More JW folklore

by looking_glass 31 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

has anyone seen this? It was just sent to me. Folklore, wives tales, or JW BS, whatever you want to call it, I am sure it will pass around the globe in record time and become an honest to goodness TRUTH.

Prayers of Children (Experience)

This experience was given at a Circuit Assembly in California. The District Overseer concluded by saying, "Never feel that Jehovah doesn't answer prayers, even those of a little child."

A young couple wanted to have a family very much, but the wife was unable to conceive, so they decided to adopt a baby. They went to several agencies and were told that it would take several years before they could get an infant, but if they wanted to adopt one from a foreign country, such as Korea or Vietnam, they could get a baby much sooner.

They were told that if they would consider a child of about 7 or 8 years, they would get one almost immediately. So, they put their application in for an older foreign child.

While all of this was taking place, the couple was contacted in the door-to-door ministry by Jehovah's Witnesses. They began studying, progressed very quickly, and were soon baptised. They became very active in field service, and decided to regular pioneer.

Therefore, they would wait until the New System to have children. They went to the adoption agency and informed them of the circumstances, and told them of their desire to stop the proceedings. However, they were told that the agency had just been notified that a little boy from Vietnam was on his way for them. The agency pleaded with them not to cancel.

With mixed feelings they went home to think it over. They took it in prayer to Jehovah and decided to go ahead with the adoption. They figured since he was older and would be in school most of the day, they would go ahead with their plans to pioneer, and just see how things work out.

They prepared their home for the arrival of their new son, fixed up the bedroom, bought lots of toys, and placed a copy of "My Book of Bible Stories" on his dresser. At last, the day came to bring the little boy home. They showed him through the kitchen and living room. He seemed so sad and unresponsive. Then they showed him his bedroom. He hardly glanced at the room full of toys, but spotted the Bible Story Book immediately. He ran over, grabbed the book, held it to his chest, and began crying. When they were finally able to calm him down enough to talk, he explained that both his mother and father had been Jehovah's Witnesses before they were killed in Vietnam. He had been praying to Jehovah that he would be adopted by a family of Jehovah's Witnesses.

• merfi
    merfi

Ya know, there was a time that a story like that would have brought tears to my eyes... Now it just brings that icky feeling to my throat.

• pobthespazz
    pobthespazz

Complete utter Bull-shite and the instigator of the story should be ashamed of himself

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

But you know there were those at the ass ..embly that did start crying. I am surprised they talked about it because I think that they did not want people to have kids "in this system" because the end is close at hand, so people adopting have got to really be disobeying the WTBTS.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I'm totally Convinced the Watchtower Group Makes up these Stories.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Maybe the WTBTS has its own Urban Legend Department that makes them up and spreads them the globe around. I know there were other threads about urban legends folklore and we had a lot of the same ones.

• Nellie
    Nellie

I'm with Merfi

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

So in other words, Nellie, it made you throw up a little in your mouth. I had to laugh because my GF who sent it to me is a strong JW and I just know how she took it (picture the "aahhhh" expression and hand over heart, along w/ the bobbing of the head)

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

i don't think that it's completely impossible... but i guess it's kind of like the pentecostal person who prays to win the lottery and then wins it and attributes it to God... it's merely coincidence, no?

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Well, I am certainly not one to throw stones, but really the numerous stories that are "shared" during the assemblies that are based on true life experiences, they can be a little far fetched. Like the story of the guy who was robbing a house and then the people came home from the mtg and the mom read the kid a night time scripture about the theft who turned his life around. The mom left the bible on the kids dresser and the next day it was gone. Years later a man comes to their door to say "here's your bible, I heard what you read to your kid, stole the bible and started studying w/ the JWs and now I one of your brothers". Sorry, but I don't buy into the JW hooey!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit