Are Civil Marriges Acceptable?

by hopelesslystained 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

I am asking this for another. My sister has a sister in law who has been with her partner for over 15 yrs and they have recently decided to make their union legal by getting married in a civil court. Now they wish to become active in the local congregation. They have been told that they are not recognized as being married by the elders until they have been married by an elder. So, in the meantime, they are to live apart and have no sexual relations with each other. Not only that, they have been instructed to have a chaperone anytime they are together.

Is this something new? I have been away for over 20yrs. I thought civil marriages were recognized! Or, is this some weird discerning of their local elders? Please help...

Thanks,
    Hope

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Civil marriages are completely acceptable. Whoever is telling you differently doesn't know what they're talking about. Sounds like a local elder who doesn't know shit! No surprise there.

So, they've lived together for 15 years, but now have to live apart and have chaperones!? Only in the wacky world of the Witnesses would such nonsense be tolerated. Are they baptized? Publishers? If not, the elders have no say over them. They may not be able to become publishers or get baptized, but they can certainly live together until they have the wedding.

God, these poor souls, what are they doing to themselves!

S4

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

All you need is the piece of paper. Someone is talking out of their ass.

Hopefully it will help them see the ridiculousness of some of the power-hungry minions of the WTS.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Depending on their circumstances, I doubt that an elder would even marry them until they had been JW's for at least a year or so. A civil ceremony is certainly acceptable and they should go ahead with their plans to marry this way! The JW's accept a legal marriage certificate...period.

Swalker

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

Thanks all so far! The wife is definitly baptized and he more than likely is.

• searching4truth
    searching4truth

If that were the case any couples together prior to enter the wts would have to remarry

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

Swalker --- They are already married in the civil court. It is the local congregation elders who are refusing to recognize the union. They (ughmm foolishly) are wishing to become active and recognized at this time.

I am guessing they are wanting to reconnect with family who are active (which is most all of their immediate and extended known family).

Hope

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

searching4truth---why would they have to remarry? Please clarify.

I have to add, they were not shunned in the past by family (I just found out)just instructed as above in order to come into 'good standing' as it were.

hey, i don't get it either. just asking if there is something i am unaware of or missing.

hope

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

That's exactly the point - there's no point to their request. They are being stupid, and likely just trying to be awkward.

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

LittleToe---yes, you are probably right. Although I am not personally involved, that is my conclusion as well.

Strange beings indeed, this so-called religeon attracts.

I should probably add, for the most part, I feel most of the attracted individuals are those who are looking for something better than what they already know. Certainly the hope of an everlasting, healthy, and youthful life in a paradise is a most glorious carrot held out on a stick in front of one's nose. Something to slave for...

silly, really, isn't it when looked at from the reality point of view instead of the 'you must believe' side?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit