"Ashley Treatment" keeps severely disabled girl from growing

by Fe2O3Girl 25 Replies latest social current

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    It prevents the person from experienceing things they are not mentally able to handle...In my humble opinion. It is a tough one though.

In working with challenged individuals, I recall one woman who was mentally on a level with about a 6 year old. There were things she could do for and by herself, but physical growth was something that was difficult for her to deal with so that despite the best and most patient of teachings about the menstrual cycle and periods, she freaked out when she started her period at 14. I don't mean simply freaking out, I mean, totally losing it because she could not comprehend what was happening to her. She was sedated and hospitalized for almost a month but afterward there were severe lapses for her. Ultimately she ended up pregnant at about 19 and again, could not cope and did not understand what having a baby really was. She went into labour on the street, the baby was put into foster care immediately and later adopted out. She spent the rest of her short life having nightmares about what happened and much of that time she was in a mental health facility. I'm sure the decision the parents made was not without a great deal of thought. sammieswife.

• wednesday
    wednesday

It must be so hard to raise a child in this condition and still try to let the other children have normal lives. I don't know if I agree with what they did, but I do agree that preventing her from becoming pregnant, by any means is a good idea. that she does not need. The other, I can't say. Yes it is harder to handle a bigger person, and the hormones that go with becoming an adult can be confusing to the most intelligent of us. it will be hard for her. They say they are doing this so she can stay at home. I think she is better at home than in an institution.

Several years ago they liberated all the mental patients in hospitals. they thought they did them a favor. Most had been in there so long, had no family, they had no way to providefor themselves and ended up on the streests, and it is still that way.. some times we need to just leave things alone and let people make decisions for their family.

it is really a sad situation and I think the parents are doing what they think is best and I am so grateful it is not me that must make this decision, and would never dream to critize them.

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

While I can appreciate that these modifications could greatly benefit both the severly mentally retarded, and also their caregivers...I see this as a very dangerous precident. I worked with the mentally retarded for 7 plus years, and I can think of many different things that would have benefitted us and could have been easily justified. There was one individual who would be fed through a tube for the rest of her life, including liquids. Could take nothing orally. She also had no ability to use her limbs. Her dental care was extremely difficult. Dental visits required sedation. She had about ten teeth including some molars and broken ones. Should we have had them removed? Decaying teeth in you mouth is of no benefit to you, and it leads to all the problem of maintaining what is left, and really served no useful purpose anyway. It would also make it so much easier to care for her. Remove them?

What you don't know, is that she liked to look at her smile(as scary and horrible as it was to me) in the mirror. What if someone with just a little less mentality was the same way, but nobody noticed it because they had a little less ability to show it?...

I'm surprised how many seem to be leaning in the direction they are, and it isn't just this forum. I wouldn't want to personally make that decision, but right now I'd have to say that I'm opposed to it.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Thanks to all for your comments and opinions. I have also been watching discussions on this issue on other message boards. Some people on other boards seem to have come to conclusions without possession of all the facts of this case, which are clearly presented in the link in my first post.

I agree that Ashley's case should not set a precedent for care of any other disabled person. Every person should have their care and treatment planned based on their own needs and circumstances.

I referenced our previous discussion on male infant circumcision because it raised with me the same issues of consent, risk and benefit. Ashley will never be capable of consent to any treatment. What are the risks of the treatments she has had? What are the benefits?

Some people have focussed on how keeping Ashley child-sized will make it easier for her to be lifted and moved. I believe the primary reason was that apart from general care, she will be less susceptible to bed sores. Nonetheless, is there a principle that caring for a disabled person has to be as difficult as possible?

Regarding the question of pain associated with surgery, the information presented in the parents' website (linked in my first post) was that removal of immature breast buds was a simple procedure not comparable to adult mastectomy. I don't know whether the same conclusion can be drawn regarding hysterectomy in a child.

I remember caring for a 3 month old infant. Now he weighs over 20lb, and is a walking, pointing, chattering bundle of mischief. This morning he collected all the clean washing drying on the radiators and put it in the washing machine. I believe that his interest in laundry is likely to wane as he grows up.

I can understand why Ashley's parents have taken these decisions. Interestlingly they say that there was no dilemma for them because it was absolutely clear that it was the best thing for Ashley.

• mother of 3
    mother of 3

I just today read about this situation and would like to offer my parental opinion.I agree and would support these arents most dificult decision.although they have said it was not difficult but rather perfectly clear to them what was in the best intrest fotr their child.I am raiseing a mentaly delayed child although I did not birth her I have had her since birth and have adopted her and she is to me as if I had given her her life.Yhankfully my child is not as bad off as this sweet child ,Ashley ,but I share the delema ..She is now of the age of puberty.mentaly she is about 4 or 5 but cronolicly she is almost 12.Very friewndly.I have hopes that she can pick up if you will and in time mature at least to mid teans .I dont like th idea od possiably haveing to surgicaly denying her the ability to give birth but if it came to it .For her best intrest I would have to make that decision.She loves babys but if she were to become pregnate she could never go through a birth The pain alone would probably put her into a seizure episode that could kill her.So would I make the decision to protect her life you bet.hes parents had to make a choice to protect their child.To give her the best quality psooiable in a certainly impossiable situation.I aploud them for haveing the courage to strike out in unchatrtered waters of moral and medical issues and think of their child befor any thing else.What do all these jugmental people think they should have done? Nothing and then when she is a mature(physiacly) adult.How could they hold her in their arms and give her the only comfort and joy she is capeable of.Who of us could carry a, say , 150 pound adult through the market on grocery day.She will be a baby for ever at least they can this way care for her at home and she wont have to go through the trama of physically matureing and all those issues.I dont want to sound cold in any way but honestly .the mamery glands are for one perpose..to feed a baby that she could never raise ansd should never have.The uterus and all the othe female parts are for one function also to give birth.God knows she does not need that .She will have the best life her loveing parents can give this way.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    One person asked about the motivation for the surgeries to prevent sexual maturation, including the breasts. This is to prevent her from becoming a victim of sexual abuse by unscrupulous caregivers, etc. Unfortunately, this kind of thing happens all too often to vulnerable adults, females especially.

I have to agree with this point of view. I knew of a few female developmentally disabled persons who were raped/abused by members of their own families even and ended up pregnant or with a disease. How devastating it would be for both the parents and this girl if that happened to her, on top of everything else they have to go through. There are unfortunately so many bad people out there you can never ever be too careful. There are folks who prey on these types of persons. How sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit