My Best Friend... Wasted youth

by trapjaw 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• trapjaw
    trapjaw

Thanks for the edit, exjdub. And thanks for the tip bubble, I'll make sure I uncheck HTML and check the other box in future.

Yeah, diamondlblue, I've done quite a bit of research over the past few days, once I get an interest in something I just start reading and searching, and since the topic concerned the wellbeing of my friend, I was obviously more inclined to get to the bottom of it. Anyways, I'll keep trying to update the story periodically with any developments.

The latest is that I saw my friend today, he told me he's going to have to undergo some serious dental surgery for removal of wisdom teeth sometime in the future. Problem is, he doesn't have medical insurance, and his parents can't afford to pay for it either. So again, I suggested to him that he go to Taiwan because over there (or in Thailand, which is close) medical procedures are a lot cheaper (but nonetheless still very competent), and also, he'd be earning dcent money to cover it anyway.

Basically, over here, the op would cost the equivalent of about 4,300 US dollars, whereas if he did it in Asia it would most likely cost a quarter or even a fifth or sixth of that.

If he just stays and tries to work it off here, with the cash he'd be earning it'd take him years to pay that off... Hopefully this will appeal to his reason.

I've pretty much been explaining to him how my time overseas made me a lot more mature, independent, etc and how it was one of the best things I've ever done with my life, hoping some of this will brush off on him. I'm sure if he could just break away from the organisation for a while and begin to see things through a different perspective, he might begin to re-evaluate and question the things he's been programmed to think.

• Steve4nLanguage
    Steve4nLanguage

Thank you for sharing your story trapjaw. I got teary eyed, and here's why...

I finished my degree before him and headed off to Taiwan to teach english, which was probably one of the best decisions I've made in my life....C dropped out of college halfway through his final year, despite his good grades, saying he had just had enough of the place. I've been urging him ever since to go back and finish the degree. I've also been telling him a lot about Taiwan, and trying to convince him to come back with me, as I'm planning to go back for a while, and move on to travel the world from here.

I can identifiy so much with your friend, and with you. While in high school (and a JW) I fell in love with languages, and dreamed of going abroad, teaching English, and learning the local language. I was even accepted to Georgetown University, one of the best language schools in the US. However, the infuriating JW teaching that "higher education=satan's education" caused me to decline the Georgetown acceptance, go to community college for 1 year, drop out to pioneer (full-time preaching), then get stuck at jobs I hate until this very day, frustrated at not going for my dream.

I wish I had had a friend like you at that age; please keep encouraging him. Just continue being his friend and keep on telling him all the wonderful stories about your adventures. Hopefully he will come around.

By the way, I finally started back at college two years ago, but because I work fulltime at my crappy job, it will take me until 2009 and age 46 before I graduate. But my determination is strong. And, coincidentally enough trapjaw, I'm hoping to teach in Taiwan (just started studying Mandarin). Good luck to you and to your friend!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Man o' man, I wish I had a friend like you trapjaw when I was captured. I used to feel bad for going to see art films like "His Own Private Idaho" and "Imagine" the John Lennon bio/documentary. What a rebel I was. Pathetic. I admire your determination to be there for your friend. Just don't be surprised if he swings to the extreme and backs off. Sad, but true. You've seen it on small levels in the past.

Good luck,

W.Once

• trapjaw
    trapjaw

That's a sad story Steve4nLanguage.. I'm sorry you didn't realise your dreams when young. Man, what a crock of shit, denying someone a higher education. Well, the good thing is, you haven't given up on your dreams. While it is a bit harder for older guys to find jobs, it's definitely not impossible. One of my friends there was in his late forties and still got jobs. Good luck for teaching in Taiwan man! Maybe I'll see you there when I go back. Do yourself a favour and check out www.forumosa.com, you'll find the answers to pretty much ANY questions, and more, about life as a foreigner in Taiwan. Very useful.

W. Once, yeah, I'm hoping he doesn't retreat and get sucked into the web more. That's why I'm encouraging him to go back to university - there, he was surrounded by decent, open-minded people and that was the time he was most free.

• nonamegiven
    nonamegiven

Man, that hit hard. See, I am your friend. Not literally but in many aspects I mirror your friend. Now that I'm in my 30's and just trying to live for the first time in my life I see my wasted youth. So, from that standpoint I am your friend. In some ways I am you. I now see my friends and want to get them out of this cult soo badly that it hurts. After I am able to get out cleanly I will begin that adventure. I also see this situation from a different perspective. I am a father of 3 and want to avoid my kids being your friend. I do appreciate the many safeguards put in place by the WTBTS but am ticked that I never went to colledge, never felt like I fit in with anyone else and ultimately (now) feel a great lack of love.

Thanks for the post and the best of luck to you and C.

• Steve4nLanguage
    Steve4nLanguage

TRAPJAW: Thanks for the encouragement on the age thing. And thanks especially for the link; I registered and am excitedly devouring the information there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit