for everybody all the time?" As a materialist, I see no reason why it should be, as much as I might want it. We can choose to make it better and help more people realise their potential. We can't do everything but we can do something.

Concerning being remembered by your friends and family, to what generation? And how many in your family have been forgotten thru the passing of time?

Most have been forgotten, no doubt, but their DNA still jostles around and gets to combine in new and interesting ways. After the stories stop being told, that may be all we have.

I do not disagree that you can't live a full and productive life in the short period of time that you have here on earth. I do not think those you named above had meaningless lives. It's just that I cannot agree that this very short period of time is all we have as some type of conscious being.

I'm aware that you believe it is not the case that this life is it. But that's a separate discussion. My point in this thread is that even if it is the case, that is not cause for despair. I'd love to win the lottery or otherwise become rich. But I'm not going to think my life is pointless because it's not ideal. I earn enough to get by. I'd like to be able to live longer - maybe even forever, I'm not sure. Hell, I'd like to be able to fly or travel through time. But wishing doesn't make it so. And my inability to do any of those things shouldn't stop me enjoying the things I can do.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Derek,

Fair enough.

Warlock

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If there is no life after death,your not going to know about it..Because your Friggin Dead!!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Warlock
    Warlock
    If there is no life after death,your not going to know about it.

Exactly, Outlaw. Exactly.

The only way to know for sure, will be the day you die.

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit